TheInsomniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.

I want to know where to buy a Game boy SP, I would really love to have one, I just like It's games too much and the little homebrew it has looks good. But, I don't know where to buy one. Seriously. I just want a near-perfect or new/sealed GB SP, but they are fucking expensive, like, you won't find them for less than $100 on eBay, and that's why I'm asking here. Even the ones that come without the box/manuals and in poor conditions are over $50. And yes, I'm looking for the common editions, not those japanese limited ones.

I don't really care too much about the color, but preberably black or blue.

Please, help me.
unsure.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Getting a new SP at this point is going to be expensive. They aren't as common as they were in 2003, 2004, and 2005. You pretty much are going to have to pay $100 or so for one in excellent condition, which isn't so bad. Ones on Amazon are at the minimum $150 new, so that's no good for your price range.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a 'graphite' GBA-SP and my daughter has a pink one ... they were both among the last new ones on the shelves to be sold in my city, long after the DS-Phat had come out. If you're going to go hunting for one of these, it's very important that your priority is to find one of the later 'backlit' models. Most of the GBA-SP's out there for sale used are the original 'frontlit' model, where the button turns the light on/off. With the backlit version, the button switches between low and high brightness, and the backlit screen is FAR superior. It's as good as the DS Lite screen, at a lower resolution of course.

Do a little research on which colors the backlit models came in. I think my daughter's pink one was called rose metallic or something like that. And mine was graphite. There were other colors. THe backlit model is sometimes called GBA-SP2. Don't settle for anything less.

TheInsomniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, really quick responses.

Hanafuda said:
I've got a 'graphite' GBA-SP and my daughter has a pink one ... they were both among the last new ones on the shelves to be sold in my city, long after the DS-Phat had come out. If you're going to go hunting for one of these, it's very important that your priority is to find one of the later 'backlit' models. Most of the GBA-SP's out there for sale used are the original 'frontlit' model, where the button turns the light on/off. With the backlit version, the button switches between low and high brightness, and the backlit screen is FAR superior. It's as good as the DS Lite screen, at a lower resolution of course.

Do a little research on which colors the backlit models came in. I think my daughter's pink one was called rose metallic or something like that. And mine was graphite. There were other colors. THe backlit model is sometimes called GBA-SP2. Don't settle for anything less.

Thank you. Didn't know all of that.

So, Wikipedia says the AGS-101 or backlit model never made it to a black version but...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-BOY-ADVANCE-SP-MO...1c#ht_523wt_925

Now someone explain me this because all the colors listed in Wikipedia for the AGS-101 are ugly as fuck and I'm really interesed in a black one.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
TheInsomniac said:

Hanafuda said:

So, Wikipedia says the AGS-101 or backlit model never made it to a black version but...

Now someone explain me this because all the colors listed in Wikipedia for the AGS-101 are ugly as fuck and I'm really interesed in a black one.

From the Pro (me): They DID make a model called "Metallic Black" that was an AGS-101 model. Don't worry judging form the pics it's legit. It's a rare one though (compared to the Graphite, Pearl Blue, and Pearl Pink one, maybe even the Pikachu edition) that's why it costs so much.

TheInsomniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
TheInsomniac said:

Hanafuda said:

From the Pro (me): They DID make a model called "Metallic Black" that was an AGS-101 model. Don't worry judging form the pics it's legit. It's a rare one though (compared to the Graphite, Pearl Blue, and Pearl Pink one, maybe even the Pikachu edition) that's why it costs so much.

Oh, ok. Makes sense now.

This is way harder to do that I though it was gonna be.

1) Looks like its "rare" to find a metallic black AGS-101 with manuals and box.
2) The damn headphones. Like, seriously?, It was all perfect and green until I noticed you need to buy an accesory if you want to plug in your headphones... just wow. And this leads me to my third point.
3) What if I just buy a Game boy micro?, they are cheaper, more common and I have actually tried one.

I mean, I liked the Game boy micro a lot, but then I saw that everyone on internet hates it because the screen was way too small. I remember that it was ok. Then, you would ask, why the hell do you want a SP?, because everyone keeps saying that its the best out of the 3 models (GBA, SP and Micro), I feel like I'm missing something.

And now I'm just saying things with no reason... well no, I do have some points:

1.- What should I buy?

2.- How rare are those black metallic backlit GB SP in good condition? what about the price?

3.- Isn't the screen in the SP more like "stretched" or "pixelated"?, in comparison to the GB Micro (because games looks so good on it, I don't belive that in a screen that doubles its size it can look good).

help help help.
closedeyes.gif

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
3.- Isn't the screen in the SP more like "stretched" or "pixelated"?, in comparison to the GB Micro (because games looks so good on it, I don't belive that in a screen that doubles its size it can look good).

help help help.
closedeyes.gif
no infact i'm playing mine right now they have the same resolution and as for the screen size in the micro the games look good due to it having a smaller screen and more compact pixles which in some peoples eyes causes more strain

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Fun fact -- screen size does not matter for the Game Boy/DS screens since it's the same resolution. They are both just as clear (comparing say, the AGS-101 to the Micro, or the DSi to the DSi XL).

