Hardware Where can I get a good GBA-compatible GB/GBC flash cart?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Really sorry if this has been asked already, but I can't find it anywhere on the forum, and my Google searches and flash cart seller browsing aren't helping either.

So, I'm going to get an EZ Flash IV for the GBA. I understand that you can emulate GB/GBC with Goomba Color, but I'd rather use a GBC cart with perfect compatibility.

Are there any good GBC flash carts that are compatible with the GBA? If so, what are they, and where would be a good place to buy them? All answers are greatly appreciated. :)

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I second this question. While I can use the EZ Flash V for my DS pair, I'm thinking about getting a pair of SP units for my new GC collection I've been building. May as well get a pair of GBA flash carts to complement the set. Mainly because I can't link GBA games through the DS. A real let down.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I second this question. While I can use the EZ Flash V for my DS pair, I'm thinking about getting a pair of SP units for my new GC collection I've been building. May as well get a pair of GBA flash carts to complement the set. Mainly because I can't link GBA games through the DS. A real let down.
I'm talking about GBC flash carts though, not GBA.

But to answer your question, get the EZ FLash IV. It's compatible with all GBA models (GBA, GBA SP, GBA Micro, DS Phat, DSLite), and has a mini SD slot for expandable storage. Works perfectly, from what I hear. I'm definitely going to grab one for my GBA when I get a chance.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I'm sorry. I really need to read the topic's headline a bit more closely. I hope my posting doesn't dissuade other people who might know about what you're looking for. I just use my PSP for GB/C since it's really rare to need a link on those systems. Master Boy is really nice, but only if you have a PSP. I wish you luck in your search.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I'm sorry. I really need to read the topic's headline a bit more closely. I hope my posting doesn't dissuade other people who might know about what you're looking for. I just use my PSP for GB/C since it's really rare to need a link on those systems. Master Boy is really nice, but only if you have a PSP. I wish you luck in your search.
it's OK. thanks for the info

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not even sure if there is such a thing anymore... I think they've all died out
I actually did find the 64mb GBC smart card, which is supposedly the best one ever made (and the only one still mass produced). However, it doesn't have expandable storage, so it can only hold 4 games at a time, and only can hold one game save at a time. :( Real shame. I hope someone designs one with expandable storage, etc like the everdrives for consoles.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I'm not even sure if there is such a thing anymore... I think they've all died out
I actually did find the 64mb GBC smart card, which is supposedly the best one ever made (and the only one still mass produced). However, it doesn't have expandable storage, so it can only hold 4 games at a time, and only can hold one game save at a time. :( Real shame. I hope someone designs one with expandable storage, etc like the everdrives for consoles.

Ouch. But if it comes to that I'm assuming that's one of the only choices.

Just curious does the ezv 3-n-1 support gbc?a

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Lameboy (emulator for DS) and it works pretty well.

Games run great
Plenty of options (scaling, speed up, save states, use top or bottom screen, etc)
Using DS Back-lit screen is amazing compared to old GBC or GBA screens.

But I second the request for a good GBC flash cart. As OP said, it would be nice for game link features. Doubly nice if it could backup game saves from official carts.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I use Lameboy (emulator for DS) and it works pretty well.

Games run great
Plenty of options (scaling, speed up, save states, use top or bottom screen, etc)
Using DS Back-lit screen is amazing compared to old GBC or GBA screens.
That's what I'm using right now, actually. I've just gotten tired of emulators and all the hassle and nuances involved... I just want to play on the actual hardware. You know what I mean? I've been playing old games exclusively on emulators for the past 2 years, and I just got tired of it, I guess.

Reactions: Yepi69

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I'm using right now, actually. I've just gotten tired of emulators and all the hassle and nuances involved... I just want to play on the actual hardware. You know what I mean? I've been playing old games exclusively on emulators for the past 2 years, and I just got tired of it, I guess.

Oh yes. I have an NES, SNES, and N64 all hooked up to the same TV as my Wii. Sure, the Wii looks better on an HDTV, but there's a certain charm to playing on the original hardware.

Especially so on handhelds, where emulators don't support link cables and such. If you are looking to get a GBC flashcart, I highly recommend finding a backlit GBA. The screen is brilliant, almost on par with the DS.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh yes. I have an NES, SNES, and N64 all hooked up to the same TV as my Wii. Sure, the Wii looks better on an HDTV, but there's a certain charm to playing on the original hardware.

Especially so on handhelds, where emulators don't support link cables and such. If you are looking to get a GBC flashcart, I highly recommend finding a backlit GBA. The screen is brilliant, almost on par with the DS.
Yeah, I'm gonna grab a GBA SP when I get a chance. I would love to grab the backlit model, but those are so expensive, so I'm probably just going to get the frontlit one.

I used to have a NES and SNES, but my mom didn't understand that I actually WANTED to keep my old systems when i got new ones, so she gave those two away, along with most my N64 games long ago. Oh well. Now that I can get my own money and stuff, I can start my collection from the ground up (I've decided to start a collection of all games and systems I've ever enjoyed... NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Genesis, PS1, and GBC/GBA)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, I'm gonna grab a GBA SP when I get a chance. I would love to grab the backlit model, but those are so expensive, so I'm probably just going to get the frontlit one.
Trust me on this one, you really want the backlit model. As long as you're not picky about the color of the plastic, you can get a used one for cheap on eBay if you're persistent (and use uncommon search terms). The frontlit Afterburner GBA I finally got is sadly very disappointing compared to even my DS Phat, and I'm pretty sure the frontlit GBA SP wouldn't be too much better.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Trust me on this one, you really want the backlit model. As long as you're not picky about the color of the plastic, you can get a used one for cheap on eBay if you're persistent (and use uncommon search terms). The frontlit Afterburner GBA I finally got is sadly very disappointing compared to even my DS Phat, and I'm pretty sure the frontlit GBA SP wouldn't be too much better.
Thanks for the tip... but what "uncommon search terms" do you refer to?

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I used to have a NES and SNES, but my mom didn't understand that I actually WANTED to keep my old systems when i got new ones, so she gave those two away, along with most my N64 games long ago. Oh well. Now that I can get my own money and stuff, I can start my collection from the ground up (I've decided to start a collection of all games and systems I've ever enjoyed... NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Genesis, PS1, and GBC/GBA)

Pretty much the same thing happened to me, though I was lucky enough to keep my SNES / N64. I've got a decent little collection going now. My suggestion? Hit up thrift stores. Find out about ones in your area, and drop by occasionally. Become friends with the staff. Ask if they've got anything in the back that hasn't been processed or put out yet. After a few years, you'll have a decent little collection too. Of course, the rarer stuff you'll have to buy online. But it should help you save some money, if you're patient. Also, check Craigslist.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a bad price or speed all things considered lol