Where to buy mugen?

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Ichiban, Sep 28, 2006.

Sep 28, 2006

Where to buy mugen? by Ichiban at 2:04 PM (1,791 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Ichiban
    OP

Member Ichiban GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Where to buy mugen for the ez4 lite? I've bought a dslink...and I wanna give my ez4 lite to my kids. But they have a ds phat.

Thanks.

2. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    I don't think it was ever actually released.

3. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    Buy... mugen?

4. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Mugen is free on the net lol.....not on the DS tho.

5. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    Mugen on the DS? Where?!?!

6. teH XeRO

Member teH XeRO GBAtemp Fan

United States
    he isnt talking about the customizable 2D anime fighter, hes talkin about the link that lets you use an ezlite on a phat..sorta looks like old school gameshark for gb color.

7. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    That explain it.

What could actually be the use of the mugen right now?

8. TheStump

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    yeah i think it's called EZ-mugen. And everyone sorta bad mouthed it when the idea was released, hence why it may never have been released.Plus if you really need to put a Lite cart into a Phat, u can cut off the extra plastic on the side of the cart that stops it from going into the slot and put some sort a tag on the back so you can pull it out, myabe some string.

But prolly not worth the effort. well good luck. maybe some stores got prototypes to sell or somethin.

9. Ichiban
    OP

Member Ichiban GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks for all your replies, I had a bad feeling it never got released...
    I might try trimming like you said....Sounds a bit scary lol.

Thanks again!

10. skywarp

Member skywarp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you don't intend on using the cart in a DS-Lite at all, you could try fastening the innards of the cart into a GBA cart. You would have to cut out a spot for the micro-SD, but it would look better than looking like you have a big hole in the bottem of your DS. Getting a short cart out of a standard DS might also be difficult...

11. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    An EZ-Mugen would be really nice, as it would be cool to have the capabilities of the EZ4 Lite deluxe on the DS Phat.

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    All the EZMugen is/would have been is a straight connection between pins (before I made a custom case I used my filed down EZ4l in a normal DS/GBA).

To this end you probably could make your own with a bit of basic PCB equipment.

13. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    FAST6191, I would really appreciate it a lot if you could post the instructions on how to do this. I've got quite a few friends who would benefit from this.

14. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sorry Extreme Coder I missed your reply.

For the straight through thing you could make your own PCB (I use UV sensitive board and a few chemicals but any way you can should work), you might also be able to cannibalise some other PCB (I have an atari cart here that would be perfect for it. The pins inside the DS are spring type pins, naturally you would have to make them line up so I would use 3 seperate PCB sections (to reverse the direction twice).

As for the custom case, materials science is what I do so I have access to plenty of plastics and equipment but I simply pulled apart an old GBA cart and took a cast of it, modified said cast for the EZ4l (and added some microSD holders on top) and made a new case with the cast/mould).

15. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    Hit up the local thrift store, garage sales, etc and pick up that old Gameboy (non-advance) and a game. Pull the card edge connector out of the Gameboy. Pull the PCB out of the cart. Remove any components from the cart PCB that are in the way. Attatch the card edge connector from the Gameboy to the cart PCB about 3/4's of the way up the board (for back support of the flash cart). I think it'd probably be easiest to just cut all the traces from the card edge tabs on the cart and solder in some wire to connect them to the card edge connector from the GBA. It wouldn't be the pretiest thing, but it'd be a pretty easy way to build one yourself.

Of course, having the "custom" PCB that you would need made wouldn't be very expensive and PCI connectors (cut down of course) aren't hard to get ahold of (my local elctronics store has them) if you want something that requires less scavaging. [​IMG]

16. db2431

Newcomer db2431 Member

United Kingdom
    HAHAHA making new pcbs, oh brother, all i did was get an old gb or gba cart, I used a gb cart, cut around an inch off the top,then glue it to the top of a spare ez4 lite case, file down the sides so they are all flat with no curves then melt the 2 parts of the case together for extra hold uing a kitchen knife and a cooker flame, takes all of 10 minutes to do.