Homebrew Where do I place assets.zip for XMB menu in Retroarch?

pickinanameainteasy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed retroarch and can run it from the HBL but I'm finding conflicting answers on where to put these assets.

When I load retroarch it says: "Warning: Missing assets use online updater if available" or something like that. When I go to online update and press 'Update Assets' it downloads assets.zip and 2 other files to wiiu/retroarch/assets. But when I restart retroarch it doesn't bring up the xmb menu.

According to this thread (from 2016):

The default directory for the XMB assets is sd:/retroarch/assets, you can change it to any other path you like under Settings > Directory. Note that older versions of RetroArch WiiU use sd:/retroarch/media, so if you're playing around with old version keep an eye out for that.

But according to this thread (from 2017):

2) Add the XMB menu files to your SD (In SD:/retroarch/media/xmb/ )

I've also tried downloading the XMB files listed on this thread. They are not in a zip file but rather a bunch of folders and files.

So is it supposed to be a zip file and where should it go?

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Try downloading the latest assets manually on your computer, then extract the contents of the zip file into the RetroArch folder in the root of the SD Card.
I also recommend that you update to the latest version of RetroArch (1.8.9) if you haven't already.

Reactions: AmandaRose

pickinanameainteasy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try downloading the latest assets manually on your computer, then extract the contents of the zip file into the RetroArch folder in the root of the SD Card.
I also recommend that you update to the latest version of RetroArch (1.8.9) if you haven't already.

I got Retroarch 1.8.9.

So no 'assets' folder or a 'media' folder? just save it under retroarch?

pickinanameainteasy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Just it extract on the retroarch folder.

Ok I extracted the .zip file which yeilded a folder named 'retroarch-assets-master'

I cut the retroarch-assets-master folder and pasted it into sd:/retroarch. Didn't work. Should I only copy the contents of the retroarch-assets-master folder onto the sd or should it all be nested under 'retroarch-assets-master?'

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
This thread. It's linked under 'Setting up XMB/Fixing the white screen'
Ok, what is inside of the folder?
Edit: I decided to download the file and see for myself. Just remane the "retroarch-assets-master" folder to "assets" and put that folder in the "retroarch" folder.

Last edited by GABO1423,
Reactions: dreedee

dreedee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ok, what is inside of the folder?
Edit: I decided to download the file and see for myself. Just remane the "retroarch-assets-master" folder to "assets" and put that folder in the "retroarch" folder.

WORKED!
thanks!
Why would they say to but in /retroarch/xmb ?

Anyway, mine takes almost a minute to load from the HBL. any ideas?

Reactions: GABO1423

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
WORKED!
thanks!
Why would they say to but in /retroarch/xmb ?

Anyway, mine takes almost a minute to load from the HBL. any ideas?
How exactly do you open the HBL? Do you open a CFW (Mocha, Haxchi/CBHC) beforehand? or do you just open the HBL without having a CFW enabled? If that's the case, then that's normal. The Wii U's SD Card slot is known to be pretty slow, but any CFW can significantly speed up the load times. It's not going to instantaneous, but it will last less than a minute.

dreedee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How exactly do you open the HBL? Do you open a CFW (Mocha, Haxchi/CBHC) beforehand? or do you just open the HBL without having a CFW enabled? If that's the case, then that's normal. The Wii U's SD Card slot is known to be pretty slow, but any CFW can significantly speed up the load times. It's not going to instantaneous, but it will last less than a minute.
Yeah, Im pretty new to this, so Im using the WEbBrowser exploit, one thing I dont understand is should. I load Mocha CFW, before I load RetroArch from the HBL ?
I wan to simplify things and do the Haxchi method, but Im currently in a country that is not on the list for the EShop, long story short, I couldnt get any credits in to buy the game necessary.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Yeah, Im pretty new to this, so Im using the WEbBrowser exploit, one thing I dont understand is should. I load Mocha CFW, before I load RetroArch from the HBL ?
I wan to simplify things and do the Haxchi method, but Im currently in a country that is not on the list for the EShop, long story short, I couldnt get any credits in to buy the game necessary.
Don't you live in Portugal? I'm pretty sure the eShop is still open there. If not then I recommend you install Indexiine. Its free and works offline. Follow this guide for more information: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/
As for your question, you need to open Mocha before RetroArch.

dreedee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Im from Portugal, my credit card is Portuguese, , but I am in Timor-Leste, using a WiiU from Australia... i dont really know how the Eshop works, for example if I buy a Euro Card for top up will it even activate here? (because of IP Geo Location?) or If I have a US$ Card, can I top up my AUstralian Eshop? so many questions!

