What's your vote for multimedia homebrew

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Hooya, Sep 16, 2010.

Sep 16, 2010
  1. Hooya
    OP

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Short story, I want to watch videos on my TV through my Wii. Files will be stored on a USB hard drive FAT32 partition. I usually run the HBC to look for programs on that same USB FAT32 drive partition.

What's your vote for my best option to watch videos on that? Must support multiple file formats like divx, xvid, mpeg, (maybe quicktime is a bonus)

Thanks for suggestions.

2. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    there's really nothing to vote for anymore WiiMC is just the best now.

3. w!!

Member w!! GBAtemp Regular

United States
    WiiMC may be better for USB stuff, but MplayerCE works better for DVD stuff... at least for me.... I like WiiMC's interface better.

4. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i tend toward MPlayerCE...playing divx files from a FAT32 drive, i've experienced WiiMC playing the video very choppy on one occasion; on multiple occasions, i've had the audio/video out of sync.....played these same files on MPlayer with no problem....

i will concur that WiiMC has a pretty interface though.....

5. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    WiiMC, but it crashes so much. They need to iron out the bugs instead of adding new features.

6. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    I love WiiMC's interface, but the latest versions have been plagued with issues that are now being looked over carefully before another update is released. If you want to use WiiMC, I'd suggest sticking with an earlier version like v1.0.7 for now.

If you play a lot of DVDs on your Wii then I'd recommend MPlayer_CE, it tends to be able to handle even the most demanding DVDs better than WiiMC. Though seriously, you won't get better performance that a dedicated DVD player, get one, they're cheap. Personally I didn't like the direction that MPlayer_CE took when it introduced "features" like the VU-Meter Drive Light. I still think v0.76 was the best version, but I have yet to try out the latest SVN release, 592.

-[]D

7. Hooya
    OP

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    OK, so I am trying out WiiMC. Pretty good so far. Streaming music from my PC like a champ although I don't like the way it handles playing playlists. Just inconsistent (it randomly stopped playing a playlist I made and when I manually forwarded it was shuffling the files even though it was not in that mode).

It's got problems streaming large video files from samba shares, yes? I'm not having good luck with that so far. Guess those will have to get dropped onto the hard drive first. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a real DVD player that's going DVI into my TV and digital audio into my stereo system, so there's no reason for me to be using my Wii for DVDs. Mostly I want to watch downloaded TV episodes on my TV without having to build a media center PC just for that purpose. I just have to be careful not to download high-def videos 'cause apparently they won't play.

8. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    yeah it wont play HD at all i've never had a problem with and standard downloaded tv episode of anything on it though.