Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Gus122000, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica
    You can but there are no known reasons to update to, as nothing was fixed in 4.5 that wouldn't work on 4.4. Only 4.3 and under should update as some issues have been caused by those versions IIRC. Or maybe it was 4.1

2. Jaifroid

Jaifroid Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec
    Thanks for you answer, im scared to even open it now incase it update by itself from wifi ;)

3. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    As long as you don't flip the wifi switch (resulting in a lit green led in the top right of the display side of the lower half) this can't happen , as it hard disables the wlan. So if you happen to have older games that will not require an update or want to tinker around with the games included (faceraiders and the AR card game) feel free to do so.

4. tater42

tater42 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2009
    United States
    Picked up a red/black XL from walmart today with 4.5.0-10u on it. Serial SW1268xxxxx
    Had to return a cosmo black regular 3DS to khol's that came packed with a paper mario game since it had 6.2.0-12u on it (I think).
    Was odd since the 3ds serial was 14xxxxxxx so I thought it was fine. Oh well, the XL looks nicer anyway. Time to go buy a couple games.

5. goober

goober GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2006
    United States
    I had to resort to eBay to get my new 3DS XL, but there are plenty "old" new ones still and most sellers respond to the serial number requests. If you're lucky enough, some sellers show the serials in the listing on new XLs.

6. samljer

samljer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Canada
    no its not, ive had 2012 units higher, that were brand new, not returns.

the only guarantee is the serial number SW12 or less (like SW10) - first four letters.

7. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    This wasn't known 5 months ago when I made that post.

8. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    If you're in the UK, hit your local tescos up! just a headsup cos i've literally returned about 2 trying to find the perfect one. all had 4.2 or 4.4 fw

pin likes this.
  9. aXXo

aXXo GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    I just went back to my local Wal-mart and checked to see if they still have anymore SW12XX 3DS XL's left in stock. NOPE, all of them were SW13! Good thing I got my 3DS XL when I did, or I would probably be stuck with a normal sized 3DS.

10. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Well, Walmart is the first place a lot of people go to buy anything, electronics included. Along with Best Buy. But if you go to the other chain stores that people don't swear by, you can usually find some older merchandise that's been sitting in display cases for a while. 3DS and 3DS XL included. Target and K-Mart were my next destinations if one of the Walmarts I went to didn't have a SW12XX in stock. I'd suggest anyone looking for a 4.5 or earlier 3DS in 2014 check those stores first.

11. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    All you have to do is pick a place you know that nobody in thier right minds would buy electronics from like sears or kmart or a really out of the way place like a target in the middle of nowhere to go and buy from.

12. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois

Oddly enough, I found my 4.4 3DS at our local Gamestop. My friend is a manager there and he said they had a bunch of 2012 models that they had actually just got in. This was back in November though.

13. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Pretty much. People on eBay are already charging an extra $50 or so for 3DS XL consoles that they know are 4.5 or earlier. Which is insane considering how many are still out there sitting on shelves. In a couple years that might be where people are forced to pick them up, but right now there's no reason to pay more than retail.

And who knows, there might be a different exploit found on later firmware by the time 4.5 systems start becoming scarce.

14. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    Just picked up a Pink/White XL with Serial # starting with SW125 that has 4.4.

15. Jaifroid

Jaifroid Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec
    Nice, from where?

At Walmart here in Canada you can't see the serial number because all the ds are behind in the back, like you have to go ask the guy to open the glass and he choose it for you.

16. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    I got it from Fred Meyers in Oregon. I actually work there, so I was able to examine the 3DS and even turn it on and confirm the firmware before finalizing the purchase. Only cost me 140.99 after the sale, coupon and employee discount. It was the last XL that had a SW12X firmware, all the rest were 13s or 14s.

Also don't be afraid to ask the guy to check the serials, just be polite!

17. aXXo

aXXo GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Speaking of asking the sales clerk to check the serials, the newer models (mostly the SW30's) have this really flimsy/squeaky hinge that you would swear is broken when compared to earlier models. So getting an earlier models had multiple benefits.

18. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    Hey good to know!

19. xjamesbx

xjamesbx Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2009
    United States
    Got really interested in buying a 3DS XL after reading about the progress with flash cards. Finding one online seems kinda difficult, though. There are some confirmed 4.x XLs on eBay for $250, but that strikes me as excessive. I've e-mailed about a dozen people between Amazon and eBay asking if they could check their firmwares / serials for me, so hopefully I come up with something soon.

20. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Go into stores and check for 2012 Copyright

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted