Where are good vacation spots?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Norman3000, Apr 15, 2008.

Apr 15, 2008
  1. Norman3000
    OP

Member Norman3000 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Where do you go on summers? Beach, hiking or what?

2. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    What's a vacation?

Oh you must be talking about that thing some people do periodically that mangles their pay cheque schedule and involves them going a long ways to the south so they can get burned and ill from some peculiar tropical bug.

I've been disabled since 93, Every day is Saturday (it gets old trust me). I have no car, but on the plus side, I'm actually ok living in Central Ontario, and I don't actually want to go to any place like Cancun.

I'd like to make it back to Banff some day though.

My ideal vacation spot has mountains, and lots of conifers, not palm trees.
    I don't need girls in bikinis. Actually, given ideal conditions, I'd rather chase my wife through the woods naked [​IMG]

3. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I personally go back to Uzbekistan. The country is filled with cool places, nature, and good looking girls that I can't touch... [​IMG]

4. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I have 5 kids, and a serious gaming & gadget habit ... I don't take holidays [​IMG]

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There is a phrase along the lines of "the grass is always greener on the other side" and I find it is true if you add "but everything anyone touches becomes tainted" which is why share a similar opinion to Panzer Tacticer and find it amusing people spend several weeks wages to go somewhere and the only thing different is that there is enough sun to get burnt. I am not advocating the "do the like natives do" thing but at least do something different.

This means I spend a fair bit of my time going to all sorts of places although I have still yet to make it to the southern hemisphere.
    Therefore most times I am able to have fun wherever I go but that usually involves seeking out the "worse aspects" of a place: I have had more fun in a dive bar in deepest darkest former Soviet block countries* than I have in a upscale bar in LA where I could get pretty much whatever I wanted.
    I have had more fun climbing a small moss covered cliff somewhere in backwater Washington than I did during the
    I enjoyed my trip through random French towns/villages with bikes/skateboards/whatever than I did the purpose built parks in California.

That is not to say the "counterpoint" parts were not fun but I mean to say go anywhere and provided you do not act like an idiot you can have a good time. It helps though if you have never done it before.

6. The_Cylon_Surfer

Member The_Cylon_Surfer GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    For me Guardalavaca in Cuba was paradise. Clear warm water, coral reefs to snorkel around, great long beach and perfect dive spots.

I guess it all depends on the person - someone I work with will only ever take city breaks to places like New York & Tokyo. To me those places are hell on Earth - to him Guardalavaca would be.

For me a quiet beach and preferably surf make a great vacation. I'd take warm water and warm weather over cold but thats because I come from the UK and spent March freezing my balls off in the Atlantic Ocean in full wetsuit gear including a 3mm hood, boot and gloves....ummm minus 1 - great weather for surfing!!!

7. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I actually live in one of Australia's biggest tourist destinations. It...is...sweet. Beach as far as the eye can see. I moved here from a small country town to go to university, I love living here it really is beautiful. Don't take my word for it though, I posted some pics. If you want to go for a summer holiday you might want to check it out [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. The_Cylon_Surfer

Member The_Cylon_Surfer GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Damn I wann live there man! Always wanted to - you know anyone who would sponser a great IT Technician!!! [​IMG]

9. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Go to dubai!
    Its hot as hell but its really nice.
    Every single building is also airconditioned.