Hardware whats your take on the e3 conference?

RichardLaughter

OP
Trophies
XP
well, im sure a lot of people have just got done watching the press conference and i'd like to know your thoughts and opinions on the conference. disapointed? thrilled? explain :)

i enjoyed the 3rd party reveals, with the exception of the dancing and the singing games, but i was slightly disapointed by the lack of 3ds games shown and the amount of mario games shown, and also by the lack of gameplay with the pro controller. the ending could have been a little more thrilling as well. honestly, i was hopeing for more from third party. maybe a zelda teaser for 3ds, or perhaps a metroid teaser for wiiu.

donelwero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
I was dissapointed overall until I saw Nintendo's conference. I don't know why people is whining about Wii U. I'm really hyped about it... I want to play that ZombiU game !!!

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just going to quote myself for the other thread

Sadly, Nintendo's was just a little better than Microsoft's or Sony's.
It had a little of what made the others bad, (dragged on too long, shovelware, ect.), but they did show video games, not all of them were good. Still that doesn't change the fact that they showed them. Neither Microsoft nor Sony showed that many games, nor really did anything interesting.

EDIT: Also Nintendo didn't have to resort to swearing to make their games seem "mature," which honestly I like. Swearing doesn't make your games any better or mature, it just means you swore in a video game.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
This year's E3 was so disappointing. Only good points:

Konami: Metal Gear Rising.

Microsoft: Halo 4, Order of the Stick. Splinter Cell looked so overly scripted, prerecorded footage and if it's really so easy to kill everyone so fast on dual analogue then it must aim for you completely, i.e. extremely boring.

Ubisoft: Far Cry 3 looks like it could be decent but I'm deterred by FC2. Zombi U looked mildly interesting. Watch Dogs looked like it could potentially be awesome if it's not overly scripted.

EA: Didn't watch. That's the best bit.

Sony: Smash Bros rip off. That game with the annoying girl looks half decent I guess but meh.

Nintendo: Lego City looked good. Not really into Pikmin/2D Mario games so this might be the first Nintendo console I don't pick up at launch since the N64. Really disappointing.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
This is in the Wii U section. He's not asking for your thoughts on Sony or Microsoft.

I enjoyed Nintendo's conference. Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. U, Zombi U, and hell, even Nintendo Land looked good. I wasn't expecting Reggie to bust out naked with Miyamoto drenching him in baby oil while Iwata announces a new Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Pokemon MMO, 50 new IPs, and another new console on top of the Wii U.

And in case your rage has clouded your eyes, there's a software showcase tomorrow where they're going to be showing other games they didn't today.

People act like because Nintendo didn't give them everything they wanted, they fucked them over so badly.

Reactions: 2 people

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought the conference was great. People these days are too fucking spoiled and want everything, and if they don't get what they want right away, they bitch.

Seriously, Nintendo's conference was all about games, which is amazing. They didn't talk sales of lifespans of systems, just games. And the games looked great (aside from Scribblenauts and the 2D mario game which looks like shit).

Reactions: 1 person

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don`t know... All the conference didn`t really have that one "Holy Cow!" moment that you expect... Maybe Miiverse in the Pre-E3-ND but other then that everything was interesting but to be expected, which is dissapointing!

I have to say the two games I want to see much more from (other then more of the WiiU hardware) is The Last of Us and ZombiU.

Also I thought Sony were the only ones with an appealing stage. All the others were kinda blant...

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
People act like because Nintendo didn't give them everything they wanted, they fucked them over so badly.

Anything I wanted. They didn't give ANYTHING I wanted.

Super Mario Bros 5000. NSMB Wii I completed in like 4 hours because you can warp from zone 1 to like 6 and then to 8 without even trying. And as well, by focusing on multiplayer they make it a really terrible single player experience.

Last year's E3 made the Wii U look EPIC. I was so psyched. Now what we see:

Last year's stuff again. Trying to hype Arkham City and ME3 like they've not already been out for ages.

The Miiverse looks really stupid. Like.. they're using it for advertisement. "Not only games you have but games that are trending". I want to see the game that I have in the DISC TRAY.

If they have an achievement system or anything, instead of going "this is the controller" again they should've said "We have an achievement system based on points". If they don't have one then what the hell are they doing? What an epic failure.

They show HD Zelda footage last year, so for a year I think Wii U is going to launch with Zelda (And I know, Skyward Sword was just out, but Nintendo is a big company and SS had a different style and feel from TP. I thought they'd put a team together to make sure that their NEW CONSOLE has some good first party games).

Stuff that Ubisoft already showed the other day. Rayman looks gash, it's just like "Oh yeah so you just hold right while the person with the wii u controller hits the orbs to make you fly and kills all the onscreen enemies for you". Zombi U looks good, but zombies are just such a generic category of game. At least they shook up the genre a little.

Lego City - So cash. It looks beautiful. But it's third party! Why was a third party the best thing at Nintendo's show?

Scribblenauts Universe - I was hyping Scribblenauts so much when it came out and then there was NO GAMEPLAY. It has a great idea but it's so badly made. You should have missions in dungeons and you use your words to get through. Instead it's like "clean up the park" and you just write "nuke". Such a disappointing game.

Tank Tank Tank - Like.. what is this? Come on. You're showing this on the main stage? You really have no other games?

SiNG and Wii Fit Plus - COME ON.

Pikmin 3 - The original Pikmin was so frustrating. You play the whole game and then day 30 "OH LOL YOU LOSE BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T COLLECT EVERYTHING. TRY AGAIN FROM THE START". And the franchise looks like it's barely changed in 10 years. New control scheme, a few new Pikmin, a new camera angle otherwise it's pretty much identical to the Gamecube version, and it's not original anymore, which was the only appeal to Pikmin. It's not a great game.

On the 3DS front - I was so excited about Paper Mario. HOW COULD THEY GET IT SO WRONG? Oh, I enter a battle. I want to attack. PITY I DIDN'T PEEL STICKERS OFF OF THE FLOOR BECAUSE NOW I CAN'T ATTACK. That's such a crap idea for an RPG! How could they ruin such a good series in one fell swoop?

Luigi's Mansion - Looks awesome, no complaints. But this was already announced last year.

The theme park thing - Just a bunch of gimmicks. That Luigi's mansion bit of it looked like a minigame from Mario Party. A minigame amongst hundreds of minigames. Not 15.

Why didn't they announce P-100 on stage?

Announced specs like "HD ATI graphics" - Holy shit, really? No shit. "Multi core processor". That could mean TWO. You've essentially told us that your console still uses a CPU and GPU, just like every console does.

The controller looks fantastic but why was it shown so BADLY? This launch could've been great. Where was Metroid or Star Fox or even like.. Animal Crossing? At 3DS's E3 last year they showed us games that still aren't even out. Why not show us the future of Wii U? Smash Bros? And on the 3DS front, where was Layton vs Ace Attorney? This whole thing was just such a failure. I was so hyped for the whole thing and it's just crashed down. Really poor effort.

Oh and Reggie was just cringe today. That girl from Arkham City or whatever speaks to him and him and the Warner Bros guy have the most awkward exchange in the world.

This conference plain sucked on all fronts, they didn't release any new information that was exciting that we haven't known since Iwata's little thing the other day on the site, or last year's E3. Why did they even do that conference thing if they already showed everything in it on the main stage? If they'd shown the video stuff from that on the main stage that would've been interesting. Noone wants to see your fitness and singing and dancing games. When the only new good announcement in the whole thing is a third party Lego game, you've failed.

Kikirini

Zelda Fangirl
Trophies
Website
kuroshouri.com
XP
Country
United States
I very much enjoyed it! I do wish they had hinted at a Zelda game, but they did just release one like, 6 months ago... I suspected they wouldn't even be mentioning that franchise at this E3. Ah well, there's always next year. Still going to buy a Wii U as soon as it comes out.

mjh2260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario Bros 5000. NSMB Wii I completed in like 4 hours because you can warp from zone 1 to like 6 and then to 8 without even trying.

Wait, are you complaining that NSMB is too short because you chose to skip 3/4 of it?

This is like the people that complain about the motion controls being unrealistic and gimicky because you can trick them with small twitches rather than moving them the way you are supposed to. No one made you do it wrong.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Super Mario Bros 5000. NSMB Wii I completed in like 4 hours because you can warp from zone 1 to like 6 and then to 8 without even trying.

Wait, are you complaining that NSMB is too short because you chose to skip 3/4 of it?

This is like the people that complain about the motion controls being unrealistic and gimicky because you can trick them with small twitches rather than moving them the way you are supposed to. No one made you do it wrong.

But I didn't do it wrong. I did it right. If I find a secret warp zone I'm not gonna go, "You know what? I'm going to take the honourable route and play through 6 stages"; I'm gonna take the warp zone. If you discover GPS shortcuts on free roam city games you don't go "Ehh.. well that's just going to speed up my game progress, I'd better play it right and drive on the roads. And stop at the traffic lights."

It shouldn't be possible for me to finish the game so quickly with so little effort. You can literally see on the map where a warp zone is going to be and then Mario is so predictable that you know where it is.

And I'm glad I skipped so much of the game, 2D Mario games are tired as anything. It's barely fundamentally changed since the SNES and it refuses to evolve in a fun way or die off. 3D Marios I still find awesome but I just have no love for these anymore. Hell, Sonic was always better anyway.

DonnyKD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Liked it, went full out crazy on the Pikmin and Scribblenauts announcements.

Alexrose said:

GASP! The game was short because you... SKIPPED IT?!

And using the same method I can beat the game in 30 minutes, you're just bad.

Alexrose said:
The original Pikmin was so frustrating. You play the whole game and then day 30 "OH LOL YOU LOSE BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T COLLECT EVERYTHING. TRY AGAIN FROM THE START".

Except it's nothing like that unless you don't know what the heck you're doing.

Alexrose said:
If they have an achievement system or anything, instead of going "this is the controller" again they should've said "We have an achievement system based on points". If they don't have one then what the hell are they doing?

Because worthless messages are much more important than different playstyles.

Alexrose said:
The Miiverse looks really stupid. Like.. they're using it for advertisement. "Not only games you have but games that are trending". I want to see the game that I have in the DISC TRAY.

I think your game comes in the BOX first.

Reactions: 1 person

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Alexrose said:

GASP! The game was short because you... SKIPPED IT?!

As I said; it shouldn't be so simple that someone who isn't even trying can skip it so fast.

And using the same method I can beat the game in 30 minutes, you're just bad.

Great. I'm talking about my first playthrough, I wasn't sitting with a wiki on how to beat the game fastest and where warp zones are after my 10th run in order to get my fastest time, I was casually playing it with my brother and we just happened to get to the end of the game in a pitifully small time for a premier title.

By the way, you're talking to someone who's 100%ed Super Meat Boy (GT Alexrose123) so I really don't feel threatened by your supposed ability at platformers.

Alexrose said:
The original Pikmin was so frustrating. You play the whole game and then day 30 "OH LOL YOU LOSE BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T COLLECT EVERYTHING. TRY AGAIN FROM THE START".

Except it's nothing like that unless you don't know what the heck you're doing.

Pikmin came out 11 years ago. I was a 10 year old with a 56k modem in a house where as siblings we frowned on each other if we used walkthroughs. How is a 10 year old kid supposed to know when he boots up a seemingly pleasant Nintendo game that he's actually supposed to be rushing against the clock to find specific ship parts and if he doesn't manage it within the time limit he has to play the WHOLE GAME again from scratch? That isn't a fun game mechanic.

Alexrose said:
If they have an achievement system or anything, instead of going "this is the controller" again they should've said "We have an achievement system based on points". If they don't have one then what the hell are they doing?

Because worthless messages are much more important than different playstyles.

.. They made a massive clip where they were just going "And this is a headphone jack. And this is a trigger button". Yeah, we realise; we've known almost all of that information for a year and all of it since the analogue stick info got released. Why do we need to see a video on that again? Again, they haven't mentioned achievements at all. If they have them and neglected to mention them in the time that they spent showing fitness videos and some terrible singing game. All they needed to literally say was one sentence, "We have a new achievement system which rewards you based on your score". They couldn't fit that into the whole conference? And if they haven't got an achievement system at all then they've made a tremendous mistake, because it's an industry standard now. Even Desura has achievements. Even sites with just shitty flash games have achievements.

And I get it, "You don't need achievements". Yes, I've bought every Nintendo console at launch since the N64, I'm quite aware you don't need achievements to play games, but that's no reason to omit them. You don't need a touchscreen to play games either but we're hoping it'll improve the experience. Millions of people love achievements and if you don't that doesn't mean that feature shouldn't be included.

Alexrose said:

I think your game comes in the BOX first.

Really? No fucking shit. Maybe the NFC can sense what game box I have on my table and show me an actual relevant game on my homescreen then, rather than games I don't have because I'm chosen not to purchase them. I don't understand why you made this last comment, and your whole post was like "lol im guna pwn this guy with one liners lol owend destroyed lol", when you didn't actually manage to make any proper points and just tried to defame me because you don't like that I didn't like the press conference and I voiced my valid complaints on a public forum. We're all Nintendo fans here, and I was happy to blindly follow them for years and defend the Wii as a great first party console with a control scheme much superior to dual analogue, but they've just let us all down this E3 with poor first parties and poor demonstration of how their new controller is going to make a difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: