When did Wii hacking become so complicated?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Highlyanimated, Aug 27, 2011.

Aug 27, 2011
  1. Highlyanimated
    OP

Newcomer Highlyanimated Newbie

United States
    Hello all. I have had two Wii's since launch and both were chipped shortly after modchips became available. One has a WiiKey the other a Cyclowiz. I lent the Wiikey version to a friend and kept the other for myself. I haven't touch my system since late 2009 and I have recently tried to play some backups. The issue is that everything seems to be hit or miss. If I am lucky enough to have a backup boot at some point there will be a disc error. Most older games play fine using the modchip.

Currently my main issue is my friend updated the system I lent him to 4.2U, I managed to put all the necessary CIOS files back on, HBC, and d2x files that should allow me to play games. However, games like 007, Mario Kart and some others I recently acquired don't boot at all and an older game, Zack and Wiki, that works via Cyclowiz boots then fails telling me to check my disc. My question is: what am I doing wrong? It doesn't make sense that a system that is both soft and hardware modded can't play backups. I would prefer not to go the USB loader route, I have a DVD-R, +R and RWs laying around and the fact that so far Neogamma disc loader seems to be pretty crappy and I wouldn't be surprised if the USB loader works similarly.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

2. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the softmod stuff shouldn't matter if you have a chip installed. at least as far as i understand it.

3. BloodWolfJW

Member BloodWolfJW Marotheit

United States
  4. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
  5. Highlyanimated
    OP

United States
    I installed two modchips myself and installed the HBC on a non-chipped system for my gf last year. That all requires reading. What I am looking for is something more along the lines of you guys shooting off suggestions for what could be hampering me booting backups. 007 gives me error (1328), other games give me check your manual. As far as I know i have the latest revisions of the recommended IOS and a chip. So whats missing? I doubt it is the media because I have been burning games on Memorex since the begging. Also the same media I used for my 360. Perhaps the issue is my burner or the Wii drives themselves since they have been sitting idle? Thank you for the replies.

6. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

7. Highlyanimated
    OP

United States
    I have Modmii, no clue what it is for when instructions are as follows: "Run ModMii on your PC, create a wad for the latest d2x cIOS with base IOS56("4"->"249d2x56")". So I just downloaded each wad and installed them individually. lol

8. Highlyanimated
    OP

United States
    I am using R8 as that is stable and had an easier installation for the backup channel .wad. That shouldn't be a problem thought. I am about to head to bed, if there's anything else I appreciate it as this issue is stumping me.

9. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I don't use modchips, but i have read that those. not sure what brands, also require updates. not sure if this means the system updates or the chip its self. MOP. get rid of the chips sell them online. go completely softmod. if your wii is close to launch date wii's an your disk drive can play burned. soft mod has come along way an most of the back up launchers (not usb launchers). can play burned disks.
    [​IMG]

10. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    I'll give you some advice:

The discs you want to use have expired.
    They are probably burned some time ago.

Get rid of the modchip. You are outdated.
    In order to play EVERY GAME THROUGH THE USE OF BACKUPS, YOU SHOULD DO A PROPER SOFTMOD.

The error you are getting are purely media/ modchip related.
    Invest in a HDD an get up to date.
    USB loading is faster, handier, cheaper, better, more stable. And VERY EASY TO SET UP.

Trust me once you go softmod ( with hdd ) you won't want to go back to crappy discs.
    The only reason for discs would be the Gamecube backups.
    Wich is practically at 100% with the use of NEOGAMMA R9.

Also use modmii on your pc and follow the instructions and tel modmii you want to rehack your Wii.
    This will get you up to date with the softmodding but also up to date with the official nintendo stuff.

Be smart.

11. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    Modmii is simple, it will download everything you need based how you answer the questions, and than it generate a noob friendly guide to help you install everything.
    When I was totally new to wii modding, modmii got me up and running in 10 minutes. I didn't have to search for anything

edit:
    ModMii doesn't create wads, it downloads the latest versions of the wads you need.

12. claudekennilol

Member claudekennilol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When mod chips were released. Now it's ridiculously easy when people compile everything in one easy to use place (like modmii).

13. Highlyanimated
    OP

United States
    OK so I have burned a few more games to test out. SMG1 and FIFA World Cup work both on the Wii disc channel and Neogamma, but Mario Strikers works only on Neogamma. Then there's 007 which fails all around and other games that work only through chip. Based on the suggestions to go softmod, I take it that no one on here uses a chip any more, and I feel like a foreigner to this whole scene now.

I intend to give this away to a 10yo cousin overseas and would like if discs booted in a concise way whether they were backups or not. The Cyclowiz can be disabled on boot, no need to remove it. Thanks for the help guys. I will just crawl back under my rock and keep using my chip. Thanks!

14. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    LOL!

AND YES IT"S THAT EASY!