When are we going to see a brand new Nintendo handheld?

Shine Lamont

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's about to be seven years since the original 3DS has launched. Are we going to possibly see a whole new Nintendo handheld anytime within the next year? It's time to see the successor to the 3DS

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
dude..... Switch _IS_ the successor

trust me. Nintendo said the switch is a third pillar but its not. the Wii U proved this

also Pokemon proves this. Pokemon has always been handheld RPG for Nintendo... guess what the next Pokemon main game is on Switch

Last edited by Flame,

EPgrouch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt nintendo will be making another gen of handhelds you'll probably see a throwback or two but that's about it. personally I'd like to see a new handheld I always liked their handhelds even if the ds/3ds felt a little too gimmicky.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
dude..... Switch _IS_ the successor

trust me. Nintendo said the switch is a third pillar but its not. the Wii U proved this

also Pokemon proves this. Pokemon has always been handheld RPG for Nintendo... guess what the next Pokemon main game is on Switch
While the Switch is clearly a middleman successor. Your points are just... Meh...

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I though the 3DS had 2 more years of support. Half the price of the switch and still having strong exclusive titles for it, the only thing I wanted was a way to play the games on tv. Too bad is probably the only portable that won't have that since gameboy player on gamecube (and if you count wii u vc playing NDS games) :unsure:

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay... i also came here in the expectation of a request off a new handheld because it was ALMOST A FULL YEAR since the last one. But even without the switch... The 2ds xl is about 6 months old right now. Does it really need to break compatibility with the original 3ds to be counted as a 'new handheld'? :unsure:

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
that's a bit vague... im saying 2019 november 23 @ 11:00 GMT by Youtube video
Hey, i wasn't pulling this entirely out of my ass, you know.
The question was when Nintendo was going to release a new handheld. The Nintendo DS was released in 2004, the 3DS in 2011, it's about time for the next generation. However, 1: the Switch is filling the handheld niche and has been doing well so far; 2: the 3DS and its redesigns are still printing money, and 3: if they were working on something for this year they would have announced it already. So this year is out.
On the other hand 2019 is far enough for the 3DS sales to drop, and for them to release a new console, either a successor to the 3DS, or a "Switch Lite", or some third experimental thing.
So that's not an unreasonable assumption.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
We'll more than likely hear something this year if Nintendo has any inclination to give us a new dedicated Handheld. Something more in line with a 'Switch-mini' would be kind of cool. With a clamshell design that gives us something akin to the GPD Hardware or the first generation Shield.

Reactions: brickmii82

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Nintendo has always made a better version of their handheld over time. No exceptions. I'm 100% sure they will make a better Switch in a few years.

As for a completely different console, I'd say 5.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: