Hacking When Slot-1 cards take over, will FlashMe die out?

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before saying anything negative, I'd like to say that for as long as I've been attached to the DS homebrew/flashcart scene I have been a huge fan of FlashMe. I loved it back on my old silver DS when the only options were a wonky-ass PassMe device and WiFiMe (seriously, I WiFiMe'd exactly once to flash and then never worried about my DS recognizing unsigned code again). I sold my fiancee on it for her required-PassMe2 red Mario Kart DS after she got her first M3 because it's about 50 times more elegant than even the well-constructed professionally-built PassKey2 I had laying around. And more recently, I've probably made over 200 bucks flashing folks' DS Lite consoles just because my fee is cheaper than a PassCard/SuperKey purchase and lets people keep Slot-1 open for an authentic DS game. I personally have my backups on my SuperCard Rumble Lite in Slot-2, and my legal copy of Elite Beat Agents in Slot-1; who wants another 128MB tacked onto their flashcart? It's like turning my microSD card into a 1.125GB drive.

With competent Slot-1 devices in the pipeline, the usefulness of my flash-for-a-fee service and the general utility of FlashMe itself may be headed down the drain. The DS-Xtreme hasn't really done much to unseat it; I think a lot of consumers are sharp enough to recognize that a SuperCard Rumble + media + flashing-fee/SuperKey is still cheaper than $120 + shipping. And a lot of these other cards that have come out have been reviewed as pretenders enough not to really damage FlashMe's overall credibility either (I really expected the AceKard to be the king shit, but it just isn't living up). After all, why deprive yourself the compatibility and reputation of carts by companies like the M3 team and SuperCard team that have stood by the DS scene nearly since it began and come well-recommended by the community while no longer sticking out of the DS, just to free up a mostly-useless GBA slot?

Ironically, M3 and SuperCard's latest offerings look like FlashMe's swan song, even though their continued "Lite" flavored releases have been what kept it around in the face of so many shops shilling slot-1 devices as the new status quo. So at this point, the question becomes... what's the point of FlashMe if the SuperCard DS ONE or the M3 Simply DS deliver on their previous performance capabilities? Perhaps the new SuperCard/M3 offerings will include an irritating splashscreen like the PassCard3 does that will encourage purists like myself to stick to the non-stealthed no-bullshit fast-loading-zen that is FlashMe v7 and a SuperCard in slot-2. But that one tiny perk isn't going to be enough. Why stay hacked when nobody really knows what the future (Wii compatibility) will bring. I feel as though the time to choke back those tears and move forward while FlashMe slowly descends toward its grave is certainly upon us, and I'm quite sad for that.

Sure, it's just a hacked piece of firmware that's helped warez kiddies around the globe steal video games, but it's been special to me and it's rare that a program proves itself to be so very useful in so many of my day-to-day tasks. And call me silly, but I always thought it was a bit empowering to have my DS be able to do something that most others didn't, even if said others tried to use my flashcart. It's an ePenis thing, but one I enjoyed all the same.

Farewell, dearest FlashMe. You will be missed.

dblank

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It won't die out, it's still useful for removing the health screen, and recovering from firmware destroying code.

Madrigal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think the NoPass devices were the beginning of the end and pretty much made flashme obsolete, but the new slot-1 carts may be the killing blow. Personally I had my old 1st gen DS flashed, but by the time the Lite came out, NoPass was available so I didn't even bother flashing and just got a Superkey instead.

With the new slot-1 cards being an all-in-one solution, there really is no need for flashme at all anymore.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the passme devices were the beginning of the end and pretty much made flashme obsolete, but the new slot-1 carts may be the killing blow. Personally I had my old 1st gen DS flashed, but by the time the Lite came out, passme was available so I didn't even bother flashing and just got a Superkey instead.

With the new slot-1 cards being an all-in-one solution, there really is no need for flashme at all anymore.

PassMes were out first... If they made FlashMe obsolete, why was FlashMe created? Oh yeah, PassMes were big and bulky. NoPasses are a different story (which is what I believe you might be referring to).

Madrigal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think the passme devices were the beginning of the end and pretty much made flashme obsolete, but the new slot-1 carts may be the killing blow. Personally I had my old 1st gen DS flashed, but by the time the Lite came out, passme was available so I didn't even bother flashing and just got a Superkey instead.

PassMes were out first... If they made FlashMe obsolete, why was FlashMe created? Oh yeah, PassMes were big and bulky. NoPasses are a different story (which is what I believe you might be referring to).
Yeah, that's what I meant to say. NoPass
shy.gif

JonoBG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I regret installing flashme and see very little use for it. I wish there was a way I could uninstall it from my lite so that if i have a slot 1 and a slot 2 solution in my ds it wont automatically boot into the slot 2.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Flashme is ideal for stopping bricking because of viruses as someone has already pointed out. I don't think everyone will go with the slot 1 solutions. None of them are as good as using a good old supercard or M3 in the GBA slot yet. People will also want to play homebrew and GBA games something the slot 1 is still very limited in doing. GBA games will probably be impossible to play via slot 1. Flashme will be around for a while yet.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think it will die. i dont know about you guys, but im a cheap a$$ and dont have the $$ to buy a slot 1 card. im sure many of you are in the same situation
biggrin.gif

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't die out, it's still useful for removing the health screen, and recovering from firmware destroying code.
While I'll give you the health and safety thing (which some might not count as a benefit since there's no way to auto-boot a flashed DS to Slot-1), I'm a bit skeptical about the bricker protection. I've always talked about it as a benefit and one of FlashMe's saving graces, but how common are bricker viruses and the like? I run all sorts of wacky shit on my DS (although admittedly it's almost entirely provided by sources I trust), and I haven't ever run across a bricker.

