OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.joystiq.c...necessary-to-c/

"Sony's Senior VP of its Worldwide Studios organization, Scott Rohde, tells Gamasutra that long software droughts, as experienced by the PSP, won't be the case with Vita.

"This time around, we started planning for development of [Vita] about three years ago, in terms of developing for the software, and how we were going to be able to transition," Rohde says. "I think that there were too many droughts of killer titles [for PSP]. There were too many long droughts, and I think we recognized that. And we've put a serious investment into our long-term PS Vita plans, so there's a lot of stuff in the works."

Of course, lack of software wasn't the only reason the PSP didn't see the success here it did in Japan -- piracy and the ineffective measures to protect the UMD format from it played a large part. Rohde says it was one of the first concerns, and one that he thinks Sony has addressed. "We needed to have something that would combat piracy from day one, and that's why the cards that you can purchase for the games are in their own proprietary format. And these days, so many people say the word 'proprietary' is a bad word, but it's something that we felt was completely necessary to make sure that people could not pirate these games. I mean, it's a custom security solution on each one of these cartridges. That is something that we are confident will protect us from piracy for the long term.""

So, what's your opinion on this hackers?

Un4tural

Trophies
XP
Country
I am no hacker, but the vita cards are a total rip off. Sell them for a decent price not an utter rip off. class 10 16gb SD cards are 30$ (branded decent ones) and i am sure you could find them even cheaper, much cheaper... 8gb card for vita is almost 30£ here, that is pretty mmuch 3x more than an SD card. There is no reason for them to be so expensive... it is just a rip-off.

also, what he is saying is if card's encryption gets cracked, they're well F***ed. I am sure there more security on it than that, but all this security nonsense is just a piling piece of crap. Content manager is rubbish, plus can track pretty much anything in/out of vita if it wanted to. Memory cards overpriced and not really much quicker... Games on Sony story are madly over priced, retail ones are cheaper, even though sony bragged since day 1 that digital purchases would be CHEAPER than the bloody physical copies of the games...

I like the vita, and i want it to make it, but Sony made some seriously crappy decisions...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I'm wondering how long until you get a microSD to PSV proprietary adaptor. Then I can repeat what I've done for my PSP - stick in a pair of 32GB microSD cards in it for an instant 64GB card at roughly the same price as the 16GB proprietary card.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am no hacker, but the vita cards are a total rip off. Sell them for a decent price not an utter rip off. class 10 16gb SD cards are 30$ (branded decent ones) and i am sure you could find them even cheaper, much cheaper... 8gb card for vita is almost 30£ here, that is pretty mmuch 3x more than an SD card. There is no reason for them to be so expensive... it is just a rip-off.

also, what he is saying is if card's encryption gets cracked, they're well F***ed. I am sure there more security on it than that, but all this security nonsense is just a piling piece of crap. Content manager is rubbish, plus can track pretty much anything in/out of vita if it wanted to. Memory cards overpriced and not really much quicker... Games on Sony story are madly over priced, retail ones are cheaper, even though sony bragged since day 1 that digital purchases would be CHEAPER than the bloody physical copies of the games...

I like the vita, and i want it to make it, but Sony made some seriously crappy decisions...
What...

First of all, it's talking about the game cards, not the memory cards, see my reply to Originality.

If the cards encryption gets cracked all that happens is hackers will have access to the raw data of each game, but they'll still need to find an exploit that allows them to play back the raw data from the memory card. Not to mention they'll need find a way to transfer that data onto the memory card since the only way to transfer data to it is through the Content Manager Assistant.

The Content Manager Assistant requires a connection, but the official word from Sony is that it's only there to make sure your Vita's on the latest firmware (in fact it won't let you transfer files until you're online and you're confirmed to be on the latest firmware). While I'm personally suspicious that they also require an internet connection to monitor file transfers, there's no evidence of that being true.
Edit: This can be bypassed by patching the CMA with OpenCMA.

I don't know about Europe, but they kept their promise for cheaper games through the PS Store for the US (10% off).

I'm wondering how long until you get a microSD to PSV proprietary adaptor. Then I can repeat what I've done for my PSP - stick in a pair of 32GB microSD cards in it for an instant 64GB card at roughly the same price as the 16GB proprietary card.
It's talking about the games cards, not the memory cards. It's commenting on how people could easily rip the ISO off of the UMDs for the PSP, which is a necessary step for piracy.

Content manager is rubbish
... how?

i love being able to do everything on my Vita, I don't have to mess about on the PC then.
You must be joking. You have to specify the directories with your different types of media on your PC, then on the Vita you have to scroll through one alphabetical list (no folders) of all of that content and check the specific ones you want (or check all of them).

That process is complete crap, if I want to just transfer over one album from my PC to the Vita I have to specify my one folder with that album on the PC before I hook up my Vita or I have to scroll through a gigantic alphabetical list of all of my individual songs and check the songs on that album as I get to them. Consider the hypothetical that I want to move over 4 specific albums over to my Vita, I'd have to either move all of the songs from those albums into one folder and point to that from the Content Manager Assisant on my PC or I'd have to go through 4 sessions of pointing to one album, transferring, disconnecting.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
That process is complete crap, if I want to just transfer over one album from my PC to the Vita I have to specify my one folder with that album on the PC before I hook up my Vita or I have to scroll through a gigantic alphabetical list of all of my individual songs and check the songs on that album as I get to them. Consider the hypothetical that I want to move over 4 specific albums over to my Vita, I'd have to either move all of the songs from those albums into one folder and point to that from the Content Manager Assisant on my PC or I'd have to go through 4 sessions of pointing to one album, transferring, disconnecting.
what are you on about
LzMle.jpg

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what are you on about
-snip-
I take that back, I went through the Content Manager app on the Vita and it took me directly to the songs list, with the only option being to select from that list or canceling. I didn't see a way to browse through artists or albums instead. However, when you just browse through the music on your PC (from the Vita) you can select to copy from the ... bubble in the bottom right and select whatever's in that category.

Un4tural

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol sorry my bad. Flash cards are a nice format, though i wonder how long until (if) we get flash cards like on 3ds and DS. Though again, speed is unimpressive... theres more loading than i'd like there to be. Also, yeah flash cards with 2x micro SD cards would rock.

In UK ps store is supposed to be 10% cheaper or something, but mostly you get all the games for far less with deals and promos. ALSO and i cannot stress this enough, games like asphalt and that dungeons crawler are nothing but rubbish ports/rip offs off ipad/iphone/android games... and that dungeon one is far better on ipad, though graphics not as nice... and asphalt is just a rip off off ridge racer, which is a crap game on vita to be honest... Asphalt was nice on a phone for few bucks sort of to waste time, but on a Vita, seriously...? and for 20£... and just look at ps store, minis are pretty much the only games that are sort of OK priced, though still for such crappy games it should be less... same with SD movie rentals, you can grab a DVD for 2£ on ps store its 12£... it is just silly...

sorry for the off topic, but sony should just make a deal with steam for a % of profits or something and let them take care of it cause sony don't seem to know what they're doing one bit.

And content manager... i do like openCMA, cause i wouldn't feel safe letting sony know my shirt size, not to mention risking there being a slight chance they might actually track what i am copying over, statistics or w/e. I do like vita, i do not like SONY one bit...

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how tax laws work in the UK, but the majority of US individuals besides getting the 10% off, also get an additional discount with not having to pay any out of state taxes (not sure which state exactly Sony is collecting for, but it's definitely not Florida, so it's more of a 17% discount, possibily higher depending on the state)

That said, I can foresee retail copies being better priced 6 months after a game is out... Sony doesn't seem to like lowering the price of digital titles except for PSN+ discounts, so when retailers are starting to put old games on sale to get rid of back stock they'll almost certainly beat out that price. And of course, retailers like Gamestop will certainly get preorder bonuses/etc that you won't get with digital copies. Still, I'd say that's not to bad of a trade off. I'm willing (in most instances) to pay 15%+ off the cost of a day one release even if it means losing some meaningless preorder bonus... and if a game isn't worthy of being a day 1 buy, I'm willing to wait for the retail copies to drop off.

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't forget the part of having to buy bigger memory cards for every fer games you get so in the long run it is cheaper to just get the games retail aside from getting a new game and a memory card at the same time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk