Hacking When can we expect acekard 2i support for 3ds 4.2.0-9U?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
We don't know.

EDIT: Previous Acekard team actions suggest the team will wait to see if Nintendo will release a bigger update so they can be first then. One of the bigger reasons they do this is because there are only a limited number of header changes they can make until they just run out (which means no more updates).

You could ask them, maybe they'll tell you.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We don't know.

EDIT: Previous Acekard team actions suggest the team will wait to see if Nintendo will release a bigger update so they can be first then. One of the bigger reasons they do this is because there are only a limited number of header changes they can make until they just run out (which means no more updates).

So Acekard may die sooner than later?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
We don't know.

So Acekard may die sooner or later?
Eventually, but they could just release a new card. Though that's still a bit of ways away...

ZeroLimits

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I emailed the company one week ago asking when would they release the update, and their response was that the update is 100% done, but they had to make sure it was stable and safe.
But that was one week back.

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
We don't know.

So Acekard may die sooner than later?

Maybe you are right.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I believe it will be released just after 3DSXL release, they're waiting to confirm that AK2i firmware is compatible with the new console for sure.

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
Seems reasonable. Alas, nintendo can push an update as soon as the firmware releases...
I think the 3dsxl will have the same fw as the regular 3ds... otherewise they would have added the cpp to the xl.

yuuna

Hello, this is turtle.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
One of the bigger reasons they do this is because there are only a limited number of header changes they can make until they just run out (which means no more updates).

hi, can you give me a credible source that they only have a limited number of header changes? apparently i cannot find how these DS flashcart work on google. thanks.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
hi, can you give me a credible source that they only have a limited number of header changes? apparently i cannot find how these DS flashcart work on google. thanks.
I got it for 'em.
http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/

Flash carts that work on the DSi and 3DS do so by faking themselves as games, so to prevent this once the DSi was released Nintendo started including signatures in the DS game carts, of sorts. This wasn't done before, so in order to run games that were released before the DSi/3DS, Nintendo added a whitelist for those games consisting of data to be pulled from the carts and checked. Flash cart companies find some data that will match the checks and update their carts to present it when requested.

Nintendo's firmware updates that block carts change (or increase) the required data for each game they find flash carts mimicking while blacklisting the old data alone (but since they pull new/more info, original carts still work fine). Why doesn't Nintedo just request a whole lot of info from all carts? Limited storage and processing.

Anyways so there's a few limits.
1 - The only games used can be older DS games without the sigs, so there's a big limit already. The DS has been seeing games since 2004, but the DSi came out in 2008, so none of the games after some time in 2008 are possible candidates.
2 - Not all games can be faked within that range, by now a ton of the ones used have already been blacklisted or have way too much information requested to be compared on boot.
3 - Flash carts have limited storage space, internally. This is an issue with the old-hardware model (44) Ak2i, for example, but also cheap R4s would hit this issue and be unable to update. This means that even within the range of games that are possible, the required data for some of them might not fit on a specific flash cart model (partially why some flash carts seem to have no problem pulling out an update while others might take a while).

And that's just what I know. There's likely even more limiting factors, as I'm not familiar with the exact data required by the system or how it's produced (because if it was simply "a valid header" then flash carts wouldn't be blocked).

Reactions: 4 people

yuuna

Hello, this is turtle.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

thanks! very informative.

anyway, with all the information above, how long will acekard 2i survive until they cannot update any more? or how many more times can they release update?

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you very much Rydian, finally an informative post about this matter. :)

I read that article by blasty when it was first published, guess i will read it again.
At the end of said article he mentions the SHA sums of the games in the whitelist.
So i guess this whitelist was somehow dumped and is available to hackers/flashcard makers?

The DSi was released on 1.11.2008 in Japan, that makes (according to ludibria and GBAtemp Release List) 2862 potential bootloader exploitable dumps.
Would be interesting how many of them are whitelisted. ;)

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didnt realize how that worked myself either. I love my Acekard, though i guess i'll likely end up getting another card soon too.

Damn Nintendo and their constant useless security updates

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
The DSi was released on 1.11.2008 in Japan, that makes (according to ludibria and GBAtemp Release List) 2862 potential bootloader exploitable dumps.
Would be interesting how many of them are whitelisted. ;)

I guess you need to go back to when the DSi was being planned, rather than released, to find the amount of potential headers. I'd imagine Nintendo implemented the system pretty much as soon as they thought up the idea, not just once the device was actually out in the wild.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.