If you're comparing the AGS 101 to a Micro, the screen looks just as sexy on both of them. Take note, however, the original AGS 100 SP looks washed out and shitty compared to both of them (sinc eit has a front light).

I personally have a Micro (MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box CIB) and a 100 SP (NES Special Edition, CIB) and I tend to use my Micro more, to be honest.
tongue.gif

I LOVE the battery life (can be MUCH longer than SP), the form factor (PERFECT size for ANY of my pockets, screen is bright and clear despite tiny size), the weight (feels heavier than you think it would, perfect in my hands), the sheet metal finish is EASY to clean and has fingerprint resist factor to it (ALWAYS cleaning my SP). The list can go on.

By the way I USED to have a AGS 101, and my Bro has one so I know what it's like firsthand as well. I am looking to buy one don't be surprised if you don't win that auction for that Black one
wink.gif
(just kidding wouldn't do that to you).
I Would recommend getting either. it really depends on what YOU prefer, I like them both (the clamshell folding design is amazing as well, can also fit snuggly in most pockets).

KEEP IN MIND, however, Micro faceplates are INCREDIBLY hard to find nowadays for some reason. >_> So make sure you get a colour you like if you get one. Also, Micro chargers are harder to come by, make sure you get a working one. If you want I know Radio shack STILL has a Universal charger cord (for SP, DS, DS Lite, DSi, XL, 3DS, and Micro) for 15 bucks. Good deal, just picked one up today.

Hope i helped. I can post pics and stuff if you want further info I can help you out too.

EDIT: Honestly, it's really hard to find ANY AGS-101 (real one) in good condition (that sucker in the auction is MIIIIIIINTY FRESH) online anymore. besides new, that is the best one I have seen in years. I would say if you EVER want a SP (especially a AGS-101 model) swoop that one up now because you won't find one that smexy for a while.

Trust me, either way you go (SP or Micro) you will like either one. They are both awesome.

ALSO... BUY AN EZ Flash IV and play MOTHER 3! And MOTHER 1+2!

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My brother has an SP that he might be willing to sell. I think it's blue. Let me know if you're interested and I'll set it up.

But first, understand that I would have to insist on Paypal before we ship because you joined only today.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
SWEET! Check this out, Bro.

EDIT: Sorry wrong link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-BoyAdvance-Micro-...=item2a108628e4

It's a CIB new Micro Famicom edition. You might find better prices but that is a fair one.

It's good to buy the new Micros because they come with a "Screen protector" like film over the faceplate (pretty durable) and a pouch to keep it away from dust an dirt.

EDITAGAIN: Also, the charger of course.
smile.gif

EDIT3: Also, THIS AGS-101 looks minty too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Adva...=item48406ab10f

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Schlupi said:
Take note, however, the original AGS 100 SP looks washed out and shitty compared to both of them (sinc eit has a front light).
I've got an AGS-001, and yeah it's front-lit.
frown.gif

Whoops, yeah I put 100 but I meant 001.
tongue.gif

I'm tired. I should be sleeping lol. Anyways, like I said I also reccommend buying an EZ Flash IV flashcart (last GBA FC around, getting pricey since they aren't made anymore) to play all those great rare GBA games and unreleased games. We have plenty of helpful tutorials here to help you set it up and it'll run you like, 40 bucks with a 2 GB Mini SD card (or Micro SD with adapter).

TRUST ME, you NEED to play MOTHER 3. If you're truly interested in GBA, that is.
wink.gif

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
AGS-101 Metallic Black does not exist.

If you read the listing, they say "new case" -- they CHANGED the shell, so it is not an original shell.

They DO exist. Just because not ALL sites document them doesn't mean anything.

I know for a fact it was released in the USA for a short time after the Pearl models and also in the European territories.

Shiiiit, Wikipedia doesn't mention the Pikachu edition SP does that mean the Pokemon Center never sold that either?

EDIT: Although you're right. This shell is replaced according to the auction. That is a fact.

Yatashi Strife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i brought a used limited edition NES GBA SP from gamestop for 44 bucks yesterday in New York and it works great! the outside is alittle beat up and its not the model with the enhanced colors, but still it brings back soooo many memories!

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Yatashi Strife said:
i brought a used limited edition NES GBA SP from gamestop for 44 bucks yesterday in New York and it works great! the outside is alittle beat up and its not the model with the enhanced colors, but still it brings back soooo many memories!

I got one CIB Mint on Ebay for 40.
wink.gif

They are fetching 100+ now I got real lucky. I am always so torn between playing my Micro and the SP also because they are both collector's items. XP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there