What's your opinion on the wiiu gamepad?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Taleweaver, Jan 23, 2014.

?

What's your opinion on the wiiu gamepad?

1. I've played it and it's incredible!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. I've played it and it's okay

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. I've played it and it's not all that it's hyped up to be

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. I've played it and it's terrible

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. I've not played it but it looks mighty interesting!

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. I've not played it and I like the innovation, but I'm not that sold

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. I've not played it and I'm not in a hurry to try it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I've not played it because it looks terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other, namely... (please explain in post)

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Taleweaver
    OP

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Nintendo's console isn't doing so well. At all. Reasons and opinions go from the processing power over lack of games to marketing to the controller (ongoing discussion).

Since it's been a year since release and the hype (for as far as there was any) is settled down, I'm kind of curious as to what people think of that large gamepad nowadays. Both from people who have some hours of gaming with the thing under their belt as the others who didn't get one and barely/not played it at all.

So...for the wiiu owners: do you think nintendo should force efforts and offer double screen functionality, or are you okay if the pro controller takes priority in games? How do you feel that a second screen controller for a wiiu seems to have silently fallen off the radar? How do you like the features it brings so far?

For the others...a hack is currently being worked on to stream input and output to and from the gamepad (though it's still very alpha stage). Is that a positive thing to you or is it something you don't care about? Did nintendo (in your opinion) made a large mistake with it and should they have made a classic controller default? (eg the controller pro)

And so on. I'll keep my own opinion below, as to not go overly biased in this post. :)

2. Taleweaver
    OP

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    So...I liked the idea of double screens from the start, and I'm still loving it. The uses in zombiu and nintendoland were great, and just being able to play AC3 and watch the map at pretty much the same time was cool (too bad the game itself was kind of meh).
    And while it certainly isn't a selling point, the fact that I can use it as a remote on my TV is a neat little extra. I literally have no further use of the TV remote anymore (that thing is usually hiding somewhere in one of the drawers anyway).
    Though I live alone and have the TV for myself, that TV off mode isn't so bad. There are times I just want to play lying in the cough watching the other screen. Again: not a selling point. But I like it nonetheless.

I hear all these complaints about battery life, which I can understand. They don't apply to me, though. My gaming sessions rarely take much more than an hour and I charge the thing the whole time while not using it.

In fact, my only complaint is that most games only use it marginally or as an afterthought. On wii fit u, you can use the camera to watch yourself. Not bad, but it seems to take more time setting up the thing correctly than actually doing the workout.

All in all: I'm glad nintendo went this way. And it's IMO not just "better than the wiimote", but a great controller all around. Though I can think that parents are kind of scared of letting their child alone with a relatively expensive and hard to replace controller...

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I really don't like the controller, if you couldn't tell. I don't care for the touch pad at all, and the whole remote play thing (whenever games bother to use it) is useless for me. The controller itself is needlessly large, and doesn't really contour to my grip the way a comfortable controller should. Plus, I don't know, it feels very "plasticky" to me. Something this expensive shouldn't feel so cheap.

I think the best word for it is "inelegant." Yeah, there you go. It's an inelegant solution to something that didn't need to be fixed in the first place.

I mean, it's a step up from the Wiimote, I guess, but that's like saying Montezuma's Revenge is a step up from dysentery. At the end of the day, you're still stuck with shit.

4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    The large mistake Nintendo did was not develop a game that would showcase the Gamepad's potential the way Wii Sports showed off what could be done with the Wiimote/Nunchuck (and not any other controller). They left the whole "figuring out what to do with the bloody thing" to 3rd party developers instead of leading by example. ZombÜ tried, to little success, and Rayman Legends is said to be the only Wii U game that made the gamepad seem like a good addition, but for the most part the developers just shrugged and ported their multiplats to the console with any second-screen functionality tacked on like an afterthought.

There's nothing wrong with the Gamepad per se. The rest of the console, on the other hand... whooo boy :rolleyes:

5. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    The Wii U gamepad was an interesting concept but there are no killer applications for it that demand you buy a wii u. Its mostly just a glorified inventory/second screen for the most part. I would have expected Nintendo themselves to have brought out a few games with unique applications of the screen by now to show its potential. The old Nintendo I actually liked would have done that, but the Nintendo of today are happy enough churning out lazy, indie studio level rehashes with minor gimmicks to justify their existence.

Anyway yeah, the gamepad as it is is a pretty useless addition that just bloats the price of the Wii U for no reason. Nintendo should have taken a page out of Sonys book and just included 3DS connectivity instead, it could have been easily achieved, served the exact same function, and reduced the price of the Wii U substantially. A Wii U with a different name to distinguish it from the original wii, with no pointless premium and basic models and at $100 cheaper without the pad would have probably been a hit.

6. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Remote play has always been a cool feature to me, which I would say is my favorite aspect of my Wii U. I would hit sync my game to the gamepad and then turn on the Tv so I could watch a show and play Mario or something.
    Neat feature, but that doesn't mean playing with the gamepad is actually a comfortable experience.
    It's not horrifying don't get me wrong, but it is a little awkward at times.

All in all my only complaint is the fact that that's basically all the tablet is good for. Remote playing games and simple touch commands. What the hell else is it good for? Second Screen mapping.... And I can't even think of another use.
    Which would explain my complete loss of interest in the console and why I haven't played the stupid thing in MONTHS. (NOGAEMS)

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  7. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It's pretty nice but there is one problem I have with it. It's a bit too heavy. If you're just using it as a controller it's fine, but if you play a game that requires you to hold it on front of you and tilt it (like Donky Kong's Crash Course) you're going to get sore arms really fast.

8. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Sep 3, 2007
    Even though nintendo market the remote play, Sony was able to do it much better. You can be anywhere with a good internet connection and play on your PS4 with your PS vita.

Nintendo should have done something similar with the Wii U and 3DS.