When 3DS backup support arrives, will we likely need new flash cards?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by solarnoise, Feb 15, 2013.

1. solarnoise
    OP

Newcomer solarnoise Member

United States
    Just got a 3DS and understand that backup ("ROM") support does not exist yet.

I'm on the fence about getting a DSTwo, I'd love to get some GBA emulation going and I like being able to store all my games on one card, I had a R4 for the DS.

In you guys' experience seeing DS consoles and flash cards come and go, will the flash card developers likely add backup support to their existing cards (via software update), or make brand new ones?

I imagine making new ones is a surefire way to get more money, which makes me hesitant to get any current cards, especially the expensive DSTwo.

2. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States

3. xylos

Member xylos GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How many threads asking this same question have their been already? Seriously..

4. solarnoise
    OP

United States
    No, this wasn't a question about "WHEN WILL BACKUP SUPPORT ARRIVE", come on man.

I was wondering in your guys' opinion do you think support will be added to existing cards? It's a discussion, share your thoughts.

For example, in the transition from the DS to the DS Lite, did they bring out a whole new line of cards or did they augment the existing ones?

5. kyle crider

Newcomer kyle crider Newbie

United States
  6. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    Its not possible for a DS flashcard to run in 3DS mode, so in the event of backups being able to run they would need to produce flashcards that run in 3DS mode, you could justify the purchase of a DSTwo knowing that it can still be used on a regular DS/DSi even after 3DS flashcards come out.

7. solarnoise
    OP

United States
    Ahh okay this makes sense. I guess I assumed that a "Slot 1" device could theoretically work on any version that had a similar slot... but it didn't occur to me that, obviously, the 3ds mode would be different and runs DS cards in a DS mode.

What it sounds like to me is, when the 3ds mode cards come out, everyone will need to keep two cards on hand: one for DS and one for 3DS.

8. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    Yeah, unless the exploit runs of the SD card itself, then there you wouldn't need to carry neither.

9. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    I think CFW (hacked firmware) is more likely than another 3DS flashcart.

noob killer likes this.
  10. solarnoise
    OP

United States
    Let's hope so! I like how PSP hacking works, so that would be cool. Plus using the "stock" firmware is much nicer than booting up a custom shell.