Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am 99% positive that all refurbished 3DS or 3DS XL at GameStop have 6.x or newer.

When someone trades in a 3DS, they send it to a GameStop facility where they update it, wipe the memory, then repackage it with some accessories and call it refurbished or recharged. I actually went there several months ago (like, back in September? Or whenever the Gateway came out) and asked them to check one in the store for me, it was on 6.1 or so. And the guy told me they're all around the same age so they'd all be updated.

I suppose your only chance if you want a refurbished unit is if someone traded it in a year ago, then it would have been "updated" to 4.5 or so.

However, if they won't let you check the firmware in the store, just buy it and take it back to a different store (or wait until a different person is at the register at your store, you don't want to piss someone off). They have a 30 day guarantee on all their refurb systems and their policy says you can return it for any reason - if they give you a hassle about it though, just tell them you bought it as a Christmas gift for your brother and it turns out he already bought one himself. Something like that. Don't mention firmware. (Though when the guy at my local store let me check the firmware without buying it, I told him what a Gateway 3DS was, since obviously he realized I wanted low firmware for hacking purposes)

If you're after a regular 3DS and not an XL, definitely go after a bundle if you can find one new in box. Those have a lesser chance of being re-released.

--Edit--

All right. Thanks. Hopefully I'll get lucky. I didn't know Walmart and Target sold refurbished 3ds's. I'll let ya know tomorrow if I got the right one.

They don't. But Target has XLs on sale for $150 this week, which is actually less than a refurbished 3DS at GameStop (You might want to be careful though, I got a 6.1 from Target, it was the last blue one the had in stock... definitely check that before buying)

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info drfsupercenter and how_do_I_do_that. I'll check out Target first, since it's right next to my local Gamestop. If the firmware is too high, I'll try somewhere else. I guess my last question is, if I bought the wrong 3ds, I can easily go to a different store with my receipt to exchange for another one?
http://gbatemp.net/members/drfsupercenter.121633/

Governa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
One more for the European 3DS spreadsheet:

- SN: SEH107xxxxxx
- FW: 4.2.0-9E
- Copyright: 2012
- Color: grey/black
- Model: 3DS XL

Reactions: kalimero

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most stores only let you exchange it if it's defective (once you open it)

Your best bet is to just go by the serial number - if they have more than one in stock ask if they happen to have any with a serial number starting with a 12. At Best Buy the guy didn't ask why I wanted that one, since it's still giving money to the store either way... if they do ask just make something up, say the older hardware was built better or something.

But if there's only one left and you realize it's a SW13X, you can certainly exchange it at another store, but be sure to do it before the sale ends or you'll end up paying $50 more. (Just don't open the box)

hypertek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can pick the bottom single round tape seal off gently. I used the non-sharp side of a hobby knife and pried it up from the gap.

Nismax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there are absolutely no black 3DS XLs in America that are on 4.x, don't even waste your effort looking for one. The black systems came out on August 11, 2013, long after firmware 5.x came out. If you want pure black that badly, you'll have to do a case swap.

I was talking to the guy from the UK, asking how likely it is that there are any still left in the UK. I already stated in the same exact post that there is no way any black launch XL's are available in the US. So I was questioning how likely it is that it's any different in the UK. Plus, a few posts before that, explained how I just bought a black SW40 and and red/black SW12 to do the swap.

Why do I have to explain this twice?

Reactions: cateater1

captaineos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm selling my used (twice!!!) 3DS XL in Blue. Paid $10 at Dick smith to have screen protectors applied as I tried and failed. They are now on flawlessly. No scratches and yeah I used it once, then twice but couldn't cope with the weight as I have RSI in my right hand.

Canberra, Australia. Running FW 4.5 and already has GW exploit done.

troyson20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have come across a stack of US Mario Kart bundles (Mario Kart 7 preloaded on the internal SD card). This line is all from 2011, so I assume there's no way they have firmwares above 4.5, correct?

If I can access the e-shop with emunand... should be able to download the free 1.1 patch for Mario Kart 7 and be able to play it online without any hassle for the foreseeable future, right?

What's the resale value on these, do you think?

Snyrf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For me buy yesterday:
- SN: SEH1032xxxxx
- UPC: 045496 50078 8
- FW: 4.2.0-9E
- Copyright: 2012
- Color: silver/black
- Model: 3DS XL

xyzman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
-SN: SEH102xxxxxx
-FW: 4.2.0-9E
-Copyright: 2012
-Color: blue/black
-Model: XL

Bought during black friday sale @ http://mir.nintendo.ru

There were also two v.4.4.0-10 XL consoles on sale in local "DNS" (http://dns-shop.ru is a major hardware retailer). 3DS sell pretty much bad, so consultants let you turn on console and check FW before purchase.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I went to my local Walmart to check to see if they had any black 3ds's (not XL). Didn't have any. I went to three Gamestops and bought and swapped a few 3ds's that were refurbished. No luck, just like drfsupercenter mentioned, I basically I had no chance since most of them were updated to 6.3. I don't even know what to do. I bought a blue 3ds but it's on 6.1. Is there any chance I can exchange it with any other store under than Gamestop?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1