Hacking When you copy wii channels to SD. Where do they go?

dippindivin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I install some WiiWare WAD's right. They are sitting in my wii memory in a wii channel in the system menu.

I go to wii channels and click the channel. Then click Move, to move it to my SD card. So then, I delete the WAD file from my WAD directory on my SD card. The WiiWare game is still on my SD and I can play it from the SD channels. But i deleted the WAD from the WAD directory.

So my question is, where does this WAD get copied to on the SD card?

Thanks!

Reactions: Nirotceh

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't delete wad's from your SD card, that doesn't remove anything. Any vc game you transfer, installed from a wad or not will go in the private\Wii\titles folder and will have a content.bin or something in a folder named after whatever the title ID for the game is in that directory. Deleting that is still not the proper way to remove it. To remove a VC game move it back to your Wii and then use the wad that you used to install it in wad manager and go back into wad manager and have it uninstall that wad.

Jeomite

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It goes to your PRIVATE folder located on your SD card.
For example if it's a WiiWare title with channel id D123, the data for this specific title would appear under SD:\PRIVATE\WII\TITLE\D123\

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
I think i am saying this right in the WAD file is like a .exe installer file, and the wadmanager installs it to the Wii. The Wad now becomes a Wii file. Now its on your SD card it will be in the private folder in a sub folder as a .bin file. You can delete and move the WADs on the SD card as much as you like. The Wii doesnt read the WAD file from the /wad folder, only the installer

Arm and me posted at the same time, so yeah what he said

dippindivin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. I wasnt trying to uninstall the wads. Just remove the installers because they where taking up a lot of room.

Side Question for bonus points:

Is there anyway to extract the WAD's in windows, then just drag and drop them in the /private/data folder so I dont have to go through the WAD Manager install process?

Thanks

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
When you install a WAD file, you install both the game itself and a ticket that makes the Wii think you got the game legitimately. If you just copied the game to your SD card, then the Wii wouldn't "think" you bought the game, and wouldn't let you play it anyway.

So even if an app that extracted a .bin file from a WAD existed, it would only be useful for games you already installed (or bought through the shop channel) wouldn't be that useful. Not that I know if it exists or not, just saying that the wad way is simpler.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)