When you send a DS in to get a replacement..

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by falco123, May 4, 2007.

May 4, 2007
  1. falco123
    OP

Member falco123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've heard stories of people getting refurbs from nintendo when sending it back.

What can I do to ensure I get a new DS instead of them trying to repair the one I have?

2. thac0nfus3done

Newcomer thac0nfus3done Member

United States
    Not much I'd imagine, check the DS manual for conditions of the warranty. It most likely says something about it.

3. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    If the DS is pretty destroyed, they can't fix it... [​IMG]

4. Intruder

Member Intruder GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Write down the serial ( located in the back of the DS) before you send it and compare it with the one you'll get.
    My sister's DS had "accident" and the touch screen wasn't responding so we sent it and we got it back in a week or so fix but NOT swapped with a new one...

5. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    When My ps2 is being modded at pacific mall in toronto. They just put my original shell on a pre modded one they did probably in store before. They kept the original board somewhere. I put a mark on my ps2 board but it was gone when the modd store gave back to me. I think that nintendo just use your case and put it on a new system.

6. simpson17

Member simpson17 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've sent my DS back twice now for hinge cracks, and each time I've gotten a completely different DS. Even if it was a refurb, the two I've gotten back were better than my original DS (my first lite had several flaws besides the hinge crack). The refurbs are also in new condition (I bought my iPod refurbed, and it was just as good as a new one, but cheaper)

7. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Um.. A little question here..
    The plastic film at the back of the fat DS, protecting the serial number etc, fell of on mine (due to normal wear).
    Do you think my warranty is... wait... how long warranty is it? (I got it since release in europe.. so... maybe it's out already)

8. Bridgy84

Member Bridgy84 Yub Nub

United States
    I just got mine back due to a cracked hinge and i got the same ds back. I was glad though, so many memories with that little guy. [​IMG]

9. falco123
    OP

Member falco123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Mine has some scratches and an unresponsive A button (you have to hit it dead on for it to work, not on the side like most buttons. is this normal?)

The screen is very yellow, too. I know some yellow is normal, but...

10. SuperDinoYoshi

Newcomer SuperDinoYoshi Member

United States
    I had my DS phat replaced once, and it came back new, but luckily, not new enough to be prepared for my old school passme and GBAMP with a firmware patch.

11. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Damn. I have a cracked hinge and am going to send it in soon. I was hoping for a whole new one though because my touch screen is slightly off on the right side.

12. hamster

Newcomer hamster Newbie

Albania
    does anybody know if I still need the reciept kinda misplaced mine somwhere and I need the hinge fixed. The screen is getting flimsy now.... [​IMG]

13. Darkspark

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I think it comes back refurbished. The unit I got, although I specifically said I was replacing it because of 2 dead pixels, came to me with 4 dead pixels, and was scratched and had a lot of dust on and inside it.
    (Phat DS)

Best option is to return it at the store you got it from for a direct exchange.

14. SafetyMan

Newcomer SafetyMan Newbie

United States
    If you're sending it back to Nintendo just set up a repair
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/repair/re...arts_dslite.jsp

You can check if your DS is still under warranty here:
    https://www.nintendo.com/cpp/repairs/warrantyLookup.do

Anyways when I sent my DS in to get the hinge fixed, I got back the bottom of my DS, but a refurbbed top screen.