Where to start? New 3DS XL - Ver. 11.6.0-39U

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by jtb1995, Nov 11, 2018.

1. jtb1995
    OP

jtb1995 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2016
    United States
    Hey all,

Just purchased a New 3DS XL that's running version 11.6.0-39U and am wondering where to start. My main goal is to be able to play games "obtained" from the internet, whether that be from the freeshop or another source doesn't really matter to me. The 3ds.hacks.guide says 11.6 users should use a flashcart. Is that my only option? Or should I update the firmware to 11.8 and do the boot9strap (Seedminer) method? Any advice would be great. I'm new to the scene am would appreciate not falling into the classic rookie mistakes.

2. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    Frogminer is free, but I recommend still getting the flashcard. Also freeshop is dead because NUS downloads are locked now

3. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Update to 11.8 and use Frogminer (the free version of Seedminer), although Sm still works fine if you have one of the supported titles and saves you some trouble. The guide for Frogminer is this one: https://jisagi.github.io/FrogminerGuide/ (Still hasn't been added to 3ds.hacks.guide because Plailect is a busy man)

4. jtb1995
    OP

jtb1995 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2016
    United States
    Thanks, good to know. So either look into getting a flashcard or use frogminer. And either of those work on the latest firmware so I'm safe to update to the newest version, correct?

5. RandomMan25XX

RandomMan25XX GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    United States
    On Your Hard Drive
    NTRBootHax is unpatchable iirc and frogminer is relatively new so yes they will work on the latest firmware

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted