Where Sony Stands with the PSN Breach

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
ShadowSoldier said:
[*]Don't use random characters like "9d8fg7a9jgq349a9". That's actually easier to hack than you think. You want words.
This is probably the stupidest thing I have read in the past 5 minutes. Dictionary words can be hacked with...wait for it... a dictionary attack.

Replacing some of the letters with special characters, it takes a lot longer to hack than you think.

Example: dictionaryattack = |)ict1on4ry@tt4c|

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, modern dictionary attacks account for that. Hell, it's not even anything special... You can download backtrack and look at their password attack methods, and those incorporating dictionaries will do what you're describing. Incorporating dictionary words in your password is never a good idea.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
I dont know what makes you think I said use dictionary words... but alright.
The example you gave was using dictionary words and it is usually a good assumption that most words will be in a dictionary.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In my initial post? I didn't use any words. There are lots of words that are real but not in the dictionary, which is kind of weird, but w/e. I'm just going by with what I was told at the university here when my computer was hacked and stuff.

deny_conformity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the most secure passwords are to use a few words and throw some random numbers in, no password will remain secure forever under a concerted effort to crack it, but if it'd take years to crack it can be considered reasonably secure. hell a 3 random word sentance with a number thrown in would take hundreds of years (even if the cracker was able to guess 100 passwords a second for that whole time) ( more details on the maths etc here http://www.baekdal.com/tips/password-security-usability )

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
In my initial post? I didn't use any words. There are lots of words that are real but not in the dictionary, which is kind of weird, but w/e. I'm just going by with what I was told at the university here when my computer was hacked and stuff.
"Dictionary" lists include words not in dictionaries. Honestly, a random password without any pattern to it is the safest. I don't know why they would tell you what they told you.

edit: deny_conformity's link shows what I mean: "woosaa" isn't a real word, but will still be a in a dictionary list.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I just hope we get free PSN points/playstation plus for all this.
cause it's the holidays and i can't go online
frown.gif

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
i really hope they don't ask for my secret question, i have NO idea what it was
Oh god, yeah. I just type in random shit.

ShadowSoldier said:
Linkiboy said:
QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Apr 28 2011, 10:03 PM) [*]Don't use random characters like "9d8fg7a9jgq349a9". That's actually easier to hack than you think. You want words.
This is probably the stupidest thing I have read in the past 5 minutes. Dictionary words can be hacked with...wait for it... a dictionary attack.

Replacing some of the letters with special characters, it takes a lot longer to hack than you think.

Example: dictionaryattack = |)ict1on4ry@tt4c|<
Seriously, that's bullshit. Have you ever seen a password cracking program? It usually accounts for stuff like this. In either case, it makes more sense to use random letters

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Syl +1