When/after which Movie/Series does the STAR WARS Story ends for you ?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then ESB came out and it basically made "Splinter" not happen.

How? Does ESB contradict Splinter at all? If you mean that ESB meant that Splinter didn't get made into a movie and it only happens if it's a movie, then that is quite presumptive that it would have been made into a movie & it's not really ESB's fault.

You're dangerously close to trolling then.

You have to sorta read between the lines.

So you don't need to write a compelling argument and when someone shows it's a poor argument you can jettison it, because it's not your real argument anyway?

Seems kinda lazy.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
How? Does ESB contradict Splinter at all? If you mean that ESB meant that Splinter didn't get made into a movie and it only happens if it's a movie, then that is quite presumptive that it would have been made into a movie & it's not really ESB's fault.
Not what I meant. The book was the official continuation of the Star Wars story. It was edited by George Lucas so it would fit what he had in mind for the movie sequel at that time. It was the original canonical Expanded Universe.
And yes, the events of ESB contradict the events of the book. How do you reconcile the fact Luke met, fought and defeated Darth Vader, chopping off his arm, with the story of ESB?
And teeechnically it's not "ESB's fault" that it ignores and contradicts "Splinter" and makes its events hugely, incredibly improbable at best, or rather flat out impossible, it is George Lucas' fault? Tomayto tomahto.

So you don't need to write a compelling argument and when someone shows it's a poor argument you can jettison it, because it's not your real argument anyway?
I think I made a pretty good case that ESB was a large enough shift in tone and story for some people at the time to reject it as a "true" continuation. I'm not sure I get your point.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not what I meant. The book was the official continuation of the Star Wars story. It was edited by George Lucas so it would fit what he had in mind for the movie sequel at that time.

It was commissioned as a possible continuation of the story, but that was already discounted by the time that it was published. It was the success of Star Wars that sealed it's fate, at the point you got to read it the book was already no different to any of the other expanded universe stories that the films have been free to ignore ever since. George lost all interest in it after Star Wars was released, so we can't know if there would have been any changes between the release of Star Wars and the release of the book had it been the basis for the next film.

We also don't know if there would have been changes from the book to the subsequent film as the novel of the 1977 film is different to the film.

How do you reconcile the fact Luke met, fought and defeated Darth Vader, chopping off his arm, with the story of ESB?

Splinter contradicts Star Wars in several places, so it's not a reliable story. Maybe it came to us told by spice pirates and some details were changed a long the way?

I think I made a pretty good case that ESB was a large enough shift in tone and story for some people at the time to reject it as a "true" continuation. I'm not sure I get your point.

I don't think you made that case at all, my recollection is that everyone loved ESB. If you're saying Last Jedi introducing plot devices that makes every previous film meaningless is equivalent to how ESB was darker than Star Wars, then I don't see that you've made that case or that there is a case that could be made.

Last Jedi is like (a fictional) Liam Neeson trying to do improvisational comedy

Rian Johnson's only defense seems to be that JJ Abrams messed up The Force Awakens first, so he didn't think anyone would mind his giant turd of a movie. He's got a point about JJ, but it would be like saying it's ok to kill someone because they were late returning a library book.

Last edited by smf,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Star Wars... I'm not such a big fan to ever consider that.

But... the original trilogy is all I care about.
I've seen the 90's-2000's trilogies and they sucks.

And I haven't seen the newer ones because I'm not that interested in StarWars.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1-6 anything after episode 6 is just cash grab content. The prequels get shitted on but were necessary to understand what really happened to Anakin and the end of the Jedi order.
My sincere opinion they should have focused more on the events of the Clone Wars instead of extending the story to 9. If you watch the old animation of clone wars then you know what I mean.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple