Where can I buy PSP in Canada?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by antonkan, Aug 21, 2009.

Aug 21, 2009
  1. antonkan
    OP

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Where can I buy a PSP-1000 (a.k.a PSP Phat, but I always prefer the PSP-1000 name) in Canada? It must be an online store and in-store around Toronto, Canada (not the used ones, OK). I'm planning to buy PSP-1000 for my birthday gift. Plus a few questions:[*]Can you give me instructions to hack PSP-1000 and install custom firmware without the Pandora battery?[*]Do I need to burn .iso formats using a mini DVD disc (it's the size of the UMD discs)?[*]How to avoid the damage while charging the PSP when it's on?

2. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    sorry but i dont think youll be able to get a psp 1000 "new" you can check ebgames in woodbine mall or near the wal mart next to eslington but they ill only have 2000 and 3000 but both are hackable with chickhen so its ok i dont kno wthe other answers cuz i dont have a psp

3. antonkan
    OP

Canada
    Meh, I don't want to buy PSP-2000 (a.k.a. PSP Slim) nor PSP-3000 becuase there are not FULLY hackable (although some PSP-2000 are fully hackable). I prefer to buy PSP-1000 (a.k.a PSP Phat) becuase it's cheap (80 to 100 U.S. dollars I think) and fully hackable.

Where can I buy PSP-1000 in Canada (sould be online store)?

4. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Easiest place for you to get one at a cheap price would be ebay.

5. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
  6. antonkan
    OP

Canada
  7. Ethanx94

Member Ethanx94 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, I can't answer most of your questions.
    But I can answer one obvious one.

"Do I need to burn .iso formats using a mini DVD disc (it's the size of the UMD discs)?"

The answer: No, the iso/cso files are ran straight off of the memory stick duo. If you have many other devices that use sd memory then I suggest you get a micro sd to memory stick duo converter. However, I've heard various reports of bad read/write speeds but I've bought mine from Deal Extreme and I haven't had any problems running them.

As for mini DVD's, the psp only takes UMD (as far as I'm aware) as a disc medium. There is no such thing as a UMD-R/+R unfortunately. I have mini cd's that I've tried to fit and the lid doesn't even close because umd's seem to be smaller. They also have a plastic casing around each of them that should never be broken. For the disc to spin, the magnetic center of the umd casing has to attract and not using a casing could cause scratches on the disc and damage to your laser.

I could've summed that last paragraph into a more relevant sentence but I'm a fan of super clarification.

Lastly, the cso files I talked about are a compressed iso file. Usually they are NOT trimmed/stripped like nintendo ds roms and can be converted back to an original iso file (again, as far as I know). The only problem is that epic games like grand theft auto might have problems being compressed/uncompressed off a memory stick. Therefore, in such cases, you would want to use a normal iso.

As far as an exploit for old psp's, I've heard of a Lumies Live exploit and a Grand Theft Auto exploit.
    Both require you to purchase the acutal game. I've not read up on ChickHen so I can't give you any pointers on that except the fact you need to be on the psp fimware version that accepts .tiff picture files.

Edit: One last thing, if you use ChickHen I'm pretty sure that all you can do is just homebrew but you can load a cfw installer from there.
    Also you will want to go about this like the Wii. Nand backups, Update precautions, ect.
    I have found psp hacking to be a lot less hectic than Wii hacking and I did it in about 20 minutes after reading up on it while waiting for ebay to get it to me.
    I had a pandora battery and a slim though so I can't really comment on this situation.
    If you do decide to go with a pandora by any chance then you should get RainUltraLiteMMS maker. It only needs 1 official fw 5.00 and it does the rest for you which is considerably easier than the guide on the blastprocessing website.
    So if half of this is irrelevant, at least I might be able to help the people googling this.

8. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    toronto guy here.

I haven't seen psp 1000 models here since 2008. Most people are using either slim(2000) or brite(3000)...

You basically can't get a new psp 1000 here anymore. A PSP 2000 made before June 2008(fully hackable) is more likely to be found, though.

If i may ask, why the PSP 1000? And I would suggest PSP Go too... [​IMG]

9. antonkan
    OP

Canada
    Becuase PSP-1000 is fully hackable. I can't buy a PSP Go! becuase it's too expensive and it's not hackable.

10. Gerinych

Member Gerinych GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Dude...

I live in Toronto suburbs, and I was able to get a PSP-1000 in EBGames. I asked for a used system, they gave me one for $125. It's in perfect condition, too.

11. altorn

Canada
    but as i said, you can't find a BRAND NEW PSP 1000 anymore. just saying.

PSP 2000 that were produced before June 2008 are fully hackable.

12. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    just get from the ebay link i posted

13. kenio8185

Member kenio8185 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    honestly, if you plan to buy locally, just go on craigslist. I don't think you will find it cheaper than from there. Heck, you might be able to get one that's already hacked. Just make sure you have a friend with you.

14. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    I dont know. Just charge your PSP when it's 30% or less but not fully empty

15. ReverseFate

Newcomer ReverseFate Advanced Member

Canada
    EBgames Canada currently has the promotion of trade in 4 used games (valued at 8 bucks or more), and get a used PSP 2000 for free. This is how I got my white and fully hackable PSP slim for little to no cost. If you want to be on the safe side in terms of hackage, just simply avoid getting a black PSP (Although only a small percentage of these are unhackable), and try to get the white SW, the silver, or the red GoW PSPs.

16. altorn

Canada

Lol, i got my DS Lite from there! Why do you have to have a friend with you? In case there is something suspicious with the seller?? [​IMG]

17. antonkan
    OP

Canada
    @rockstar99: Am I going to buy or bid? What's the word 'bid' mean when buying online?

@altom: PSP-2000 series (a.k.a PSP Slim) is much harder to find which are hackable. PSP-1000 series (a.k.a PSP Phat) is easier to find that are hackable. That's why I prefer PSP-1000 becuase is fully hackable.

@Chris_Skylock: Thanks for my answers.

Anyway, what does 'used' mean in online stores?

18. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    wow

um

bid generally refers to offering a buying price in an auction, highest bid wins

used means used. previously owned

someone bought it and returned it

19. altorn

Canada
    OR someone got tired of it and wanted to sell it for a DSi or something else.

basically, used items, specifically game consoles aren't 100%.. MINT CONDITION is a term commonly
    used to describe it as "almost brand new", but not 100%. I suggest looking for this description, MINT CONDITION if you wanna buy a good one. Others are usually based on luck when you buy them..

antonkan, you're right, nowadays, it is really hard to find a PSP2000 which is easily hackable.

20. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    Solution: stay away from black psp slims. Just order any other color except for black. pay a few extra bucks but be safe. if you're desperate for a black slim, take a risk and man up. ^^ I did that to my advantage, even got the guy to tell me all about the psp. hell, he even gave me priority shipping.