When life gives you dilemmas...

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by ArugulaZ, Feb 26, 2016.

1. ArugulaZ
    OP

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    ... make dilemma-nade. Or something like that.

Okay, here's my problem. The New 3DS is great for emulation, but there's a lot of official things I like to do with it that are strictly off-limits until I update the firmware. I draw a lot on Miiverse, for instance, and prefer to do that on the 3DS rather than my Wii U. So right now I'm stuck in an uncomfortable position. If I pick one, I have to sacrifice the other... and I want both.

So I've got some questions for those kind enough to offer their assistance. I presume that Menuhax is gone and probably won't be coming back. With this in mind, could I update to 10.6 now, buy a vulnerable game cart (ie Ocarina of Time), and restore homebrew access later? Or will I need to stay at 10.5 just to install the latest version of OOThax?

Second question: would a hardmod grant me access to homebrew regardless of what firmware my system is currently on? I'm considering that route, although I'd want an expert to handle it. I've soldered before, but I would hate to crack open my New 3DS and find out I couldn't reassemble it later. How much does such a service cost, and who can I trust to do it?

Finally, I have an Old 3DS XL I could slum with for homebrew if need be. I think it's on firmware 8.x or 9.x; I'm not sure. Is it useful at all for emulation? Can it run Neo-Geo and CPS2 games at or near full speed? Or is it foolish to expect that kind of performance from it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    If you update to 10.6 right now, you'll need another 3ds you can use to install the oothax with the 10.6 payload, so you can use oothax on 10.6.

Hardmod let you go back to a previous FW version if you did a backup of your nand before. This is frequently used to go back to a FW version able to be exploted.
    (if you don't know what I am talking about, probably you don't have such backup).
    There is a method that let you go back to previous firmwares without the backup I said above, but the hardmod is mandatory.

Depending on the version your old 3ds have, you can use it to install the required payload to use oothax on 10.6.

Also, it's probable that you could easily set up a CFW on your old 3ds and run gba and nes games with a better framerate than using homebrew emulators

Last edited by Arubaro, Feb 26, 2016
  3. KaduPSE

KaduPSE Revolution and cake

Dec 26, 2015
    Brazil
    With a hardmod you can currently downgrade modifying your NAND dump, but keep in mind this can be impossible in future updates. With a downgrade, you can create an Emunand partition, your Emunand then can be updated to the latest version and will work with all online services, including Eshop and Miiverse, but on an environment where all signature checks are patched and all homebrew can run.

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Echoing what others have said: hardmod, downgrade to 10.3, downgrade to 9.2, and then use CFW emuNAND.

5. ArugulaZ
    OP

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Is there anyone in the Southwest that does hard mods for you? As I mentioned previously, I'm hesitant to crack open my New 3DS XL and mess around with the innards. I could look for someone on Craigslist, but if you know a specific, trustworthy person who could do it with a month's turnaround that would really help me out!

EDIT: Oh wait, this is the link I was looking for!
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/list-of-hardmod-installers-by-region.414224/

Last edited by ArugulaZ, Feb 26, 2016