1. JuanMena

OP JuanMena GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    I would like to purchase a legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate... but... the Microsoft site tells me that I need the key to download the ISO to make a bootable USB drive.
    The thing is... how am I supposed to get a key when Microsoft is NOT selling any more copies?

2. Boesy

Boesy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Options:

1. Buy from Amazon for $340
    2. Buy from eBay for $100ish
    3. Buy a key from eBay for less than $2
    4. Pirate it

JuanMena likes this.
  3. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    I got a Dell OEM disk of Win7Pro on ebay a few years back for virtually nothing - I think the postage was as much as the disk and license.

Also, in response to the "sponsored" front page post, Windows 7 end of life? Update to Windows 10 at $9.95 Now!!
    ...I believe it's still possible to upgrade for free, using the supposedly discontinued offer they first had back when Win 10 first launched. I did so a few months back. You can find more info at https://www.cnet.com/how-to/you-can...ws-10-free-you-should-because-windows-7-dead/

alexander1970 likes this.
  4. Boesy

Boesy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Reckon that it is and it's what Microsoft wants because they've discontinued 7.

5. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Yeah, they want everyone to upgrade, but they want them to pay for it - hence, the sponsored front page post.
    I'm just saying, it's still possible to upgrade LEGIT for FREE.

Boesy and alexander1970 like this.
  6. Boesy

Boesy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    That's still strange since they've given it for free since forever.

Surely there's still a way to upgrade for free? Maybe this @ https://www.howtogeek.com/265409/yo...-for-free-from-microsofts-accessibility-site/

7. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

United States
    In regards to buying a key from ebay.

They are usually refurb keys, or more likely mass activation keys from different regions, that are abused.

When some really chepo not officialy licensed keys all of a sudden turned up in german discounter stores for a while, german tech news outlet heise did a follow up on what kind of keys those were - and pretty much demystified how that shady market works.

Put this article through google translate:
    https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Microsoft-Schnaeppchen-aus-dem-Supermarkt-4537883.html

The gist of this is, that MS still hardly ever deactivates those mass activation keys - and that you should be ok using a shady one.

Its actually pretty much a no brainer - because of cost/work/benefit analysis, because cost is so low.

Its actually hard to argue not to go that route - although I would never actually recommend it of course.

Its messed up, but this is what it is.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Ultimate, Windows, Where