Homebrew Where to start making my own homebrew

AndyGJorgensen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking to make my own games as a hobbyist for the switch. From what I can tell there is no way to use C++ at this point only C through devkitpro. I assume C++ and other languages will come following CFW. There are many guides teaching C or C++, but I dont know what programming language would give me the most benefit. What would you suggest learning C programming or something else? Mainly looking for some insight on where to start.

Reactions: ploggy

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Have you any experience yet with any programming language?
It’s generally easier to start with an open system and high level coding language to get a grasp before moving on to low level and a closed system (that being C and a hacked switch)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AndyGJorgensen
D

Deleted-442439

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Deleted User

AndyGJorgensen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My programming experience is more in ladder logic (PLC) for a very different language than C. Thanks for the links I will look at them and start watching a bunch of youtube videos on C.

AndyGJorgensen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may look into the discord group later but for now I will learn C. I have a lot to learn before I could consider joining, hopefully some of the drama has died down by then.

D

Deleted-442439

What are these "rules" you speak of?

Like 80% of people that have been kicked failed to find the codeword in rules, very few people actually get banned / kicked unless they ask ridiculous questions, keep pinging high profile team members or spam.

crazyxelite

Trophies
XP
Country
Like 80% of people that have been kicked failed to find the codeword in rules, very few people actually get banned / kicked unless they ask ridiculous questions, keep pinging high profile team members or spam.
English is not my native language is not very fair just because you miss something to be banned straight away

D

Deleted-442439

English is not my native language is not very fair just because you miss something to be banned straight away

Not going to debate if it is fair or not, but the Discord server is a English server and there must be a very basic standard for members to join, if you ask me they should make it even harder due to the complete mess in lower channels lately. Anyway this is off topic as OP said, so we should not discuss it further.

JustBrandonT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Learn C++. It is drastically harder than C (for most people - personally, I didn't find it hard).. "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows your whole leg off." - Stroustrup

However, it comes with more power, and anything you can write in C can be written in C++. You'd have access to templates and classes and smart pointers (RAII, etc).

Last edited by JustBrandonT,

AndyGJorgensen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to be able to make some simple games such as snake, pong, etc. that is my goal and if I am enjoying maybe I will keep at it. I assume either would be possible on C or C++.

D

Deleted User

Codeword verification systems are the worst, they punish people that want to join. Just have an aggressive ban system. Somebody not following rule? Ban.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back