Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
895.jpg
Today's daily update on the PlayStation Network situation brings word that Sony is working with an unspecified law enforcement agency and a "recognized technology security firm to conduct a complete investigation." The attack on PSN is being described as "malicious" and a "criminal act," so in response Sony is "proceeding aggressively to find those responsible."
In response to the outcry, Sony's Patrick Seybold wrote on the PlayStation Blog, "We are taking steps to make our services safer and more secure than ever before. We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern this outage has caused, and rest assured that we're going to get the services back online as quickly as we can."

A week from yesterday, April 26, is still the target for getting "some services" back up but that's no guarantee -- an FAQ says "we want to be very clear that we will only restore operations when we are confident that the network is secure." It's entirely possible that it could be longer before PSN begins to come back online.

Part of the reason for this process taking so long is Sony's ongoing move of its network infrastructure and data center to a "new, more secure location." More details on new security measures will be forthcoming.

As for the leak itself, Sony says that all personal data was not encrypted but was located "behind a very sophisticated security system" which apparently was unable to prevent the infiltration. Credit card data was encrypted and there is still no evidence that such data has been stolen. That's according to Sony, of course, and it goes against the numerous stories that have surfaced about sudden credit card fraud, including an incident with 1UP contributor Steve Watts. It's possible these occurrences are coincidental; it's difficult to say with any degree of certainty that they are a direct result of the PSN breach.

If you have not yet taken any steps to secure your credit or debit card, you'll want to do so soon. There's no direct way to see which card was attached to your PSN account so Sony recommends either checking your account statements or searching your PSN account's email address for anything sent by "[email protected]," which will contain the first four and last four digits of the credit card you've used on PSN.

Among the data stolen in the attack was your PSN login and password, so your password will be a key thing to change. That's currently impossible with PSN down, but as a part of a new firmware update, users will be required to change their account password. No further details about the update were shared. Sony promises they are coming "shortly."[/p]
icon11.gif
Source (1up)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't help but think of the twitter jokes.

"PS3 Mortal Kombat exclusive: Kratos.
Xbox 360 Mortal Kombat exclusive: Online"

People should be changing their passwords on a regular basis anyways. Mainly because majority of people, lets be honest, have crap passwords.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd love to see anyone guess my password. It's not even in English. So even if you know the word, you still have to translate it using the proper Cypher, which only I have, and then you'd have to spell it correctly as just to further fuck potential thieves up I capitalise random letters and add a totally random number to the end.

I found PSN being down a bit funny at first 'cause the kid across the road from me gave up on Xbox Live in favour of PSN and thus was never online to play anything any more (the PS3 in this house is my dad's, I rarely use it) but now it's just annoying. I was planning on starting up Crysis 2, play online for a bit after I've finished the campaign.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I NEED THAT EMAIL. I completely forgot the credit card attached to my PSN (I haven't really bought anything for a while) and now I have no idea what to do...

hateps3.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sinharvest24 said:
My fear right now is remembering my old password if they asked for it. For years my ps3 has been on auto-sign in.

It's probably not going to ask for it. It's probably going to just ask for a new password.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i got an email from Sony a few days ago talking about why it was down etc .
heck i don't even remember my PSN password , i hope it was something basic and simple xD

too bad it's still down , i was gonna check out PSN on my PSP but meh .

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, I love the pic above the news article. Second, I hope Sony can recover from this major "oops". I bought a brand new psn card the day before this happened and I am eager to spend it.

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does that mean they have the password to our email that was used for PSN? Or our actual email password?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haddad said:
Does that mean they have the password to our email that was used for PSN? Or our actual email password?
Just your PSN password. You never needed to enter your email password.

Unless of course, your email has the same password AS PSN.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had my mother cancel her credit card over this.
frown.gif

It is going to make me re-think trusting Sony. Like, I'll never use a credit card on a Sony service every again. :x

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DJPlace said:
damn it now i have to switch my password to an harder one...

tips:

• Don't use random characters like "9d8fg7a9jgq349a9". That's actually easier to hack than you think. You want words.
  • Use special characters to replace regular characters. Example: R = |2 . A = 4 etc...
  • Make your password atleast 8-10 characters long. And only use something that you and only you (not your family or anybody else) would know.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
DJPlace said:

tips:

• Don't use random characters like "9d8fg7a9jgq349a9". That's actually easier to hack than you think. You want words.
  • Use special characters to replace regular characters. Example: R = |2 . A = 4 etc...
  • Make your password atleast 8-10 characters long. And only use something that you and only you (not your family or anybody else) would know.

is there like a password stregnth thing that tell's you how hard it is and stuff. not sure how to explain. i mean a website.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DJPlace said:
ShadowSoldier said:
DJPlace said:

tips:

is there like a password stregnth thing that tell's you how hard it is and stuff. not sure how to explain. i mean a website.

Use this: https://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-secur...rd-checker.aspx

Also I recommend this.

http://www.roboform.com/

It's able to generate passwords for you depending on how many characters you want, it stores passwords, login information. I've been using it since Kotaku and all the other Gawker sites have been hacked.

It's able to do auto-login so if you go to say, gbatemp, you click the button and it will fill in all the login/password fields right away. It can do it for MSN, yahoo, and other services too. It encrypts the passwords too I believe. It's a great program.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
[*]Don't use random characters like "9d8fg7a9jgq349a9". That's actually easier to hack than you think. You want words.
This is probably the stupidest thing I have read in the past 5 minutes. Dictionary words can be hacked with...wait for it... a dictionary attack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...