Where to buy an ASUS 1000?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by gizmo_gal, Nov 15, 2008.

Nov 15, 2008

Where to buy an ASUS 1000? by gizmo_gal at 5:46 PM (750 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. gizmo_gal
    OP

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I'm getting $500 to buy a computer soon and I want an ASUS EEE PC 1000. A while ago I was looking at one and toying with the idea of ordering and using the "Bill me later" option--I almost did it too. But I exited out of that page and forgot the website.

It had it for a little cheaper than usual and it had a case I was going to get to go with it.

Anyway, even if I cant find that exact site again, I'm having trouble finding sites--other than Amazon--that sell the EEE PC model that I want. I want the linux version and I want a SSD instead of an HD as I need it for school in the spring and it will have to endure many days in my bag on the bus and I dont need a heap of storage anyway...

If you guys could help me amas a list of sellers, I'd really appreciate it--thanks [​IMG].

2. sirdashadow

Newcomer sirdashadow Advanced Member

United States
    Not to change the subject but I have been eyeing the Acer Aspire One at WalMart. It's $350, 1GB ram, 120GB HD, 3 cell battery (about 2.5 hours) and has windows XP on it.
    If you go to newegg, you can get the 6 cell version (abt 5.5 hrs), 160HD for $50 more...
    I've played with it at Staples and it's surprisingly fast and the keyboard is great even for my huge hands...
    Only bad thing about it is the small mousepad and the buttons are on the side, but nothing a $5 mouse can't solve LOL

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...+Specifications

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....eTabStoreType=0

Newegg has also the Linux versions with the SSD..sadly the best value is the HD/6 cell/XP combo...but if you are willing to wipe out the HD and install Linux go for it!

3. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
  4. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    I have both the asus eee and acer aspire one, and I got to say the asus is a big disappointment, I barely use it its slow and underpowered. The Acer on the other hand is a fantastic little machine that is surprisingly fast and powerful and looks great with a nice screen and features! Also if you type a lot I would go with the Acer as its keyboard is way superior!
    I got the linux versions of both machines, and installed xp on them just so you know. For the last three weeks I havent touched another computer apart from my little acer, in fact im using it now! [​IMG]
    So I would go with the acer unless you really have your heart set on an eee.