Where to find nesDS and jEnesis?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by AitchDeeTee, Oct 10, 2008.

Oct 10, 2008
  1. AitchDeeTee
    OP

Newcomer AitchDeeTee Member

United States
    Yeah...the nesDS link is totally dead, and the jEnesis link is being a pain in the ass and making me register at their forum (which I can do, but...eh.

2. IceRentoraa29

Member IceRentoraa29 Don't get in between a kid and his ice cream cone.

United States
  3. AitchDeeTee
    OP

United States
    Thanks, should've checked there.

4. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Sorry but the screen for the actual Genisis is actually not in the same proportions as the DS screen. It means that some of the screen is left off the side. I know that picodrive had a way around it by squashing the screen but it then looked quite bad.

5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    yeah, its annoying how jenesis does that, I posted asking exactly the same thing a few days ago. makes a lot of games almost unplayable.

as for snes emulation, no clue there, my only suggestion would be to look at the DS/GBA ports of all the early final fantasy games.

6. Absynthe

Member Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    I had no sound issues playing Earthbound, the only problem I had was having my character sprites displaying over the top of trees, houses and other buildings where you were supposed to stand under. Oh, and the boss battle screens were strange, but with a little meddling with the layer options it all becomes playable.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    jenesisDS. The DS screen resolution is lower than the megadrive/genesis, there was a software version several versions back (pre-sound) but it got dropped in favour of the hardware for performance reasons. You can adjust the screen though and as I recall there is a "follow" mode.

Final fantasy 1-6 are available for either the GBA or the DS in one form or another so I suggest those instead (go for the Euro versions as they tended to fix bugs). Many other 16 bit and earlier games got ports to the GBA too.

8. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Firstly, it's not something jEnesisDS does, it's something jEnesisDS doesn't do; and the reason it doesn't do scaling is that the screen is being rendered in hardware. It's not like a PC-based emulator, where what you see is controlled by software and if you want to stretch it or apply filters or whatever it is people do with PC emulators, you can do so; in that case, the Genesis instructions are being passed to the emulator, which virtualises the Genesis's display hardware, and can modify the image any way you want before passing it on to your computer's display hardware. This is fine with a PC, which is comparitively extremely powerful, while the DS simply doesn't have the oomph to do this; the Genesis instructions are being passed directly to the DS hardware; there's no middleman where all this scaling stuff can be performed.

Secondly, pfffffffft. Almost unplayable? It's not that hard to hit L or R if you need to see something urgently, and the follow option is always there if you need it to do it without your input. It's true that games like Sonic mean you have to rely even more on fast reflexes, but unplayable is very much an overstatement.

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    To add a small amount of info to Vague Rant's post, PicoDriveDS and jEnesisDS v0.4a (and ONLY that version) emulate the Genesis like a PC would, using a software-based renderer, but you'll notice that you get very slow speeds even with frameskip and no sound. But you can at least scale the screen.

10. AitchDeeTee
    OP

United States
    The jEnisis thing kind of sucks, but I'd take music and speed over an enlarged screen any day.