Hacking When it comes to card features...

Electric_Wizard

OP
Trophies
Website
www.obscenelygreen.net
XP
Country
I'm curious...

It seems to me, that there are a whole host of fantastic cards around at the moment. I change my mind about which one to get every 5 minutes!

Each card obviously has it's own set of features, but I'm wandering which of the features currently offered are powered by the hardware and which are software.

For example, Supercard recently released a loader update adding real time save support. Does this mean that potentially any card could add this feature?

I am particularly interested in the new Acecard RPG. It sounds like a great quality card, but the software is currently a bit lacking. As it is open source does this mean that potentially developers could add the best features from all the other top cards or is the hardware going to limit them.

Any thoughts?

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The might, but who knows. After all I ordered an Evo because it had GREAT software features and has a whole laundry list of neat ideas to be added. It was also supposed to have had great support...

So, mine come DOA (works electrically but needs a shim to make it mate with DS connectors, so I'm going to send it back after the holidays).

Then comes along Supercard the v3.0 OS which ADDS REALTIME SAVES, a feature that has ALWAYS been in the Evo menu, but greyed out. So now we get a message from Cyclops, oh yeah we had it mostly working for a while but it wasn't perfect so we didn't release it, but now we will(some day) since a competitor released that functionality.

So, now we have Supercard DS One SDHC looks good excepting for it's incredibly stupid battery save for unpatched ROMs.

M3 DS Real, which supports SDHC is fairly cheap(comparatively speaking), sporting similar functionality.

TTDS/DSTT which look good ATM, but their software needs alot of work, and almost no one sells them ATM.

AceKard RPG almost no one still sells these, they're expensive, and the open source firmware idea doesn't seem to be catching on. I'm really leery of this card, but if the open source firmware ever goes anywhere it could be killer, esp. if they dumped the onboard FLASH such that they could go for a lower price... As it is now, I wouldn't touch one.

R4DS/EZF V still look like reliable standbies and are still actually getting firmware updates and new features, but they'll be limited by their initial design specs and gradually fall far behind IMO.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the SCDS uses the battery when you don't patch the game, but you can easily open the patcher menu and tick the option to make it save directly to the cart. It patches in memory without modifying the actual rom, so the rom remains clean.

For what it's worth, the M3 Simply and R4 also patch roms in memory upon execution, though they do it more transparently, without the user realizing it's happening.

As for the original question, it depends on the feature. For instance, cheat support is something a software update can provide, and I assume that the RTS will go the same way within a few months. SDHC support on the other hand appears to be related to hardware, though I'm not entirely sure on that.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Software wise everyone is saying Cyclo rules. Everyone says it is king of everything. Hardware wise, it stinks more than shit itself.

The acekard RPG is the best hardware wise but isn't too great software wise. Even if things get implemented no where reliable sells them that I know of. DEFINITELY NOT BAMBOO GAMING! I was trying to order one last night and I spent hours trying to PAY THEM MY MONEY AND IT WOULDN'T LET ME! Bamboo gaming is shit.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I don't see in any way at all that the Cyclo is king of software, I think without a doubt Mr.Romman rules the roost.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
What are these unique Cyclo features ? I must admit i know of none whatsoever.

Game slowdown is the only one I know of.

Has a great DOA feature too.. at no extra cost to boot
rofl2.gif

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why people are bashing the CycloDS Evolution. It is by FAR the best cart out on the market. Just because it has a few DOA issues, it is getting criticized. They replace them, early on, they even gave out free MicroSD cards as a sorry... You can't beat customer service like that. I don't care how bad it is, customer service makes up for it.
Hadn't heard of that before. Now I kinda want to order one and hope it is DOA. lol
rofl2.gif

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, fine, maybe DOA isn't as big as I thought but you have to admit it is way more than other carts. Still, I am not saying cyclo is bad. I think cyclo is great and when batch 4/5 black ones come out I think they will have fixed everything.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, the SCDS uses the battery when you don't patch the game, but you can easily open the patcher menu and tick the option to make it save directly to the cart. It patches in memory without modifying the actual rom, so the rom remains clean.

For what it's worth, the M3 Simply and R4 also patch roms in memory upon execution, though they do it more transparently, without the user realizing it's happening.

exactly.
it's not stupid at all to have the option to save to the battery in clean mode.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, fine, maybe DOA isn't as big as I thought but you have to admit it is way more than other carts. Still, I am not saying cyclo is bad. I think cyclo is great and when batch 4/5 black ones come out I think they will have fixed everything.

No I cannot admit that, R4 has had far more issues than the CycloDS Evolution...
Hmm.....
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
Well, R4 seems very popular still if it had this much problems.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are these unique Cyclo features ? I must admit i know of none whatsoever.

As for features, there are quite a few, slow down, cheats, perfect integration with the EZ Flash 3 in 1, in game enhanced menu (which is more like 3 features because it is the menu for 3 features), and now real time save and real time guide is coming soon. It is safe to say that they have the most features out on the market, except perhaps the Supercard DS ONE, but that will change in a matter of days.
I think sidneyyoung's point was that he was looking for features unique solely to the CycloDS Evo. Of the ones you listed, 3in1 integration is probably the only one that the SCDS doesn't already have.

I'm not saying the CycloDS is a bad cart or anything. It's a great product, I fully admit. I'm just saying that you can't claim it to have "unique" features when other devices offer the same thing.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DLDI is a software thing. Granted, sometimes the only way for homebrew to support a cart is if a homebrew coder makes a DLDI file for it, but usually the manufacturer helps out and provides its own DLDI file or enough documentation for someone else to create one. Pretty much every device out there now is supported by DLDI in that there is DLDI file written for it.

If you're referring to auto-patching, where the user doesn't need to manually patch on his/her computer, then several cards support it. R4, M3 Simply, CycloDS Evolution, Supercard DS, slot-2 Supercards, and more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?