But I really dont mind using the browser exploit I did try to install indexiine, it saves some steps, but it crashed some how, I had to restor the WiiU to facotry settings and start. I might try to do it again.

Anyway im more familiar with this HBL process now, the RetroARch is working better if I launch Mocha from the HBL before. but I sitll have to go n the HBL to launch REtroArch righT? or is there a way to havea RetroArch channel on the WiiU menu that works after launchin the CFW?

thanks for your help.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Im from Portugal, my credit card is Portuguese, , but I am in Timor-Leste, using a WiiU from Australia... i dont really know how the Eshop works, for example if I buy a Euro Card for top up will it even activate here? (because of IP Geo Location?) or If I have a US$ Card, can I top up my AUstralian Eshop? so many questions!

But I really dont mind using the browser exploit I did try to install indexiine, it saves some steps, but it crashed some how, I had to restor the WiiU to facotry settings and start. I might try to do it again.

Anyway im more familiar with this HBL process now, the RetroARch is working better if I launch Mocha from the HBL before. but I sitll have to go n the HBL to launch REtroArch righT? or is there a way to havea RetroArch channel on the WiiU menu that works after launchin the CFW?

thanks for your help.
There is indeed a RetroArch Forwarder you can install on the Wii U Menu, which is what I use myself. Click here for the download link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/
Just install that forwarder with Wup Installer GX2.
As for your Wii U Region situation, it is a messy one to say the least. What I can tell you is this, it doesn't matter exactly where you live. I lived for a while in Venezuela and had my console set to United States, this allowed me to access the American eShop without an issue. But I'm not sure if an Australian Wii U has the option to change the country to Portugal, you're going to have to check the system settings to find out.

dreedee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks my friend, I recently found out that region wise Australian is also PAL, meaning tht I can play EUR games on my WiiU. etc. I'll probbly end up reseting the WiiU and setting it back to Portugal, and then find a way to buy EUR credits for the eShop to complete the Haxchi hack. meanwhile Ill try the Indexiine and the Forwarder.

A the moment Im deep into RetroArch config trying to figure out controllers etc. im using a WiiU pro pad, and im trying to make the WiiU pad to be with eh screen off during play. because I think thats just burning the screen, because im only using the TV to play. any ideas?

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thanks my friend, I recently found out that region wise Australian is also PAL, meaning tht I can play EUR games on my WiiU. etc. I'll probbly end up reseting the WiiU and setting it back to Portugal, and then find a way to buy EUR credits for the eShop to complete the Haxchi hack. meanwhile Ill try the Indexiine and the Forwarder.

A the moment Im deep into RetroArch config trying to figure out controllers etc. im using a WiiU pro pad, and im trying to make the WiiU pad to be with eh screen off during play. because I think thats just burning the screen, because im only using the TV to play. any ideas?
The only idea I have to play RetroArch with the GamePad screen turned off is to just find a way to turn off the GamePad before you open RetroArch. Usually the easiest way is just to walk a decent amount of distance from the Wii U with the GamePad on hand to make the GamePad lose connection and then turn it off.

dreedee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The only idea I have to play RetroArch with the GamePad screen turned off is to just find a way to turn off the GamePad before you open RetroArch. Usually the easiest way is just to walk a decent amount of distance from the Wii U with the GamePad on hand to make the GamePad lose connection and then turn it off.

Thanks my friend, after all. configuring and getting these things to run just as we want is part of the fun!

Also... Zelda that was part of the reason to give $100 for this WiiU in 2020. But downloading the game form the Eshop is not going to be fun (the internet her is slow and expensive). Ill have to order a disc version.

Thanks for all the help!

pickinanameainteasy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is indeed a RetroArch Forwarder you can install on the Wii U Menu, which is what I use myself. Click here for the download link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/
Just install that forwarder with Wup Installer GX2.
As for your Wii U Region situation, it is a messy one to say the least. What I can tell you is this, it doesn't matter exactly where you live. I lived for a while in Venezuela and had my console set to United States, this allowed me to access the American eShop without an issue. But I'm not sure if an Australian Wii U has the option to change the country to Portugal, you're going to have to check the system settings to find out.

Would the retroarch forwarder allow me to play retroarch with an HID controller?

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Would the retroarch forwarder allow me to play retroarch with an HID controller?
The RetroArch Forwarder is just that, a forwarder.
If HID controllers work when you open RetroArch from the Homebrew Launcher, they will work with the forwarder. But I'm honestly not sure which HID controllers and which don't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.