Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
zachpl said:
ZeroTm said:
He brought that upon himself. Sony is not overreacting whatsoever. They are just protecting their own goods, even if it means to raid someone's house. Pirates deserve to be punished. (I do realize that I'm on a hacking website, but as time passed I realized that we need to support the game industry, not damaging it by pirating every game we see.

All graf did was work on linux. I love when all the sony fanboys bring in piracy in every fucking sentence when they have nothing to do with it.

Ps fanboy? I don't even own a ps3.

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
donelwero said:
Really, f*ck them, hope that at least 100K people stops buying their shit.
Count me as one. I was considering getting a PS3 for the wrong reasons, but I don't even want to do that anymore.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yellowthunder said:
matt382 said:
Am I the only one who thinks Sony hasn't done anything wrong? I mean all they are doing is protecting their software. Their actions may be a little over-exaggurated, but still... And when people say they are trying to control people's consoles and ownership and stuff, I don't agree. I think that Sony are trying to protect the software, cus when people buy the console, they don't own the software.. Sony still has rights over it.
I'm still thinking the raiding part was a little too far.
The raiding part wasn't Sony, it's what they do there.

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
for all those who are saying boycott sony, just remember, dont buy anything NEW from them, buy it all second hand, I believe they dont get any profit from that =P

Edit
@above, still was influenced by sony

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
DarkCrudus said:
for all those who are saying boycott sony, just remember, dont buy anything NEW from them, buy it all second hand, I believe they dont get any profit from that =P

Edit
@above, still was influenced by sony
Of course it was influenced by Sony. I'm saying that they just didn't said: "HEY GERMAN POLICE, RAID THIS MOTHERFUCKER HOUSE AND CONFISCATE EVERY PC THERE". They don't have this power, it was a LEGAL DECISION.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
ThePowerOutage said:
graf_chokolo only reverse engineered, nothing to do with piracy. If that isn't legal, neither are Anti-Virus's.
Sorry? AV reverse engineered on virus themselves, which has no legal standing what so ever.

"The reverse engineering of software in the US is generally illegal because most EULA prohibit it, and courts have found such contractual prohibitions to override the copyright law; see Bowers v. Baystate Technologies. Article 6 of the 1991 EU Computer Programs Directive allows reverse engineering for the purposes of interoperability, but prohibits it for the purposes of creating a competing product, and also prohibits the public release of information obtained through reverse engineering of software." --- from Wiki

You do not know what you're citing. The case mention was a US landmark case, and you're mixing US copyright laws with European. The information is cited out of context. Here's some good info.
wink.gif

Wiki source used out of context said:
Reverse engineering is allowed under Article 6, but only for the single purpose of producing an interoperable program (rather than a competing program).

For this purpose, in addition to reverse engineering itself (i.e. producing a high level version of the code) subsequent forward engineering to produce the interoperable program is permitted.

This means that you cannot make a competing program with the information extracted from reverse engineering. You can't create a program that competes with Sony's. It also says that you cannot share the extracted knowledge to the public for that intention. However, you can create interoperable programs with that knowledge. In Graf_Chokolo's case, he really wanted to brink back linux. Do your own reading instead of citing wikipedia.

Source

It is also legal in the US.

US Copyright Law CH 12
(f) Reverse Engineering. — (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a particular portion of that program for the sole purpose of identifying and analyzing those elements of the program that are necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and that have not previously been readily available to the person engaging in the circumvention, to the extent any such acts of identification and analysis do not constitute infringement under this title.

Source

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Instead of spending time and resources to fix their console, they're going after all the hackers.

Instead of emailing him to say stop or anything, they skip all that shit and go straight for the raid through the police?

I get wanting to protect your shit, but you don't do it this way. And I'm surprised to see people saying Sony are in the right so far.

I'm glad Nintendo and Microsoft would NEVER dare do this. Mainly because they have brains working at those companies who knows if you go after people like this, you're hurting yourself in the end when people aren't buying your stuff and you start losing profits and stock. You also don't risk a huge hack coming your way like Sony is doing.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this keeps up, Sony will become so hated in the video game industry that they'll be unable to sell anything to anyone.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really getting on my nerves.

I really agree with you ShadowSoldier, they should have just said stop, not go right to him and take all his stuff.

He did say if they did this that he would release all of his research right?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Veho said:
ShadowSoldier said:
they skip all that shit and go straight for the raid through the police?
Sony doesn't control the German police.

No shit, Sherlock.

Instead of sending this guy a letter to stop or whatever. They just tell the police and then they raid him. So much for a warning.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZeroTm said:
He brought that upon himself. Sony is not overreacting whatsoever. They are just protecting their own goods, even if it means to raid someone's house. Pirates deserve to be punished. (I do realize that I'm on a hacking website, but as time passed I realized that we need to support the game industry, not damaging it by pirating every game we see.
Even if it mean yours? If you do not care then they can just raid your house on the smallest suspicion.

That if Sony was raiding the house themselves.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZeroTm said:
obvioustroll.jpg

Also, there's no closing parenthese.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ShadowSoldier said:
No shit, Sherlock.

Instead of sending this guy a letter to stop or whatever. They just tell the police and then they raid him. So much for a warning.
rolleyes.gif

a) How do you know they didn't sent him any warning? Or a cease and desist letter? Are you sure?

b) Again, Sony does not control the German police. They can't "tell the police and then they raid him." They can report his activity to the police and file a law suit, and if the prosecutor in charge deems it valid, the police then follows the standard procedure. Which, in cases of suspected copyright infringement, is searching his place and taking pretty much everything in as evidence. And calling ahead to warn him that they're coming would be a bit counterproductive.

If you think that's "going too far," feel free to take it up with the German courts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w49byd81I_Y