I guess I'm just trying to evaluate how much of a benefit bricker-protection really is.

Let me guess. It is special to you because it makes you money?
hey thanks for your cool contribution dude that was really insightful

I think the NoPass devices were the beginning of the end and pretty much made flashme obsolete, but the new slot-1 carts may be the killing blow.
Yeah, the release of NoPass devices put a big question mark on FlashMe's future, but I guarantee what's kept it so popular is their price. It's way cheaper to buy a discounted PassMe2 amongst a bunch of friends and pass it around like a joint whilst it flashes everything in its path than to spend $25-30 per DS on the same functionality. I'm already seeing price drops on NoPassIes though, and that may end up having something to say about FlashMe's continued livelihood.

I think a lot of folks share your attitude though; the immediately tangible benefits offered by flashing are shrinking.

I don't think it will be the end. It will make a lot less users use it, but I find it pretty useful. If I got another DS Lite, I would still flash it.
Fair enough, but are you in the market for a Slot-1 device? The overwhelming demand for a Slot-1 flashcard is what I'm looking at, and if the bitching and moaning surrounding DS-Link's release and announcement that flashed firmware was required to use it was any indication, the Slot-1 folks don't want to fuck with FlashMe.

Personally, I'll probably continue running FlashMe until there's entirely too many good reasons not to -- but I have an irrational fondness toward it.

People will also want to play homebrew and GBA games something the slot 1 is still very limited in doing. GBA games will probably be impossible to play via slot 1. Flashme will be around for a while yet.
I don't see that holding much water. After all -- your Slot-1 SuperCard or M3 will happily act as a passthrough to your M3/G6/whatever in Slot-2 and let you load up some GBA games.

There's something else. If you want Download Play to work reliably, you need to FlashMe the client DS.
Man, I still don't fully understand the whole Download Play mess. Sometimes shit works and sometimes shit doesn't work when we all get together and play. One of our friends has an unflashed DS, but we always give him a PassCard and an extra G6 and just have him host the games. That seems to work most of the time and for most games, but we still get weird-ass occaisional errors (for instance, Clubhouse Games crashes everytime we complete a game served through Download Play). Everything else between flashed DS's seems to go off without a hitch, but I'm always confused about what's the source of issues when we run into them (e.g. some players boot into actual ROMs through their flashcarts, others just select Download Play; sometimes the game requires that we all select Download Play). I feel like I've heard somewhere that running stuff from Slot-2 at all and having to patch the ROMs is the real source of trouble, but I don't understand how that would be completely negated by having both DS's carrying flashed firmware. Is there a good article and/or series of articles that delves into this issue more?

Headache-free Download Play between flashcarts would be super, but I thought that the DS-Xtreme was the only product that truly offers said functionality. And at its price point and fixed storage size, it's not on the radar.

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to dblank's comments. Although as far as the bricker is concerned it is not common at all (I visit a fair few sites that deal with DS stuff and have not heard anything of it for ages)

I am not too sure if flashme usage has really curtailed since self contained passmes and nopass devices appeared but if the lack of "how do I run/what is flashme?" questions are anything to go by then it has or has reached critical mass (either that or people read stickies, guides and have learnt to search).

If however FWNitro development continues or one of the other custom firmware projects makes some headway then I can see that taking off: look at the xbox modding community, how many of them use a non standard dashboard.

As for download play madness I have never fallen foul of it so as far as I am concerned it does warrant my attention.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've used the passkey device once to flash and after that, it just got chucked into the cupboard and thank goodness since it makes it look real bulky. Anyways, i really haven't seen any brickers for the DS (lol, hentaiviewer for DS. Who remembers that?) but I keep mine as a, "just in case". But yeah, I'll get the slot 1 one day for multiplayer.... and if I can find anyone with a DS and a flashcart

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
there's no way to auto-boot a flashed DS to Slot-1
Uh... yes, there is. Just set the DS to Auto Boot and make sure you have nothing with the PASS code in slot 2. If you're really crazy you could try dumping the flash ROM from your flashcard and modify the header to make it not auto-boot to slot 2 if it's inserted. Alternatively, just press Select when booting, is that really a problem?

About the download-play issue... A normal DS checks the downloaded content for RSA encryption, and if it is incorrect, it will not run the code. For some reason - I don't know if it's due to patching or something else - running a ROM and then sending download play content with it will make this RSA incorrect. FlashMe removes this RSA-check, which allows you to run it anyway.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You don't need any form of passthrough for GBA games, they run natively.

Also, patching a game will indeed break RSA encryption. This might also be broken during the dumping process as part of the DS header has to be decrypted. I don't know if it breaks RSA though.

felix123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
In addition to the two "brickers", sometimes homebrew will unintentionally damage your firmware. It actually happened a few months ago. (The software was fixed quickly.)

Timo710

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I flashed my DS for the right reason : getting rid of that passkey!
Flashing still is the only method to protect your DS from firmware brickers, the only way to brick an flashed DS is by creating a fake flashme.nds file asking to short SL1.

Flashme is like wearing a condom:
It takes little time to put on a condom, But it will keep you save from HIV.
It takes little time to flash a NDS, But it will keep you save from Hentaiviewers bricking your DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @AncientBoi my condolences to both of you +1