tempBOT

The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Where The Workers Who Made Your iPhone Sleep At Night

brushes.jpg

Foxconn's factory in Shenzhen, China, is home to about half of its 420,000 workers. They make many of our gadgets and computers, then walk to dormitories on the 2.1-kilometer-square campus. I got to look inside.

I traveled to China to report on Foxconn and Shenzhen as part of a special feature for WIRED, which will be published in an upcoming issue of the magazine. In the meantime, here's a small glimpse of some of the things I saw while in Shenzhen.

[...]

Since a spate of eleven suicides earlier this year, every building on the Foxconn campus is draped in netting. It is morbid but seemingly effective; there have been no suicides since the nets were installed in May.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Check the source to see all the pictures, of course.
Contributed by Rydian

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you guys watched that documentary about Wal Mart? It seems like that.
The workers sleep on that kind of dorm too, and they are obliged to pay rent even if they do use the room or not.

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As people have said, it's no way near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Granted it's not great, but gizmodo tried to make it sound worse than it is.

mercluke said:
i have an iphone?!? o.O
Also this.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Conditions are almost facist. It is a product of our capitalist society. I urge you all to be educated consumers. Nobody is perfect, I have an iPod too. The important issue is to be aware of what is going on across the world. Where your clothes come from, where electronics are made. Make efforts to buy items manufactured in your country. Or even spend less at all. Use the GBATemp trading forum more. Buying second hand reduces labor and well allright i'm just ranting here. Great submission, Rydian.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really messed up.
While not the worst I've ever seen, you would think that with all the money made by their products, Foxconn could proved better living conditions for its workers.
You know it's bad when measures have to be taken due to an excess of suicides. I know they have to have competitive prices, but at what cost?

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You see people? This is what all of these major corporations are using as a production teem! They are not hiring people that are trained and have a degree in Computer technology and Circuit assembly, they just pull some poor Chinese people off of the street and ask them if they would like a place to stay and a job. Then they train them with the simplest steps and then have them work like assembly machines. So the next time you see one of those Dell TV ADs know that like the cake, they are a LIE!

The Chinese government does not step in because the Chinese Government is communist. This is what Communism does to countries people! Also, if you don't like how China is running their country then don't complain or else they will run you over with a tank!

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
DJ91990 said:
You see people? This is what all of these major corporations are using as a production teem! They are not hiring people that are trained and have a degree in Computer technology and Circuit assembly, they just pull some poor Chinese people off of the street and ask them if they would like a place to stay and a job. Then they train them with the simplest steps and then have them work like assembly machines. So the next time you see one of those Dell TV ADs know that like the cake, they are a LIE!

The Chinese government does not step in because the Chinese Government is communist. This is what Communism does to countries people! Also, if you don't like how China is running their country then don't complain or else they will run you over with a tank!

You High?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Flame™ said:
DJ91990 said:

You High?

Uh. Why would be be high? They did run people over with tanks (though it was a long time ago)...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.