Where do I start?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by towers, Sep 21, 2007.

Sep 21, 2007

Where do I start? by towers at 5:07 AM (2,746 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. towers
    OP

Newcomer towers Member

United States
    First off, hello. Sorry if I am missing an intro thread somewhere. But on to business.

For a while now, I've wanted to get some things running on my DS - a very old, 1st gen DS; possibly with the very first firmware. I just don't get enough use out of it anymore, which is unfortunate. So I logically began thinking about homebrew, DSLinux, emulators, etc., problem being I don't know what to do with any of it.

So my question is this: I want to run GBA and DS emulators, I want an organizing program (Wikipedia says DSOrgnaize is good, but is it?), something I can check Gmail with, and that should cover it. But I don't know what hardware I need to buy, what programs I need, or anything like that. Do I have to buy a DS Lite? Do I need different flash cards (if that is what I need) for different things?

If someone could lay out what I need, and where to get it, I would be so happy. Even links to detailed wiki pages or whatever would work; I can read, but I don't know what I should read. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, and if the emulator thing is against the rules - I know ROMs are, and I don't mean to break them. This was the best place I could figure to ask, though.

Thanks everyone!

edit: I suppose if I am getting an email checker, a web browser would also be handy - but I assume they come in the same package? And just for your information, money is not an object here.

2. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would start off by suggesting two things.

1.) R4 - this is a slot -1 card (where DS games go).

2.) EZ Flash 3-in1 - this is a slot -2 card (where GBA goes)

With these two items you would be able to play DS games, GBA games, and you would be able to use the Opera browser to check your email, and even use DS organize as a semi-PDA. Although, I have heard that DSOrganize can corrupt your data.

Hope this helps. i will try to post links in a minute.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_storage_device
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=3_..._for_EZ-Flash_V

Check out the first link for the R4 and read about some of the other flashcarts too.
    The second link goes into detail about the EZ Flash 3-in-1.

These two items work hand-in-hand and will allow you to get the most out of your DS.

Be sure to read the reviews on this site as well.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=41279
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=42399 (the ez 3-in-1 is towards the bottom)

Hope this helps.

3. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Good, cuz R4 and EZF will cost you easily over 160 bucks US, or Canadian right now.

4. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I sense sarcasm... [​IMG]
    R4 with 1GB Kingston Japan is only $55 on dealextreme.
    EZ Flash 3-in-1 is only $19 on dealextreme.

Both have free shipping as well. So only $74 roughly.

EDIT: He would need the GBA version of the 3-in-1 from realhotstuff for only $22 plus $7 s&h.

5. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Sheesh just kidding. Most likely that the DS and the two carts will be about 160.

And I didn't even know about the intro threads when I started. [​IMG]

6. towers
    OP

Newcomer towers Member

United States
    This is great! Thanks you two.

I have a few questions though. First, the R4DS sounds awesome, but the wiki page says you can only load one ROM onto it at a time, where the review seems to imply that you can have more than one. Which is it? And second, is there a thing like the EZ Flash 3-in-1 that doesn't require a DS Lite? I would like to avoid buying one if possible.

edit: I forgot: last night I was thinking about SNES emulation - is there anything that does that?

7. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    The R4 can store as many Roms as your memory card can fit, and yes it will only run one rom at a time, but I don't see why you would want more than one or how its even worth complaining about.
    And yes you can get an EZFlash 3-in-1 for the DS Phat.

As for SNES emulation, theres alot of emulators out there for the DS. To name a few google SnesDS, SnezziDS andSNEmulDS. I havn't tried many and I hear that its not 100% compatible with all SNES Roms.

Check out dealextreme.com for the Ezflash, I'm pretty sure you can order one specifically for the original DS.

8. towers
    OP

Newcomer towers Member

United States
    Well I wasn't wondering if it could run more than one ROM at a time; I meant, how many ROMs can you stick on the R4DS--but that's been answered, thank you. Either I misread the wiki or it was worded poorly. And thanks for the link!

9. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    R4? Seriously, the R4 is only there for people who don't want to pay that much. It has NO exclusive features like the CycloDS or the AceKard. Just wait a few days till the Acekard goes onto virtual shelves.

10. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I personally wouldn't benefit from any of the additional features of the CycloDS, and I'm sure thats true for alot of other people.

The Acekard however is something to watch. I'm going to need to pick one of those up in the coming weeks.

11. towers
    OP

Newcomer towers Member

United States
    What do the CycloDS and AceKard do?

You'll have to excuse me for knowing absolutely nothing.

12. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  13. Wii_DS.

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    R4 FTW. Don't get the others.

You cant go wrong with a R4.

14. towers
    OP

Newcomer towers Member

United States
    Yeah, I think I am probably getting the R4. I don't really need or want anything else.

15. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    R4 is the best cart for beginners. I personally use a CycloDS Evolution, but the R4 has more support and it just easy to use.
    The CycloDS Evolution has all the features of the R4 and more, it also has awesome support and better ROM compatibility (but both carts support pretty much 99% of ROMs and all DLDI compatible homebrew (search the GBAtemp Wiki for DLDI)).
    Read some of the reviews on GBAtemp, also check out My site, RomNet, DSDatabase, FlashcartReviews and Review Central

- Sam

16. towers
    OP

Newcomer towers Member

United States
    Thanks sinkhead.

Anyone know of a good place to get good micro SD cards?

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Amazon.

18. towers
    OP

Newcomer towers Member

United States
    Should have known. Is there a brand I should look for?

19. kylertesch

Member kylertesch GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    lol amazon or WALMART i got a 1 gig M sd for 20 bucks the brand is electronics something or rather...

20. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Thats not a good price or a good brand.

Try to get a Kingston, they seem to work with everything.