Gaming When is Nintendo gonna announce the Virtual Console for the Switch?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's now April and I'm wondering when Nintendo will announce VC support. I've been downloading NeoGeo games, but what about NES, SNES, N64, GBA, and DS games? Even Wii games, if possible. If they start over again with only NES and SNES, I'm gonna be pissed! That's one thing the Wii U did and one of it's first of many mistakes! GBA games are long overdue for an actual 'handheld" since the 3DS only got 10 GBA games.

Crystal ball is broken, try again later. My guess is they'll announce it whenever they announce it, no sooner and no later.

Reactions: darkten

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meanwhile, Reggie still continues to lie to everyone about Mother 3 being localized!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The 3DS got more than ten GBA games.
No it didn't. You can add injected GBA games via CFW but they run just like the ambassador releases, with no restore points.

Is there a GBA emulator for the N3DS, that is on par with one for the Wii U VC? Tried a GBA emulator on the N3DS and it ran pretty sluggish. The only "full speed" GBA games that work are the injected ROMs that run off the ambassador ROMs.

Last edited by 03bgood,

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know how others feel about it but I want sonic adventure 2 battle on vc. Always wanted a portable chap garden.
Yes, I'd love the Sonic Adventure games on the GameCube VC, along with Heroes. In fact, I already have 10 GCN games on the Wii U via Nintendon't and the only problem I had was that the saves were magically deleted and I had to start over again and beating that pinball red coin challenge in Super Mario Sunshine is such a fucking bitch! Did they ever fix the audio issues with SSBM? When I was playing Adventure Mode, the F-Zero stage started looping the first few seconds of the track, over and over. Also, the lottery game makes a loud buzz, when a trophy comes out. Almost as if the game has crashed, yet it doesn't.

Last edited by 03bgood,
Reactions: slingblade1170
S

Saiyan Lusitano

The Switch should definitely have VC games available because the system is so lacking in terms of titles to play. I'm actually disappointed that VC are completely missing and because of it, there's no Ambassador deal for any of us early owners. :(

Yeah, I know I said VC didn't matter but I didn't realise the Switch would be this weak!

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said this somewhere else, but I'll say it here as well. Nintendo should consider changing the structure of the Virtual Console with the Switch. Instead of having us each pay for individual games separately. The Virtual Console should instead be a Netflix-like experience where you pay monthly (maybe $10 or so a month) and can play all the Virtual Console titles available on the service for that month.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On may, with paid online service.

There have been a lot of random rumors I've seen, talking about different Virtual Console things, but they all seem to allude to the idea that multiplayer Virtual Console titles may actually be playable with your friends online. That would be awesome, and a brilliant way to breathe some new life in these old games.

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think they ever will announce such a thing. Why would they? The President of Nintendo pretty much said they are not really into it - if anything, they'd like standalone with modern features added.

Why do people think this is a "thing"? Why is it important to have Yet-Another-New-Nintendo platform playing games from the 80s and 90s? Wouldn't you rather have new content?

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think they ever will announce such a thing. Why would they? The President of Nintendo pretty much said they are not really into it - if anything, they'd like standalone with modern features added.

Why do people think this is a "thing"? Why is it important to have Yet-Another-New-Nintendo platform playing games from the 80s and 90s? Wouldn't you rather have new content?

What? VC has been a thing since the Wii, following onto the 3DS and Wii U - their next platforms. Why wouldn't people think it's a thing? The president has never said anything like that too. In fact, Nintendo as a whole said "Virtual Console games will not be available on Nintendo Switch at launch. We will share more information in the future." meaning they likely have plans for VC.

What's wrong with having a few old games you enjoy on your console? Hell, my hacked 3DS is pretty much half 3DS games, half injected VC games.It's also not like porting old games is taking away from new content, different divisions do different things. They don't just storm into a dev studio and go "Right, stop working on Mario Oddysey, we've gotta port some old games!"

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? VC has been a thing since the Wii, following onto the 3DS and Wii U - their next platforms.
'

So?

Why wouldn't people think it's a thing? The president has never said anything like that too.

Actually...the Head of Nintendo of Japan said this. Fis-Amee does NOT run Nintendo :)

In fact, Nintendo as a whole said "Virtual Console games will not be available on Nintendo Switch at launch. We will share more information in the future." meaning they likely have plans for VC.

...or an explanation of the planned strategy. As hinted at by, you know, the guy that *runs Nintendo*. We have so far seen this strategy in play: Standalones of ports with modern stuff added in. The only thing Nintendo has said about *their* offerings that is definitive is "we plan to Retro Game of The Month" with an option to buy. Since NOJ's head has stated "older games, modern features"...It is pretty much a given that this is what they want to do :)

What's wrong with having a few old games you enjoy on your console? Hell, my hacked 3DS is pretty much half 3DS games, half injected VC games.It's also not like porting old games is taking away from new content, different divisions do different things. They don't just storm into a dev studio and go "Right, stop working on Mario Oddysey, we've gotta port some old games!"

There is a saying "Perception is Reality". Nintendo does not seem, this time around, to *want to be* th Good Ol' Games Platform. They seem to be aiming squarely at Good Ol' *Gameplay* with new IP.

My biggest issue I think with this whole notion, personally, is the entitlement - they are not going to let people "redownload" the New Old Stuff for free...people will piss and moan. There is also this sense of almost...entitlement around the whole thing. It is just weird. I played all of these things in the 80s, 90s, 00s when they first came out...then some again on "Virtual Console".

It was novel 10 years ago. :)

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch should definitely have VC games available because the system is so lacking in terms of titles to play. I'm actually disappointed that VC are completely missing and because of it, there's no Ambassador deal for any of us early owners. :(

Yeah, I know I said VC didn't matter but I didn't realise the Switch would be this weak!

LOL the thing has been on the market for 36 days. I have bought new stuff every week since it has been released. I am not sure what it is you are expecting to happen...a Blockbuster per Week? Does that happen on any platform, anywhere?

It's working. They know what they are doing and it *looks like* every month this year they are going to get at least one XPlaform release of some sort to run the metrics on. The target is to tell the developers and the world: if you are going to make something multiplatform, here are our attach rate numbers...the (perceived) "problems" will sort themselves out for all but a handful of studios that want to make pixel-driven 3d interactive movies :)

The Virtual Console strategy is irrelevant - the goal is to drive *new development* to the platform. It doesn't need 20 year old games. They would like it very much if people made *new* games that *played* like 20 year old games for sure, and will take what they can get. If this wasn't the goal, they would not have bent over backwards to have First-Class support for the Number 1 (by far) and 2 game engines on Earth on their platform.

The VC doesn't matter and they actually know what they are doing. I still have a little skepticism...we'll see how May looks with NBA Playgrounds...then it will be clear if what Nintendo is trying to do strategically is going to work.

(Disclosure: I am in the industry.)

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

vegaskid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They need to make new games new snes castlevania new snes contra I'm tired of buying same games over and over plus mini nes has them now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou