• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What's your general opinion of Christianity?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 23,787
  • Replies 332
  • Likes 2

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The terrorists would claim that u are a hypocrite for not wanting to fight for God. They could quote the Quran - as you would be able to do. How are we to judge who is correct?
Their verses are most likely going to be later than yours, they argue that newer ones abrogate older ones if there seems to be a contradiction. This method is confirmed by most main stream scholars in Islam.

Again: How can we Non-muslims tell who is right?
Did you know there are Muslims who refuse to say the Shahada because Muhammad appears right with God's name which could be interpreted as the greatest sin (shirk; associating partners to God). Are they Muslims? They would claim you aren't.

On Topic: Christianity is disproven by the fact that Christ didn't return.
Judaism and Islam (and Christianity) are disproven by the fact that God needs people to fight for him despite being all-powerful.
Further arguments:
-it is obvious the holy books are of human origin (and yes, it is also true for Islam)
-the problem of evil (they contradict his attributes)
-the hidenness of God (only revealing himself to certain people is favoritism; he sends people to hell who do not believe, even though he is to blame for the lack of evidence; thereby rewarding the gullible and punishing the critical)
-the vile nature of God (punishing people ETERNALLY is ridiculous and makes him more evil than Satan)
Red the translation, terrorists are dumbasses

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Red the translation, terrorists are dumbasses

More like the higher ups are manipulating the religious texts to turn people to extremism via something akin to brainwashing. As per usual, religion is a great political tool. This hasn't changed in the past 2000 years.

Only atheists whose only frame of reference is Christianity. If you grew up in a pastafarian community, then you would use the gospel of the flying spaghetti monster.

It's unlikely if you grew up with the quran and became atheist that you'd debate it very much. That doesn't go down well.

What atheists? See, I'm an atheist but I've done research on all the different religions because from a historical and philosophical perspective, they're interesting. What's even more interesting is how damn similar all of them are, down to sharing some stories almost detail for detail. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd say many religions share some common ancestor proto-religion. I'm excluding certain things here, since as an example Buddhism isn't remotely similar to any Christianity/Catholicism derivative.

How dare you! Our almighty creator Cthulu shall burn you for your insolence! Is his beauty not self evident in the world he's created? All hail Cthulu! Join the church of Cthulu Now, or BURN!!!

Here at the church of Cthulu, we strive to make the world a more Cthulu friendly place. Look at (INSERT TRADEGY HERE) . I guarantee you, if everyone believed in Cthulu, everything would be better! We even have heaven packages starting at 5.99! Call now to get your free consultation!

:P

Ia! Ia! Ia!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What atheists? See, I'm an atheist but I've done research on all the different religions because from a historical and philosophical perspective, they're interesting. What's even more interesting is how damn similar all of them are, down to sharing some stories almost detail for detail. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd say many religions share some common ancestor proto-religion. I'm excluding certain things here, since as an example Buddhism isn't remotely similar to any Christianity/Catholicism derivative.

His point was that Christianity was special, because it's the one that all athiests discuss. I pointed out that was because he only knew athiests that were bought up in a Christian society.

Judaism, Christianity & Islam are all the same god and centred around the same part of the world & so they are going to have a lot of simularities. It's a bit like when they've rebooted the Spiderman movies a couple of times, somethings change & others stay the same. Islam specifically took on some of the Jewish customs, to attract more Jews.

Last edited by smf,

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
His point was that Christianity was special, because it's the one that all athiests discuss. I pointed out that was because he only knew athiests that were bought up in a Christian society.

Judaism, Christianity & Islam are all the same god and centred around the same part of the world & so they are going to have a lot of simularities. It's a bit like when they've rebooted the Spiderman movies a couple of times, somethings change & others stay the same. Islam specifically took on some of the Jewish customs, to attract more Jews.

To be clear, I was agreeing with you. :wink:

Exannor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You merely adopted Christianity. I was born in it, molded by it.

jk, after my mother passed, I quit going to church

I don't care for it all that much now, but back then, when I was basically forced to go, I was annoyed by it.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alucard: Honestly, if you're going to have a dick-fighting competition with a woman, you must have started off with the world's cruelest handicap. Which I'm sure benefits the nine-year-old boy you have chained up in your private Vatican jet. Which was paid for how? Oh, right! Generous donations from your followers to spread the Word of God. All over his back.

References to good anime abridged series aside, Christianity is a religion like any other. If you follow it, good on you. I won't personally deride you for it. That said, if you are of the type that can't handle the criticism leveled against your religion, don't really expect me to not deride you for it.

The moment you proclaim something as all-holy and try to put it as an argument because it's all-holy, therefore it must be right, you'll quickly find me on opposing side, at which point I will deride you for such an argument/fallacy. (Fallacy being "Gods will is written in the bible, therefore it must be like this." Counter-argument: "What says your god exists?" Counter-counter-argument: "The bible does." This is circular reasoning and therefore a fallacy.)

That said, when it comes to Christianity specifically, I have rather big critiques over how some of it's followers seem to take incredibly primitive stances which I just find unacceptable in this day and age (homophobia being a large one of them), as well as various degrees of negative thoughts about drama involving the way they try to push it.

On a slightly larger scale/vaguely related to Christianity, I'm not particularly a fan of how somehow America gets to call itself a secular state when things like swearing yourself in on Gods name is a thing. Even if other options exist, it intertwines and blurries the clear separation religion and state must have. (Something which in the case of reinstating voting rights for ex-inmates, at least in one state, where the board has the final say no matter what, there is a consistent question of "do you go to church". Such a question should hold no bearing on someone's readaptation in society.)

Other things I'm critical of is the situation/controversy surrounding pedophile priests and the way that the catholic church has a pretty big focus on making sure that their priests live expensive lives instead of properly using said money in ways to maintain their following.

I'll give them one good thing though: The name for their God is pretty cool. I'm not talking about "Him" or the other ways they refer to their God. I'm talking about the name, which out of respect I won't post here.

Last edited by Ev1l0rd,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And your proof there is no GOD?
Generally speaking the one making the extraordinary claim is the one that gets to back it.

Said claim that a magical being of infinite power, wisdom and compassion allows this horrible universe to exist and displays no compassion nor power, spoke to an eventual zombie* of a different religion 2000 years ago in the middle east and not a jot since despite it being trivial for them, dictated a book which through several translations still has a whole bunch of stuff which is seemingly demonstrably false and of dubious merit under human logic (which works fantastically otherwise) is the righteous and correct way to interpret existence then being a rather extraordinary claim. Oh and it is only this one despite there being technically infinite but practically maybe 100 thousand other well thought out choices or historical jumping off points.

*a zombie which a significant fraction of his eventual followers have as a core tenet of their beliefs that they have a little nibble on each week. Maybe they are all nuts or grossly mistaken but if it can happen to one then we have to vet the lot and there is an awful lot of historical baggage all over the shop there.

I'll give them one good thing though: The name for their God is pretty cool. I'm not talking about "Him" or the other ways they refer to their God. I'm talking about the name, which out of respect I won't post here.

י ה ו ה, which is notably a somewhat forgotten sequence of letters/work as far as pronunciation goes, which converts to Roman character set as YHWH and owing to a bit of historical fudgery (linguistics was not a terribly well developed practice and still undergoes radical shifts to this day) some then further convert to yahweh or Jehovah. What is disrespectful about discussing that?

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Ratatattat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cancer in 3 year olds.

Generally speaking the one making the extraordinary claim is the one that gets to back it.

Said claim that a magical being of infinite power, wisdom and compassion allows this horrible universe to exist and displays no compassion nor power, spoke to an eventual zombie* of a different religion 2000 years ago in the middle east and not a jot since despite it being trivial for them, dictated a book which through several translations still has a whole bunch of stuff which is seemingly demonstrably false and of dubious merit under human logic (which works fantastically otherwise) is the righteous and correct way to interpret existence then being a rather extraordinary claim. Oh and it is only this one despite there being technically infinite but practically maybe 100 thousand other well thought out choices or historical jumping off points.

*a zombie which a significant fraction of his eventual followers have as a core tenet of their beliefs that they have a little nibble on each week. Maybe they are all nuts or grossly mistaken but if it can happen to one then we have to vet the lot and there is an awful lot of historical baggage all over the shop there.

