When did you start getting into homebrewing/jailbreaking?

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess some Early 90s pc games.. idk

But I remember being soo excited with a Gba EZ flash. Man people now a days are soo Spoiled. You did not have to hook up the flashcard to Virus laden Proprietary Software that usually was in Chinese. and only able to load 2-3 games before you ran out of space..

EZ-2-PS-box.jpg

and I remember I used to go to a website that listed and keep the order of scene releases of GBA ROMs... it was super popular... only if I remembered the name?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I started hacking/homebrew in my freshman year of high school. I got an iPod (5th Gen,) for my birthday and hated the buggy mess that was iTunes. I got so tired of fighting with it, that I decided to install Rockbox onto my iPod. I started getting more used to this kind of stuff, I moved onto my OG Xbox. Eventually, homebrew became a means of saving money when I was super poor. I got flashcarts for my DS for ROMs and also the homebrew scene that I became active in when I decided to join the Temp. I kept just being involved and here I am now.

Reactions: DebianLoriX

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started hacking/homebrew in my freshman year of high school. I got an iPod (5th Gen,) for my birthday and hated the buggy mess that was iTunes. I got so tired of fighting with it, that I decided to install Rockbox onto my iPod. I started getting more used to this kind of stuff, I moved onto my OG Xbox. Eventually, homebrew became a means of saving money when I was super poor. I got flashcarts for my DS for ROMs and also the homebrew scene that I became active in when I decided to join the Temp. I kept just being involved and here I am now.
.... I just noticed your only 1 day older then me!!

Reactions: The Catboy

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As a kid I was always drooling at Game Boy flashcarts, wishing i could afford one or could convince my family to order one online, so I could have endless games. Since I had discovered Game Boy emulators and used to download all the Pokemon and Zelda ROMs and play them on my PC but wished I could play them on my GBC to have them on the go and in bed.
So since pretty early on. But I didn't get my first flashcart until the DS was out and ever since then, I've been hacking or buying flashcarts for every console I own, save for the 360 (not enough games I care about on that to bother)

DebianLoriX

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Italy
I got an iPod (5th Gen,) for my birthday and hated the buggy mess that was iTunes. I got so tired of fighting with it, that I decided to install Rockbox onto my iPod.

sigh... Rockbox! You remember me my old Sandisk Sansa Clip, me too I flashed it with Rockbox, but soon the li-po battery was out; so I decided carefully to open it and I soldered + and - to two wires and I connected it out to an external box with a 3.6V LI-ion. So it resuscitate and it runs so smooth for more than three years, until the LI-ion had to be replaced... I did it, but I accidentally inverted the polarity and so I FRIED my dear Sandisk, RIP !!!

Now to buy it it cost more than 50/60$, I originally paid only 10$ shipped, could anyone suggest me something inexpensive to replace my glorious Sansa Clip, than could run RockBox?

Last edited by DebianLoriX,

inetkun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started with iOS devices and eventually as gaming devices have aged, I hack those too. I try not to hack into anything that is still currently supported. Out of all of the hacking I've done, the 3DS and Vita have been the best. I don't really think iOS devices need to be hacked for what I want out of them anymore, the official feature set has eclipsed what the jailbreak community can offer. Last time I ever hacked an iOS device, I tried to restore my device to remove the hack, and found that 3 other Apple IDs (not belonging to me) had snuck their way in. I swore it off forever after seeing that.

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
I remember when I was young some of my cousins having bootleg gba carts and a bit later having ds flashcards, I was amazed by them.
Some time later my aunt donated to me one of my cousin's practically destroyed ds lite, it had an M3 flashcard, which is when I started modding and stuff.

Even later I got donated another ds from a friend that had a weird R4 cart, as a rational person would do, I created an account here and made a weird post ranting about how slow it was at loading games and stuff... my account went inactive for a while, when one day after buying a wii from friend I realised it was already homebrewed which incentivesd me to become active again, it was all homebrew from here.

Most of the devices I own that can be homebrewed already have, with the latest one being an Old 3ds xl, I even homebrewed the kindle paperwhite I'm currently using to write this very message.

Last edited by Vila_,

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
I first got into it after watching 70s tech on modern marvels, figured out how to install Stella and nestopia on the computer (circa 2005)

The first homebrew I ran, was playing super Mario bros via imbnes for ps1 using the disc swap trick,

I got into flashcards after seeing

Well I knew them as multi carts before actual flashcards, as memory was all internal, you had to use a special dongle, which connected via db25 or db9, and needed some software for flashing, for the gb, back when they were called game copiers still

Way more complicated than using micro SD,

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,
Reactions: JuanMena

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old post but interesting topic since 2008. It was in interesting concept because games that I haven't played as a kid I can play them again such as SNES, Gameboy Color , Sega, GBA and etc..etc.. but modding does make you a spoil brat and entitled because you expect everything handed over to you by modders which is why modding has kind declined over the years. It's getting harder to harder to mod.

Back in the day jailbreaking an iphone used to be cool nowadays there is zero reason to jailbreak one.

D

Deleted User

About 3 - 4 years ago, the first thing I softmodded was my PSP, I was just bored with the standard stuff you could do after a while so I searched the internet for what else you could do and then I came across Homebrews, CFW etc and since then I mod most of the devices I have when I see an advantage in it.
:yaypsp:

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Man, good times.

I began in 2008 when I got a Wii as a present for graduating Middle school.
I got the Wii with Mario Kart and I already had a decent collection of GameCube games too, so Mario Kart Online and GameCube entertained me for the following year.

In 2009 I found a video of someone hacking a Wii and it got my curiosity. Then I found a site called Scenebeta. And that's where I learned to hack my Wii.
But what I can't recall is what method I used to havk my Wii because I didn't used any Physical Game hack and as far as I can remember, Internet based hacks weren't a thing in 2009.

I still remember the anxiety I felt when I first saw the black screen while hacking. My first DSI ERROR! gave me a heart attack too.

After that, in 2010 bought me a TTDS Flashcart and I spent a whole day learning how to set it up (lol)

Then in 2011 got my 3DS and hacked it 2016 using a Nokia N79 to transfer files.

I do not own any other hackable console so I've stopped at the 3DS (broken top screen btw)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Am I the only one who exchanged a social life for being able to play free games on my wii?
Yes I even ditched many dates with many girls over a weekend of Mario Kart online.

Reactions: Deleted User

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The Max Media Player for the DS.. Didn't ever mess with the PassMe(?) However, CF cards were stupid expensive for a 15 year old with no job. Then I got my hands on the R4DS. Absolute game changer, even with its broken download play (updated later). Then we got our hands on PSP systems. The Pandoras battery (later jigkick iirc) was interesting... M33 fw is now nostalgic..

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Long before jailbreaking was ever a thing. Back in the olden days, when men were men and sheep were scared, we would swap floppy disks and cassettes around and make copies on a twin tape deck, or with 2 floppy drives - if you were lucky enough to do it that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr