OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty confused about the YAOSM chip. First of all I don't know where people get all of the necessary "parts" to build it. I've looked all around but it's very unclear. I guess you solder a chip on to a programmer, then solder it on to the wii...or something like that (told you i'm confused
tongue.gif
). I'll probably buy a modchip tonight or tomorrow, think I'll end up getting the Wiikey, but, i've heard YAOSM is really cheap and want to learn more about how it works and where to get the stuff to build it, if that's how it works.

Also looking for someone in Tucson who could install a modchip. I'll probably end up doing it myself but would rather a professional do it.

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can get the stuff for the YAOSM from Newark.com, Mouser.com, Digi-Key.com, or pretty much any place that sells electronics components. Newark.com is the cheapest though (I think...its definitely cheaper than mouser.com though)

Here's a list of Newark part numbers for the parts you need for the programmer, as well as the Newark part number for the chip you put the YAOSM code onto:

89H0442
-PIC12F683-I/P
82K7786
-8 Pin Sockets for the PIC12F683-I/P (buy 2; one to solder to the Wii, one for the programmer)
58K8772
-BS170 MOFSET
79K4993
-D-Sub 9 pin connector
58K5031, 58K5030, 58K5002
-2.2 kohm, 10 kohm and 22 kohm resistors

All of these parts should run you $2.50 ish (I think). Use the coupon code "SAVE5" on Newark to save 5%.

Here's a link to the schematic for the programmer:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/406714-post5.html

For the 5V power source, I was told you can rip up a USB connector and install it to the programmer, as USB connectors provide 5 volts of power.

If you have anymore questions, you can ask around here, or check out the YAOSM forums:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/yaosm/

I hope that helps. I myself have not ordered the parts from Newark yet, so hopefully the parts those part numbers refer to are the right stuff for the programmer.

Good luck!

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How much is shipping for you guys? Shipping to Canada at Newark is $12 for something that costs only $1.45!

For me, shipping should cost about $5. Its based in America though, and so its being shipped to another country. I suppose you can't really expect anything less, but I guess I wouldn't really know.

But, I've shipped something to Canada before, and it wasn't very difficult, nor was it very expensive. I've shipped something to Japan too, but that was an APO address, so it didn't really cost more that time either.

misoup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup, shipping is a pain, especially for electronic components that are priced in the cents. My order cost more in shipping than in parts

I recommend you find an online retailer in canada and see if it would be more cost effective rather than buying from US-based Newark

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
There's also the real world. Just to go an electronics parts store. You'll have all the stuff immediatly and without shipping costs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning