When does your personal mental cutoff for "old games" begin? Do you have an end date as well?

tempy_thinker.png

"old consoles like the N64" and "my parents used to play Resident Evil" are but two examples of phrases that have made me think "wow I am old" when doing the rounds of the forums over the years. In my case I had been playing games for a long time before the predecessors of the consoles in question were even industry rumours. This often leads to people maybe knowing about games from "back then" (wherever that may be) but seldom having lived it and lumping/blurring all things before then together in their heads, despite the massive changes that any would be student of the art in question will tell you about. If games are hard to conceptualise this for then maybe think what you think of as old music, or old films, and then consider that you can likely find hours of long form documentaries detailing the importance of maybe 5 years (or just one band) wherein something like jazz and blues formed, or rock and roll, punk, metal (and divisions thereof), hip hop and more besides. Coincidentally 5 years is also about the average length of a console generation. Modern historians of any field will also consider living memory as part of their work, and while they tends to refer the world as a whole there are offshoots.

On the flip side I have met the opposite side of things where people might not have fallen out of gaming, but fallen out of current gaming. Now my misgivings with the current generation of consoles formed the basis of a previous entry in this series but it does also mean that while I was very current with the xbox 360 and DS (often writing up and discussing new releases as they dropped) I am rather less familiar with the order of releases (or indeed no releases worth considering) for the PS4, xbone, 3ds and beyond. Now I contend that is for good reason and that things today are plenty recognisable but don't do it that well, probably by virtue of bad monetisation schemes, but the effects are still the same. I have seen others that fell out during the PS2, but still retain a seemingly encyclopaedic knowledge of 8 and 16 bit consoles, even the more obscure ones. Do you have something similar, or maybe just a gap somewhere?

Assuming you are not old enough to remember the first game (and are also willing to forgo the electromechanical debate) then when do your memories of games start, and when do they start to be fairly crystallised with respect to time (this came after that, this led to that, this paved the way for...)? One also wonders how it might play out as not everybody got gaming magazines or TV shows, or possibly cared about such things, and thus while technical release dates are one thing if you never got it before the next year (or maybe if you are in a PAL region you might only just be getting it).

In my case in addition to the lack of current stuff above then the commodore 64 is probably fairly in order, and while I played many things on a bbc micro, vic20 and whatever else (I was doing retro before it was cool, mainly because it was cheap and things still played well enough) they are all "old games" in my head. The NES I can do reasonably well but it would be the 16 bit era before I can recount releases. PS1 on through the 360 is all very clear. Being very much PAL bound before the N64 (and even then that was but a handful of games with an adapter) it will also be very PAL, or indeed UK, centric. Some of this is likely also changed or informed by my tendency to go for second hand games when they get cheaper, or indeed after consoles have died and we are onto the next.

Or to finish the "wow I am old thing" then if you are 18 today it is quite possible your hand me down console you got at say 5 or 6 (so 2006, the xbox 360 having already been released and seeing the release of the Wii and PS3) was a PS2 and everything before that might be expected to be from the before times. If you were from a richer family, or just starting out, said 18 year old might well have started with a PS3, 360 or Wii.

This is part of a discussion series wherein we contemplate things about games, be it concepts, individual games, the industry at large, mechanics or the gaming culture at large. Previously we discussed games and media franchises you know mostly from offbeat and forgotten sources.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I started out with a BBC micro, I can’t go back and play them though.

I would agree with @Zyvyn, NES really nailed playability and therefore more enjoyable nostalgia, and generations going forward also built off of this commercially successful model.

I have a huge soft spot for N64 as you all know, but I cannot stand Sega Saturn games, I haven’t found anything enjoyable on it yet :( (controversial)

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Just about anything before the [PLATFORM=/platform/snes]Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)[/PLATFORM] . The only [PLATFORM=/platform/nes]Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)[/PLATFORM] game that I can remember thoroughly enjoying is [GAME=/game/super-mario-bros.358]Super Mario Bros.[/GAME] , but I've found SNES to be much more tolerable.

I'm glad I played [GAME=/game/metroid-zero-mission.1107]Metroid: Zero Mission[/GAME] rather than [GAME=/game/metroid.1101]Metroid[/GAME], as I just can't get into that one, despite being a Metroid fan.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Let me see... I am willing to admit PS2 and consoles and games of that time are "old", and that's the cutoff point in my mind. I know I'm behind the times with this but this basically sums up my view on it:

p72eLNz.png

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me it would be anything not currently in production. When I go to a Wal-Mart or Target and I cannot find the games for a specific system then I consider it to be retro. Generally anything that came out well over a decade ago.

Reactions: souhukyafod

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I don't really understand what do you mean when you mention "mental cutoff", but if I assume correctly, then absolutely anything before the NES, with the exception of a few arcade games at the time, like Pac-Man.
I was born in the middle of the 90s, but I was lucky enough to have a big brother who brought me into gaming, starting with the NES, SEGA Master System, and MS-DOS.
As of the early arcade games, my local city's mall had them by chance, so that's how I experienced them at a very early age.

Stuff like the early Atari games are what I consider too old nowadays, because in my opinion, they are too limited and lacking for replayability.
"But Pac-Man was lacking replayability too!"
Sure, but for it's simplicity, it's a great time consumer for short waiting times.

Last edited by RedoLane,

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TL;DR is cutoff time for when memories of what games you can recall well end, or cutoff for what you consider too old to enjoy and play?
With the possible exception of the N64 I can still enjoy many games from pretty much everything, and for the N64 stuff then when it was remade for XBLA or something then I still enjoy it (Perfect Dark 64 could teach most modern shooters a thing or three about how to do multiplayer).
Still games, and possibly the general lay of the gaming land, that you can recall well with everything else just being a mash in your head.

For me it would be anything not currently in production. When I go to a Wal-Mart or Target and I cannot find the games for a specific system then I consider it to be retro. Generally anything that came out well over a decade ago.
Yesterday I went into CEX (high street second hand games and electronics shop in a lot of places but these days probably the biggest in the UK). They still had walls of PS3 and 360 games, and not just a small shelf in the back or the basement.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I started with the Atari, and the NES after that. I played every console after, so I can say that, up to the N64, they could be considered classics nowadays, starting from the NES and being more legendary the older it goes until Atari. I say that because its the oldest console I put my hands onto. The NES ones are definitely pure legend, they saved the industry.

Reactions: THYPLEX

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I cut my gaming teeth on an Atari 2600/VCS back in the 70's so that would be my start point I guess. As long as I have fun there is no end point for me at the moment.

Last edited by ILuvGames,
Reactions: VatoLoco

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hmm I'd also say anything before NES, some games are still playable for me on the NES. I really liked megaman 6 on the NES and actually played it recently. I remember my first game being Fifa 97, then I had a ps1 for a short time and then I was introduced to snes emulators and that consumed a lot of my time as a kid. Once I got a gameboy colour, the handheld gaming stuck with me and handheld gaming has been my favourite way to game ever since!

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can see the PS2 era with the addition of only the Wii from the following generation to be considered old games, though maybe even the PS3 and Xbox 360, depending on who you ask. Essentially anything that isn't current gen. Although for the term "retro" I personally feel it is more fitting for the PS2 generation and before. Note that I grew up with Mega Drive and Master System games.

Last edited by Zense,

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the possible exception of the N64 I can still enjoy many games from pretty much everything, and for the N64 stuff then when it was remade for XBLA or something then I still enjoy it (Perfect Dark 64 could teach most modern shooters a thing or three about how to do multiplayer).
Still games, and possibly the general lay of the gaming land, that you can recall well with everything else just being a mash in your head.

Yesterday I went into CEX (high street second hand games and electronics shop in a lot of places but these days probably the biggest in the UK). They still had walls of PS3 and 360 games, and not just a small shelf in the back or the basement.

Yeah I mean of course it's going to be different for some stores in other territories/countries etc. And it's more of a general rule than a hard and fast one. But generally I consider retro to be systems that follow 3 pillars

* They no longer are being marketed for

* Few if any Mainstream stores are carrying games for the system

* Online services are either shut down or expected to be shutdown within a short amount of time.

Anything before PS4/XboxOne/Switch I would consider as meeting these pillars.

Reactions: THYPLEX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr