What's your Intellectual Coefficient?

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I did mine I had a little written stuff, but most of it was solving puzzles. “Make this shape with these pieces”, “Which of these phrases do not belong”, “which of these numbers are not sequential”, “Use 3 lines to make a hexagon”, flash card shit, memorization shit.... it was like 25 years ago so it’s hard to remember it all, but it was done at UNLV and a psychiatrist office in 4 hour increments over a 3 day period. I got a 136 iirc.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've done a few tests, both online and official written ones. Some of them are experimental but made by well regarded test makers (they're experimental since it's difficult to measure at such high levels, because there's simply not enough data. Too few at that level).

Now, first I have to say that just stating a number isn't that helpful. Got 147 at a Mensa test? And you live in the UK? Well, then you are using Cattell's scale. It is using a standard deviation of 24 points (sd24), which boosts the numbers.
For comparison: 148 (sd24) is the same as 130 (sd15). A standard deviation of 15 is the most commonly used scale in the high range communities.

All of those tabloid articles with little girls and boys that are smarter than Einstein - yeah, those have a bunch of errors. This one for example: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...awking-11-year-old-arnav-sharma-a7814946.html
First, Einstein never took a test, but they have estimated that he'd be around 160 using a standard deviation of 15. The kids in the articles always takes a Mensa test in the UK, and those are not very high ranged, they only go up to 162... sd24.
For comparison: 162 (sd24) is slightly less than 139 (sd15).
Einstein's estimate is 160 (sd15), which would mean that the kid should have scored over 196 (sd24) to be over Einstein.

Basically it's like: "You have $100 American dollars? Well I have 1000 Mexican pesos, so I'm richer!" (while in reality, 1000 Mexican pesos is almost $54).

This is a pet peeve of mine.

Now, the tests I've taken, they've all been scored with sd15.
The official Mensa test, I got "135 or more" since that's where it maxes out. (I've been a Mensa member for a bit over 6 years now).
Another written test that I took directly after the official test, where the test leader took me to another room to try it out, I got 145. It was very short on time, and you had to draw the actual answers / figures yourself.
One online test that *was* good enough to allow access to high range societies but got leaked one day and therefore invalidated because people COULD cheat on it, I got the highest possible score which would be around 160 (sd15... like Einstein, lol).
And one final paid online test, that is used to gain access to high range societies, and is considered valid, I got 162.

But then again, at those levels it's incredibly difficult to pinpoint your IQ, so I would just say I'm "over 140". (which is more than all those tabloid genius kids lol).

EDIT: I should say, the linked article mentions some other test though, something that takes a longer time and... isn't the Mensa test? It's not very clear. Since it took two and a half hours, and was a verbal reasoning test. Mensa usually use figure matrices, and the test used in Sweden (Raven's Progressive Matrices) is 45 questions, and has a max time of 20 minutes.

EDIT2: Hah, I'm too tired. It could as well be the Mensa test! Since it's the UK they use either the Cattell III B test (hence Cattell's scale, sd24), or Cattell Culture Fair III A. I have not seen the Culture Fair one, but I generally like those more. The first one I mentioned here is not culture fair and an example question is "Which letter should follow? L K J H ___"
It's "G". Because in the L K J H G F D S A is the middle row of a keyboard, reversed. This isn't "Culture Fair" because it assumes you have knowledge about computers or typewriters, and the layout of the keyboard.
The same goes for some questions like, change the order of the letters in "ANY TIME" to create a new 7 letter word. And the only possible result is a word that I in my 30 years, including university studies and 23 years of using the English language, have never heard.
amenity
[uh-men-i-tee, uh-mee-ni-]

noun, plural amenities.
an agreeable way or manner; courtesy; civility:
the graceful amenities of society.
any feature that provides comfort, convenience, or pleasure:
The house has a swimming pool, two fireplaces, and other amenities.
the quality of being pleasing or agreeable in situation, prospect,disposition, etc.; pleasantness:
the amenity of the Caribbean climate.
amenities, lavatory; bathroom: used as a euphemism.

Last edited by Issac,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
In my first year of high school, I took some sort of IQ test offered by my school, and got a 132. I don't remember the name of it, though.

I however do know that my great-grandfather was a part of Mensa, had above genius IQ, and was a military scientist during WWII, as well as taught for a good number of years as a professor at Cal Tech. In his later years, he was obsessed with wanting to know how smart his grandchildren were, and I recall him sending me lots of learning material as a small child, in order to entice me to want to learn from a young age. I myself don't put too much stock into IQ tests and the like, as I don't think they can really accurately measure one's level of intelligence, but I do find them interesting.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned, IQ tests aren't necessarily an accurate portrayal of your actual intelligence, it just shows you're good at answering specific questions in a specific amount of time. I don't believe that someone's IQ is the end all be all of measuring intelligence, since there are waaaay too many subjects in the universe someone could be specifically knowledgeable in without having a high IQ.

I've taken 4 official tests before, when I was 11 or 12 I took my first one and got like low 120...something, IIRC it was 123. Then I took one in my Freshman (14) and Senior (17) year of high school, and I got in the upper 120's for both, my freshman year was 129 and my senior year was 131. Then I took one about a year ago, and got 128.

So I guess just general upper 120s for the most part.

Reactions: catlover007

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As mentioned, IQ tests aren't necessarily an accurate portrayal of your actual intelligence, it just shows you're good at answering specific questions in a specific amount of time. I don't believe that someone's IQ is the end all be all of measuring intelligence, since there are waaaay too many subjects in the universe someone could be specifically knowledgeable in without having a high IQ.

I've taken 4 official tests before, when I was 11 or 12 I took my first one and got like low 120...something, IIRC it was 123. Then I took one in my Freshman (14) and Senior (17) year of high school, and I got in the upper 120's for both, my freshman year was 129 and my senior year was 131. Then I took one about a year ago, and got 128.

So I guess just general upper 120s for the most part.
Among the Mensa members in Sweden, we like to differentiate between Intelligence and Knowledge. If no one taught you maths, you can't be considered unintelligent for not knowing maths. Or geography. I don't know where all the states in America are, does that make me unintelligent? No, it's just knowledge.

We also like to think that intelligence (the one measured by IQ) is a good indication of your brain's "dexterity", "adaptability" or something. It's easier to see the connections, and to learn something for that reason. It is the brain's ability to soak up new information and knowledge. And not the actual knowledge...

But I guess that's just a philosophy, but to me it makes sense :P

Reactions: CallmeBerto

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done a few tests, both online and official written ones. Some of them are experimental but made by well regarded test makers (they're experimental since it's difficult to measure at such high levels, because there's simply not enough data. Too few at that level).

Now, first I have to say that just stating a number isn't that helpful. Got 147 at a Mensa test? And you live in the UK? Well, then you are using Cattell's scale. It is using a standard deviation of 24 points (sd24), which boosts the numbers.
For comparison: 148 (sd24) is the same as 130 (sd15). A standard deviation of 15 is the most commonly used scale in the high range communities.

All of those tabloid articles with little girls and boys that are smarter than Einstein - yeah, those have a bunch of errors. This one for example: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...awking-11-year-old-arnav-sharma-a7814946.html
First, Einstein never took a test, but they have estimated that he'd be around 160 using a standard deviation of 15. The kids in the articles always takes a Mensa test in the UK, and those are not very high ranged, they only go up to 162... sd24.
For comparison: 162 (sd24) is slightly less than 139 (sd15).
Einstein's estimate is 160 (sd15), which would mean that the kid should have scored over 196 (sd24) to be over Einstein.

Basically it's like: "You have $100 American dollars? Well I have 1000 Mexican pesos, so I'm richer!" (while in reality, 1000 Mexican pesos is almost $54).

This is a pet peeve of mine.

Now, the tests I've taken, they've all been scored with sd15.
The official Mensa test, I got "135 or more" since that's where it maxes out. (I've been a Mensa member for a bit over 6 years now).
Another written test that I took directly after the official test, where the test leader took me to another room to try it out, I got 145. It was very short on time, and you had to draw the actual answers / figures yourself.
One online test that *was* good enough to allow access to high range societies but got leaked one day and therefore invalidated because people COULD cheat on it, I got the highest possible score which would be around 160 (sd15... like Einstein, lol).
And one final paid online test, that is used to gain access to high range societies, and is considered valid, I got 162.

But then again, at those levels it's incredibly difficult to pinpoint your IQ, so I would just say I'm "over 140". (which is more than all those tabloid genius kids lol).

EDIT: I should say, the linked article mentions some other test though, something that takes a longer time and... isn't the Mensa test? It's not very clear. Since it took two and a half hours, and was a verbal reasoning test. Mensa usually use figure matrices, and the test used in Sweden (Raven's Progressive Matrices) is 45 questions, and has a max time of 20 minutes.

EDIT2: Hah, I'm too tired. It could as well be the Mensa test! Since it's the UK they use either the Cattell III B test (hence Cattell's scale, sd24), or Cattell Culture Fair III A. I have not seen the Culture Fair one, but I generally like those more. The first one I mentioned here is not culture fair and an example question is "Which letter should follow? L K J H ___"
It's "G". Because in the L K J H G F D S A is the middle row of a keyboard, reversed. This isn't "Culture Fair" because it assumes you have knowledge about computers or typewriters, and the layout of the keyboard.
The same goes for some questions like, change the order of the letters in "ANY TIME" to create a new 7 letter word. And the only possible result is a word that I in my 30 years, including university studies and 23 years of using the English language, have never heard.
amenity
[uh-men-i-tee, uh-mee-ni-]

noun, plural amenities.
an agreeable way or manner; courtesy; civility:
the graceful amenities of society.
any feature that provides comfort, convenience, or pleasure:
The house has a swimming pool, two fireplaces, and other amenities.
the quality of being pleasing or agreeable in situation, prospect,disposition, etc.; pleasantness:
the amenity of the Caribbean climate.
amenities, lavatory; bathroom: used as a euphemism.
Lol bingo. It’s an inquiry into a persons ability to solve problems. They time you as well, as the speed at which solutions to said problems are found plays into the rating system. I just remember specifically scoring in the higher superior range, but not quite genius.

Reactions: Issac

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
And IF I assume that I have that highest score I got of 162 (sd15), It would be in the 99.998211284th percentile. That is, 0,001788716 percent of the people are at that level or above.
If the earth has a population of 7.6 billion people: that means there are 13 594 242 people in the world that have an IQ that high or more. So it's not really that unique :P

Reactions: brickmii82

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Huh... interesting.
Both Coefficient and Quotient has the same meaning in Spanish. So I used Coefficient instead.
Thanks for correcting me thou.
Are you really sure about that? Coefficient and Quotient are two completely different things when it comes to mathematics.
In this equation 5X + 3Y = 0
5 and 3 are coefficients.
The result of a division is a quotient (the same way the result of something plus something else is called "sum").

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are you really sure about that? Coefficient and Quotient are two completely different things when it comes to mathematics.
In this equation 5X + 3Y = 0
5 and 3 are coefficients.
The result of a division is a quotient (the same way the result of something plus something else is called "sum").

Yes, I'm sure that Quotient and Coefficient are the same word in Spanish.
I was going to post that same thing about Mathematics (the use of coefficients)

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is actually that it was a bit confusing because:
Coefficient translates to Coeficiente
and
Quotient translates to Coeficiente / Contenido

I'm guessing that, in english:
Coefficient is used just for Maths and Quotient for other cases aside of maths... no?

I assumed that Coefficient was the word used in english, because in spanish "Coe" has the same fonetical meaning that "Coe" in spanish. Whilst "Q" in order to have a "C" sound must have an intermediate "u" between Q and the other vocal.
This means that:
Quotient in spanish doesn't exist as a word.
Quotient is pronounced Cuotient. As in the word Aqua or Quaker, where you explicitely pronounce that U, in spanish that U wouldn't have a sound.

In short...

Coefficient and Quotient are words that has the same meaning in Spanish, but Quotient does not exist as a word in Spanish. Thus I used the first one, unaware of the existence of the second one to refer other Quotients aside of Maths.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Google translate says: coeficiente and cociente... >_>
Coeficiente and Cociente are two different things.
Cociente means to be concent of something. And also Cociente means the result of any arithmetic operation.

Uh... we don't have different words for the same meaning.
We have different meanings for the same word.

Last edited by Gizametalman,

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
There is no point in telling you mine because I can suppress my IQ level. Also, whenever I'm one step from death, it gets a boost (we call it "Zenkai") and none of you can match me at my highest level.

But no one cares about IQ levels anymore. What really matters is hair color.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is no point in telling you mine because I can suppress my IQ level. Also, whenever I'm one step from death, it gets a boost (we call it "Zenkai") and none of you can match me at my highest level.

But no one cares about IQ levels anymore. What really matters is hair color.
You're wrong.
What really matters is size :creep:

D

Deleted User

I have no idea what my exact IQ is, but I tend to score better than usual on most IQ tests.

Like people before me have stated, IQ does not determine whether or not you're smarter than anyone else, it's just a tool for measuring one's logical capabilities. I know people who are much better logically than I am. I also know people who are much worse off logically than I am.

Also, I learned from my high school Psychology class that there seems to be an almost inverse relationship between a high IQ and creativity, as in, you can really only have one or the other. That being said, you do need a mildly higher-than-average IQ to be successfully creative. Take that as you will.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have no idea what my exact IQ is, but I tend to score better than usual on most IQ tests.

Like people before me have stated, IQ does not determine whether or not you're smarter than anyone else, it's just a tool for measuring one's logical capabilities. I know people who are much better logically than I am. I also know people who are much worse off logically than I am.

Also, I learned from my high school Psychology class that there seems to be an almost inverse relationship between a high IQ and creativity, as in, you can really only have one or the other. That being said, you do need a mildly higher-than-average IQ to be successfully creative. Take that as you will.

Succesfully creative... that actually makes sense. As I believe that Creativity is determined by somebody's capacity to stay focused on whatever they are doing or whatever they want to do.
Now I'm curious to see if people with Attention Deficit gets less points on IQ tests than normal people.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: