Where to buy GBA Micro Faceplates?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by JPH, Oct 22, 2007.

Oct 22, 2007

Where to buy GBA Micro Faceplates? by JPH at 6:10 AM (2,995 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Where can I find "original" faceplates for the Gameboy Micro online?

I've searched my Gamestop and some online stores, but came up unsuccessful.

I'm not talking about skins, like ones at Decal Girls website, but actual faceplates.

This Golden and Red 20th Anniversary faceplate is getting scratched up and starting to get boring...

If there aren't many original ones...where to find some basic colored ones (red, black, blue, orange, pink, etc) that Nintendo has made?

Also, eBay is not an option for me.

Thanks for your help fellas.

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    You can't buy official ones anywhere other than the Nintendo store (AFAIK there are only 3 colours available there; black, silver and the Famicom one)

3. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    [​IMG] I'd say online would be your best bet... Not eBay, but probably some other site... Search around, you'll find it eventually.

~Nero

4. Friction Baby

Member Friction Baby GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I think what you are searching for is actually called a "Marvel Mask Set", And I uncovered this [​IMG]

Code:
    http://www.consolesandgadgets.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/2270?osCsid=6544f68ebf0d3230620d2ad334811ac9
    Code:
    http://www.gamestech.com/GBM_info/GBM_Marvel_Mask_Set/mms.htm
    Code:
    http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/marvel+mask+faceplate+set+for+game+boy+micro/pid/4076453
    Code:
    http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=marvel-mask-faceplates-x8-for-gb-micro&osCsid=ebe86c197b7c35086a25072e7f10ba5c

5. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    The Marvel pack is not "original" covers, and I've heard they are very poor quality (just like the ones made by Logic 3). I believe the only other 3rd party manufacturer is Pelican, and their Designer Faceplate sets are no longer made (I think).

6. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    nintendo.com

7. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    I still haven't gotten off my butt to buy it yet, but check out Dunpeal1978's topic on clear faceplates, and see what you think:
    Game Boy Micro face Customizer, Make your own faceplate!!!!

Here's the link for the ebay store selling it:
    Powerwave GBM clear detachable face

Dunpeal did a bunch of nice plates, and I even did one. There's a link to a template in that thread too if you're so inclined.

edit: crap, I missed where you said ebay wasn't an option. Oh well, when I purchase, I'll buy more than one, they're pretty cheap.

8. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States

Ah, thank you mthrnite.
    I guess this will motivate me to get a savings account and PayPal along with that...

These are very cheap, and shippings only five bucks!

Edit: I'm going to customize a faceplate with the GBAtemp v2 character [​IMG]

9. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States

are those power wave's actual faceplates or are they just plastic vinyl covers.

10. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I think it's an actual plate, if you look at the "make your own skins" template there are gaps at the edges of the printouts for the hooks that attach to the micro.

I think I might've tracked down some clear plates in the UK, they're part of a really shitty low quality accessory pack so I expect them to be rubbish but they might do the job. I'll find out when it arrives [​IMG]

11. ShadowStitch

Member ShadowStitch Devilot's Tubtoy

United States
    Wooo, zombie thread!! I actually found this thread while googling micro faceplates...how odd.

Anyways...I love my micro, but through accidents and normal wear n tear, I've slowly been scratching up my faceplates. First t ogo was the stock silver, followed by my favorite, the red helixes. Now I'm on the camo one, and I'm considering buying spares from Nintendo despite the pretty outrageous prices.

I bought the Marvel Mask set last summer, and I can say from personal experience that they look nice enough until you get them out of the package. 90% of them are repaints of the famicom edition paintjob, just in different colors, and while the selection is nice, the plastic itself is really cheap. Right out of the package, most of them were more scratched up than the original ones I already owned, and with the cheapo nature of the plastic used, it's difficult to polish any of the defects out.

I'm really interested in this powerwave faceplate, since my DS has the same sort of case where I can slide my own images into it... but it seems pretty pricey, especially getting a few of them mailed from oz... 20$+ each on ebay for an item that retails for 2$ on their website? ouch!

12. kaotic_azn

Newcomer kaotic_azn Member

Australia
    Hey mate im from aus and generally i can source them for around $2aud or less sometimes! so depending on shipping i can get them to you for free. if you guys are interested you can pm me and if you want to pay i have paypal but if don't want to then its okay but please bare in mind that since im getting these away for free i won't do them regularly (maybe twice a month)

edit: sorry guys but just looking back at the place that sells them they don't have them in anymore but im going to try and pull a few legs and see what i can find

13. 2dere

Member 2dere GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Wow. After reading this I went down to my local EB store here and they had one skin left marked down to $7 from $15!!.. Thats why I don't like EB stores here but I bought it anyway. I'm stoked because my Micro came with a red faceplate thats really cool but the screen has a major scratch on it which I use anyway because it looks cooler than the other one I have for it. I'll have to find out if there are more EB's with these in NZ I'd be stoked with more than one of these things! (I'm yet to put anything underneath this yet to see how good they look.)

14. ShadowStitch

Member ShadowStitch Devilot's Tubtoy

United States
    I emailed the folks who make the powerwave faceplate...or should I say, MADE the powerwave faceplate. They aren't making them anymore (of course) and basically said I was SOL, and probably wouldn't find one anywhere. Which makes me wonder why they even still have the item listed on their website...