Where should I buy the G6Real 16G?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by JayLv99, Sep 29, 2007.

Sep 29, 2007
  1. JayLv99
    OP

Newcomer JayLv99 Member

United States
    Since their site is down I don't know who's giving the best deals... I see RHS is selling for $88?
    Any other good sellers?

2. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    I know this has been said before but I am giving you this piece of advice based on personal experience, don't get the G6 Real, get an Acekard. You won't regret it.

3. JayLv99
    OP

Newcomer JayLv99 Member

United States
    AceKard

This card supports clean ROMs and reads from a Transflash card. It has a very low compatibility with Homebrews due to proprietary file system. It also doesn't support most Download Play features.

Low compatibility with homebrews and no download play = no thanks.

My G6 Lite has been amazing for me so far, so I figure on going with the G6 team again for Slot 1, unless there's a hands-down better card.
    I also like NOT having to deal w/a microSD card - I've heard many horror stories about springs/hinges breaking on those.

4. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    The AK that flai is talking about is the new one (AK R.P.G), where the issues outlined above have been completely eradicated.

I'm not sure how the Acekard is atm, but it is open source, so hopefully some skilled developers will add some of the features missing (soft reset and cheats, maybe the ability to delete files (don't know if this is already possible)).

If you still want the G6, get it from RealHotStuff, I've heard really good things about them

5. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

Because you have an Acekard, and you personally know how great it is? Stop giving people lame advice.

Don't listen to ignorance Jay, the G6 Real is an excellent cart. At least you know it gets support. Who knows how the new Acekard is going to turn out.

And yeah, I recommend getting it from RHS too. That's where I do all my flash cart shopping, and I've received every one in two days after shipping. Excellent site.

6. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    How exactly is that ignorance? I have a G6 Real too, the Acekard is better. That post doesn't even make sense.

7. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Got mine from RHS too. Arrived promptly and safely. Nice shop, it's been a favorite around here for quite a while.

Loving my G6 Real and G6 Lite pair. Two great cards that go great together!

8. pieceofmind

Newcomer pieceofmind Member

United States
    Add another satisfied customer with RHS.
    Excellent customer service as well [​IMG]

9. Loop

Member Loop GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I bought my last few pieces of kit from Kick Gaming.
    They ship very fast (even the cheapest option) and their customer service is superb.
    They replaced a faulty G6 Lite after nearly 7 months ... with a G6Real!!
    I would buy from them now, even if another retailer is a couple of dollars less.

Highly recommended!!!! [​IMG]

I just checked and they don't currently seem to offer the 16G model.....

10. Eclipse0219

Newcomer Eclipse0219 Member

United States
    Mine was like 85 with free shipping from DealXtreme. I expected it to take forever to ship but it was only 1 week.

11. cribby08

Member cribby08 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ya i really like dealextreme. I have used them many times. Very good prices and free shipping. Good customer service also. i have had some trouble with g6 offical resellers so now I just go with dealextreme because they have given me no problems at all.

12. vcdking24

Newcomer vcdking24 Member

United States
    I got mine from realhotstuff.com. Great service. Received it the next day(paid a little extra for dhl overnight delivery)

13. Heatguyred

Newcomer Heatguyred Advanced Member

Mexico
    Yeah, get it from dealextreme, its 82.50 and free shiping

14. webjedi

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How about a CycloDS Evolution? More features than the G6 and no spring to break. [​IMG]

15. scandal_uk

Member scandal_uk GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm in England and I use model-gadget.com.

BTW, I have a G6 Lite and a G6 DS (among others) but the G6 Lite is by far the best of the bunch!

The G6DS is a good card, and personally I think it's better than Acekard. I have the 16Gb version and it works great except for one thing; moonshell 171 doesn't work properly (so I use the Lite for that).

Everything else (including homebrew if it's in the root) works great!

16. Seicomart

Member Seicomart GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Got a G6 Real 16 last week, charged it overnight, transferred some games over, they wouldn't save. Formatted the card, transferred the latest System folder over again, same problem also half the time the games icons were corrupted.

Emailed Model-Gadget and they sent a replacement as soon as my original card arrived (took 5 days to arrive because of the postal strike backlog).

Charged the card for 12 hours in ds with power on at the mains.Updated with the latest System file from a day ago.

Same problem, games never, ever keep their save. Formatted, tried it from the DS and in windows explorer.

Same problem.

Model-Gadget said the last batch of G6 Real 16s were known to have a good few dodgy cards but this latest batch should be ok.

Obviously they are not so am going to email them in the morning and ask for either an Acekard, or Cyclo Evolution instead. Already have an R4 and am very happy with it.

My advice is to avoid the G6Real completely, my experience with it has been a huge waste of time and way too much hassle.

If you want a decent card look through the reviews and user comments here, basically get anything except this piece of rubbish.