Hacking Discussion Where is SX OS and 7.0-1 Support?

When will SX OS 7.0.0 support come?

• June 15th

Votes: 92 18.4%
  • Never

Votes: 57 11.4%
  • Nintendo Will Drop 8.0.0. First

Votes: 142 28.5%
  • Right after Atmosphere

Votes: 124 24.8%
  • With Bacon and Cheese

Votes: 84 16.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let's just say everything Atmosphere and Reinx has implemented is legal.

Sure, you can say that. Distributing the patches that bypass signature checks is certainly illegal. You'll have to get Nintendo to argue against atmosphere in court, it's unclear what decision would be made.

With the DS flash carts court case the defendent tried to use fair use as a defence for running legal homebrew and it was thrown out, the prosecuter put forward evidence that the majority use for them was piracy. atmosphere is mostly used by pirates.

Last edited by smf,

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sure, you can say that. Distributing the patches that bypass signature checks is certainly illegal. You'll have to get Nintendo to argue against atmosphere in court, it's unclear what decision would be made.

With the DS flash carts court case the defendent tried to use fair use as a defence for running legal homebrew and it was thrown out, the prosecuter put forward evidence that the majority use for them was piracy. atmosphere is mostly used by pirates.
Atmosphere doesn't come with signature patches though. It even discourages piracy. You'd have to manually load the sigpatches in (or get a package like Kosmos).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also with the DS flashcart. It was pretty clear the products intent was on piracy. And also it was a paid product. It was just using homebrew just to try and get out of trouble. But that didn't work!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Atmosphere doesn't come with signature patches though. It even discourages piracy. You'd have to manually load the sigpatches in (or get a package like Kosmos).

ReiNX does, so that is certainly illegal.

Atmosphere publicly discourages piracy, but the patches are only possible with atmosphere and they are distributed on this site which SciresM also uses. Don't forget that civil cases have a much lower bar, you don't have to be beyond reasonable doubt. Someone just has to decide on probability that atmosphere is mostly used by pirates and that SciresM is complicit.

Otherwise DMCA is easy to avoid, just split everything in two and get two people to release each half. The courts won't see it like that.

failoverlflow were included in the GeoHotz case and they only provided the PS3 signing key. Even being named is a major pain.

It will come down to how good nintendo's lawyers are and the capabilities of the judge.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: gizmomelb

jramirex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on which country the legal challenge is filed at. But even if If Nintendo had a clear cut challenge as you suggest then why are they not going after TX and their allegedly sister Stargate-NX? Those are not only strictly for piracy but also profit from it.

Last edited by jramirex,

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Atmosphere publicly discourages piracy, but the patches are only possible with atmosphere and they are distributed on this site which SciresM also uses. Don't forget that civil cases have a much lower bar, you don't have to be beyond reasonable doubt. Someone just has to decide on probability that atmosphere is mostly used by pirates and that SciresM is complicit.

failoverlflow were included in the GeoHotz case and they only provided the PS3 signing key. Even being named is a major pain
Signature patches aren't illegal anyway. So that makes Reinx completely legal.

Also just because there's sigpatches for his CFW on the same site he sometimes uses. Doesn't make him liable to lawsuits. Think about your arguments before presenting them.

Depends on which country the legal challenge is filed at. But even if If Nintendo had a clear cut challenge as you suggest then why are they not going after TX and their allegedly sister Stargate-NX? Those are not strictly for piracy but also profit from it.
I've already reported StargateNX to Nintendo's Piracy Group anyway. Piracy shouldn't be a thing to make a business out off and make a profit.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Signature patches aren't illegal anyway. So that makes Reinx completely legal.

No they violate the DMCA. It's illegal to distribute them or tell anyone how to patch the signature check out in any way.

Also just because there's sigpatches for his CFW on the same site he sometimes uses. Doesn't make him liable to lawsuits. Think about your arguments before presenting them.

Just existing makes you liable to having a lawsuit raised against you, it's up to the Judge to decide on the merits. It's a major pain & a decent lawyer could argue a conspiracy case.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: gizmomelb

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Otherwise DMCA is easy to avoid, just split everything in two and get two people to release each half. The courts won't see it like that.

failoverlflow were included in the GeoHotz case and they only provided the PS3 signing key. Even being named is a major pain.

It will come down to how good nintendo's lawyers are and the capabilities of the judge.
So you’re saying that SciresM could get into legal trouble because some person who’s not associated with him or his team in any way made patches that SciresM doesn’t want people to use... Seems legit

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No they violate the DMCA. It's illegal to distribute them or tell anyone how to patch the signature check out in any way.
Tell me. How does it violate the DMCA? If it did. Rei definitely would've been sued by now.

Every post you make seems to follow the same pattern. Defending TX and throwing Rei/ScriesM under the bus. Unless you have a decent argument against them. Please stop here.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you’re saying that SciresM could get into legal trouble because some person who’s not associated with him or his team in any way made patches that SciresM doesn’t want people to use... Seems legit

How do you know he's not associated? atmosphere is involved with anti circumvention & it has no legitimate use (US courts have decided that homebrew on consoles is not a legitimate use for jailbreaking because of the level of piracy involved with consoles).

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do you know he's not associated? atmosphere is involved with anti circumvention & it has no legitimate use (US courts have decided that homebrew on consoles is not a legitimate use for jailbreaking because of the level of piracy involved with consoles).
When did the US say that hacking consoles was illegal?

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could say the same with mobile phones and pirating apps. Yet the US still has made it legal to hack phones and tablets.

gnilwob

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
What if you didn't need to install NSPs and load them from a HDD like XCIs? Would that convince you to switch?
Yes, I will likely switch over to whatever cfw that I don't have to install the game.

I am mainly using SX because of XCI + cheat + emunand features.
I read in another post that cheat function on AMS is happening soon.

If I don't have to install NSP file, I guess the ticket is not store on my system so I guess I can drop my need for emunand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.