Hardware What's your TV/AV setup for your homebrewed Wii?

xLAKITUx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I ordered the 2020 Hisense H8G (50") for the living room where my wife and I have our Switch and the Homebrewed Wii. It's an upgrade to an old Sharp LCD from like 2014.

However, I'm about to cancel it because it lacks component inputs... Am I insane? I just have a decent setup, and I don't wanna have to worry about futzing around with Wii2HDMI converters w/ various results

Curious about what some other regulars on here have as far as setups go? Particular curious about the notable WiiFlow users/developers @fledge68 @RunningSnakes @Tetsuo Shima @SuperrSonic - I've spent entirely too much refining my WiiFlow set up, upgrading HDD/SD to ruin it with a crappy TV/AV setup.

Last edited by xLAKITUx,
Reactions: MarknuB

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 28" lg tv with component inputs, but my wii goes to my receiver first, then back down to the framemeister using a converter cable, then into a box to split hdmi and optical while also retaining hdmi audio to the tv and optical back to the receiver. I actually have two inputs to the receiver for wii audio with one being from the converter box for all components. I can make the image 16x9 with the framemeister too. funny thing is that the framemeister cost more than the tv, but I figured I could just use it on a new tv whenever I upgrade. most new tvs don't have anything but hdmi and also don't display 240p, so anything psx and back won't display video without the framemeister or other upscaler. here's an image of the tv with 16x9:

20200608_002601_HDR.jpg

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'd say if the Wii is so important to your setup, Then absolutely try and get something with component imputs. I can recommend Samsung TVs, they are excelent for gaming - they have low input lag and most will have component. Converters are indeed hit and miss, the best one for 480p is the framemeister as mentioned above but that'll run you a pretty penny which could just go torwards getting a better TV.

And no, you're not insane for wanting a product that will satisfy all of your needs :P

Last edited by Sizednochi,
Reactions: xLAKITUx

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
solaris of Japan is out of framemeisters. they ran out last year I believe, so instead of $333 or so, we're talking $800 for a framemeister on ebay. I mostly got mine for playstation 1 games. I get a black screen otherwise due to 240p being obsolete now.

xLAKITUx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I officially cancelled my order from Amazon. Thanks for everyone's input.
I know I'm not shelling out the megabucks for a Framemeister anytime soon, but I may have to brainstorm a budget-friendly way for my Wii which serves primarily as my emulation station.

Hakaisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@xLAKITUx , I use the Sewell Wii HDMI adapter. Its quality is just as good, if not better than using component cables. I determined it was the best one to use for my needs, after testing out several different Wii2HDMI adapters of varying quality and reliability.

The Sewell HDMI adapter doesn't upscale the resolution of the image, but simply converts the 480p signal to HDMI and lets your TV do the upscaling, similar to how component cables work with the Wii.

I have a Framemeister, but I do not like using it with the Wii. At all.

The Framemeister is great for 240p stuff like NES/SNES/GENESIS/my VCR, but for the Wii it takes too much time readjusting itself between resolution changes (gamecube games specifically, that switch to 480i at boot up, then ask you to switch to 480p) and sometimes doesn't factor in the overscan (it shows the entire picture and adds 2 small, vertical black bars on either side of the image while using WiiFlow).

I am curious if @godreborn also has had these issues with the Framemeister, and if so, how they are remedied.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wii2HDMI.
And I have one of those cheap component to HDMI converters. Works great.
I also have a cheap RCA to HDMI converter. Works great.

At the moment, though, Wii2HDMI is being used.

MarknuB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, i was going to open a new thread but i saw this one and figured i could ask here since it's a similar question.

I currently use a Wii2HDMI since my TV lacks Component inputs and it works good enough, but i'm going to buy an OSSC soon and i was wondering if i was able to use an SCART cable to connect to the OSSC, since my Wii is NTSC.

I heard i could use a homebrew called Any Region Changer to set the video to PAL and it would output SCART normally but i couldn't find any confirmation.

I want to use SCART instead of Component because it carries sound and video through a single cable and i wouldn't need a separate dongle to convert the two audio cables to connect to OSSC's audio in jack.

ramar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So I ordered the 2020 Hisense H8G (50") for the living room where my wife and I have our Switch and the Homebrewed Wii. It's an upgrade to an old Sharp LCD from like 2014.

However, I'm about to cancel it because it lacks component inputs... Am I insane? I just have a decent setup, and I don't wanna have to worry about futzing around with Wii2HDMI converters w/ various results

Curious about what some other regulars on here have as far as setups go? Particular curious about the notable WiiFlow users/developers @fledge68 @RunningSnakes @Tetsuo Shima @SuperrSonic - I've spent entirely too much refining my WiiFlow set up, upgrading HDD/SD to ruin it with a crappy TV/AV setup.

I bought a 55" Hisense H9F when the quarantine was just starting to have something to entertain myself with, and only focused on the newer specs for PS4 Pro / Xbox One X gameplay, but I just noticed it also lacks component inputs...

I'm quite satisfied with it other than that, so anyone looking into buying a new 4K set should consider these high-end Hisense TVs as a great alternative to the more expensive LG or Samsung counterparts.

And I guess I'll start researching if any of the methods mentioned here are better than just setting up my old Wii U for homebrew (before they stop selling games on the eShop, unless there is a new free method I don't know about)

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sony Trinitron 29KV with Composite cables.

Like, I used to have Component cables but they never worked.

Nowadays I've bought an AV2VGA converter because I'm curious to play Wii on a LANIX 17LX monitor and an old Samsung LCD Flat Monitor.

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@ramar Wii games on Wii U dont look as good as you can expect, this if from shmups forum:

Wii U Wii Mode is a disaster.

1. 16 pixels is cut on each sides, in destination space. This result in 480p having the most overscan and 1080p the least. There is no 1:1 mapping.
  2. There's a disagreement between left and center chroma sampling location. This result in a slight chroma shift.
  3. There's no conversion between Rec. 601 and Rec. 709 Y'CbCr. This can result in wrong colors in HD and on the Wii U GamePad. This is further exacerbated by the smaller color gamut on the Wii U GamePad.

MarknuB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@MarknuB The loaders have an option to force video output to PAL or NTSC, that doesn't work in your setup?

I tried changing some games to PAL and play them with the wii2hdmi while the ossc doesn't arrives, and some games work, others only show a black screen. I'm gonna stick to component cables once it arrives though.

Reactions: Draxikor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Heard @Psionic Roshambo needs a roommate