When gaming, do you impose rules on yourself?

Goli

RPG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I do! But I guess it's more of a OCD-ish thing, whenever I play RPGs I usually impose some rule on me, here's a list of the ones I remember:
Final Fantasy III: Whenever a character gained a job level I'd switch them to the next one, from top to bottom.
Final Fantasy VIII: I extracted as much magic as I could from every enemy till the end of Disc 1, afterwards I dropped it, it was a waste of time.
Final Fantasy IX: Every character would learn every ability they could even if it meant using lv.1 equipment.
Final Fantasy X-2: I didn't change jobs till I learned every ability avaliable for that job at that moment.
Final Fantasy XIII: Every character would learn every ability they could from the first paradigm from top to bottom before moving to the next one, unless the current Crystarium level cap was reached.
Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo's Dungeon: I didn't change jobs till mastering the current one, in chronological order. In Mystery Dungeon games I always explore the floor I'm in fully before moving on, even if I alredy havebefore; this obviously applies here too.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance & A2 (Playing ATM): I won't change jobs until I have learned every ability I can with my current bought equipment, only if I master the job, run out of equipment while I'm far from a town or I need to change someone from some race to a specific job will I change it. Also, I may only have one clan member of each race excluding important playable characters like the main characters and important playable characters Ritz or Frimelda, for example.
I usually play every game in the hardest difficulty avaliable from the get-go.
I usually talk to/bother as many NPCs as I can before moving on, which is amusing in games like Assassin's Creed.
Also, in most games that have optional quests that are kept track of, like FFTA & A2, The Last Remnant, Crisis Core, etc. I will ALWAYS do as many as I can before moving with the main quest, this also includes games like Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World that have half-assed repeated quests throughout the whole game (in this particular game, this extended the usual 40 hour play-through to 85 hours).
There's more but I can't remember them right now, anyways, do you impose things like these upon you when gaming?

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One rule for all. Cheating is really just telling yourself you're too fucking useless to win honestly.

Thus I never use cheat codes, god mode or any form of hint book.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I reach for the first time the elite four in Pokemon HeartGold, I downgraded via pokesav the level of my pokemons from 60 to 45-50.

I use a cheat... but the opposite way that is generally used
laugh.gif

It´s amazing how challenging turns a Pokemon game when you play with weaker pokemons.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I only did such thing for one game. Final Fantasy XII.

I would kill and revive my characters in the beginning of the game to Sync up their LP and Exp.
Everyone would level exactly the same second, point-for-point.

And all their LP were spent/learned the exact same.

And they were always equipped with the same weapons and armors.

So all characters were the exact same in terms of Lvl, Exp, LP, Skills, Weapons, and Armor.

It made for a pretty efficient team.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I Have a few

1) Never play a game on easier than the normal setting difficulty on first playthrough

2) Never cheat untill you've finished a game at least once

3) Never cheat online against other people (I wish more people would obey this)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only time I ever do this is when we are playing "challenges" on a given game- quite good when a game lacks multiplayer and probably the basis of why I consider achievements to be a stupid idea.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Terenigma said:
I Have a few

1) Never play a game on easier than the normal setting difficulty on first playthrough

2) Never cheat untill you've finished a game at least once

3) Never cheat online against other people (I wish more people would obey this)
This. Exactly. Oh and I avoid any walkthroughs ect.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
I never cheat. That just ruins the game, sometimes literally (Grand Theft Auto)

Also, in RPGs like Pokemon, the first thing I do is grind until I'm like 15 levels ahead of everybody. Yes, it's definitely a sign of OCD.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I only had one case of this actually, when playing Puchi Carat on the GBC a friend of mine said (as an exaggerated suggestion) "you'll have to tkae the rabbit thingy as your character!"
I misunderstood this and thought my game would fuck up if I didn't choose that thing (don't ask why I thought that, I was like 6.)
It was only years later that I discovered that every other character was perfectly playable without having my game die on me.
I still LOL when I think of that time.

Goli

RPG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I usually don't cheat unless I'm playing a GTA game, I just love breaking havoc among the city.
The only other two times I've cheated was on FFXII: RW, where I did all the missions, that made the final boss level 99 and he kept killing me so I insta-killed him and saw the credits, the other was on FFIV DS to get a Rainbow Tail, I believe, for one of the Namingway quests since I didn't feel like waiting for the enemies to drop it since it's such a rare drop.

Rogue Trader

Trophies
XP
Country
I usually play through games on the hardest available difficulty, purely because I rarely have time to go back and I like to get my moneys worth.

I don't mind cheats in some games, but will never use them in a serious way to win (for example, I always found GTA boring, so i'd put on the unlimited weapons and walk around blowing stuff up).

I also hate when people cheat in multiplayer games, recently during Halo 3 people have been switching teams mid game and betraying the team they switched to. It gets annoying.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Me and my brother follow a few personal rules:
Hardest difficulty whenever possible
Gamefaqs ONLY when we've exhausted both our brains and patience figuring something out.
No cheats unless you've beaten the game legit at least once and even then just to play around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient