where do I start?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by truckinusa, Feb 5, 2010.

Feb 5, 2010

where do I start? by truckinusa at 2:13 AM (832 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. truckinusa
    OP

Newcomer truckinusa Newbie

United States
    I just got my kid a Wii. Sorry to be a newb, but what do I need to read exactly? I see there are a ton of different methods. I'm kinda clueless at this point.

2. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    xzxero 's Modify any Wii aka the Simplistic Mod. its in our forums under Wii Hacking.
    Then install a usb loader/channel.
    WBFS Manager to format your 320gb drive.

3. truckinusa
    OP

Newcomer truckinusa Newbie

United States
    So what does a flatwii do that I can't do without it? Is that any better in any way? I don't know if it matters any but I got a pretty old 3.3 version wii.

Also, is a microsd card with an adapter to SD going to work? Its 2gb? Does it hurt to try?

4. Christopho

Member Christopho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    wtf is flatwii? If it's a USB loader, then most are the same (e.g. they all have disc images, disc covers, basically same compatibility with USB Loader GX being the best with the best compatibility >D).

Micro SD Card works, don't let anyone tell you different. My friend, his friend, and I use it all the time and I recently used it to softmod my wii with a USB Loader and a disc loader (disc at first but the quality was so bad and I coulnd't watch videos without it stuttering so I switched) and it works fine. My SD card is a kingston 2 gb also if you wanted to know.

Also, I was jkin about the USB Loader GX tidbit but I highly recommend that option since I personally used it and there hasn't been a single game (I have 70+ games) that has gone bad/error 002/black screen with it.

Hope I helped ^^

P.S. 320 gb is way too much space, I would return it and get something lower like a 150 gb (mine is 250 gb and I have 70+ games on it with 50 gb left) to save money. In addition, I would use either rev14 or rev17 as they've never given me any bugs, although I would stick with rev14 for a bit (I updated to see what the buzz was about xD) since rev17 is still in its early stages and there might be a bug and you might be the one in a million modders that experience a bug in it.

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i think he means flatmii. it is a drive emulator. you actually open up your wii and install this booger and when you are done your wii will still have all the same functionality it has now. it will also let you load up a ISO on your windows PC and stream it to the wii via USB. it works with gamecube games as well. and there is no possible way it can ever be blocked by a update from nintendo. and it works completely independently of the software in the wii, so it needs no specific IOS and any cIOS you install will work fine with it.

6. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    FYI, my Wii is at 3.4U, and it'll play anything I put in it.
    I'm not keen on whats all entailed with flatmii.
    If you want to go that route, try it.
    I personally did the Twilight hack back when thats all there was.
    I've only had to update my cIOS, added Hermes 222/223 merged (for guitar hero/rock band games),
    and using Wiiflow for usb loading and Neogamma R8 for disc loading.

7. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    THE WHOLE SITE HAS STICKIES.

Stickies are at the top of every forum, the majority of them are REALLY helpful. Yea the stickies that say USB guide, or 4.2 guide, or EVERYTHING you need to know, or NOOB guides, etc.

If you have a certain type of new WII, you can't play burnt games.

If you have a older type of Wii, you can play burnt games and USB driven games.

Good Luck.

8. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I haven't updated with anything crazy since the original 3.4U was started with Twilight Hack, I've only updated to 4.1, then to 4.2 using Waki's updater. Also Cios Rev 14. Doing things that you don't know how to do, will screw up your WII, use the guides first and roll from there. I can play everything I've tried, no need for Hermes 222/223 etc., you'll wind up screwin yourself in the future.

BOOTMII w NANDBackup and Preloader/Priloader your choice. Don't skip this step.

DO NOT do anything unless you're certain you have read the instructions a few times... this one factor will save your ass.

Good luck again.

Wynd