י ה ו ה, which is notably a somewhat forgotten sequence of letters/work as far as pronunciation goes, which converts to Roman character set as YHWH and owing to a bit of historical fudgery (linguistics was not a terribly well developed practice and still undergoes radical shifts to this day) some then further convert to yahweh or Jehovah. What is disrespectful about discussing that?

Your confusing GOD with Man made religion.

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind religious people that aren't hateful at all, although most major religions promote violence to one degree or another.

Christianity tells you to beat your kid unless you hate their guts which is a fucking crazy.

In my opinion, all religions are similar to Scientology, just of varying degrees and they're all bullshit.

xskibbles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a concept, do bad and be forgiven, that alone is extremely dangerous.
It’s bad if not really understood which ,sadly,for many so called Christians they don’t . It’s supposed to mean if you did bad(sinned ,whatever) and you truly aknowledge you fucked up ,and you repent , and don’t go back to your old ways(basically become a better person I guess), and actually ask for forgiveness then forgiven . It doesn’t mean you won’t face punishment here on earth, and it surely isn’t meant to be something where you just go back to doing it al over again because “I’ll just say sorry again” . It also shouldn’t mean plan to do bad and then just ask either . Sadly, most have just gone by the last 2 things I mentioned .

Last edited by xskibbles,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your confusing GOD with Man made religion.
sorry for my bad english, i know how it's supposed to be spoken, not always do i know how it's written.
god is man made.first god i know of is the god of the lava (forgot it's name), since no one in that time god an conclusive answer for there coming lava and earthquakes out of the earth they belived it was a god inside the mountain that claimed people for thier sinning, if sinners were to be thrown in the mountain they thought it might not happen again.
until around the year 300 after christ, here in europe we had about 7 gods of this sort.
since the greeks really investegated the claims these religions were easy to disproof, but saying there's one almighty god is hard to disproof. can't tell you in proof 100% fact there isn't one, i can however tell the unlikelyness of there being one by numbers and math.
at least there being a god is either not caring at all for you and us in general, or he/she's not alive anymore, or he never excisted in the first place.
the only proof ever found of mozes claims we're hes words of a talking bush (wich could also mean he cooked the first LSD, just one bad trip man).
god in the old testamony is contradicting his own claims over and over, like about love thy neighbor, don't kill, leave revenge to god... god really asked someone to sacrifice his only child? then waited about 2400 years and claimed his own only child? you really think that would make a father say every sin is paid for? you must be on prescriped meds or something.
in percentage there's no difference in history about what worldwide religion got killed more, suffered more except for those small religions about one country or city practiced, these belivers were just crushed and killed.
there's almost no proof of half the prophets ever being alive on this planet except for the story teller telling you so.
well there'hans an greetel, they got just as much reason to be real as there's a god. and i for one don't beleve any book for being real until there's more proof.
proof to me beyond doubt king salomon lived as a rich king and meant something to the countries around his?
god yahweh i'm for that i am, or better said i am real for i said so, or better said i am real because mozes said so is no proof.
if a club of people start telling tales to childeren over and over again and again, chances are this kid will not question it being a real story.
the only after life there is is the one that you could be in the haerts of other people when you die, just it's much easier to accomplish if you dont follow the 10 commands (hitler for one is just as much alive now as he was when he really lived).
after life on it self sounds nice when thinking of your grand mother, or father that you miss so much, but think of that mailman that always breathed so awkward he's probably just as much there in the afterlife as you are, your mother in law that always complained about how you treat your children, or your wife/husband. your neighbor. and you know how many christians died in the last 2018 years... think about that number of people being in one house, and they all like the paintings there (it's paradise to them all) they all like the stile of rocks being used (it's paradise to them all), they all like the same plants and positions of those in the garden (it's paradise to them all).
there's no way we all have the excact same idea about what paradise would be when it comes to detailles, but god seems te have? really? you're that ignorant?
for christians it's said we will all praise our lord infinitively, for it's great deeds... then let's practise:
  • Thank you Lord for At least 8 climbers dead after snowstorm in Nepal.
  • Thank you Lord for Michael's death toll rises to 17, including 8 in Florida.
  • Thank you Lord for Brain-eating amoeba confirmed in New Jersey man's death.
  • Thank you Lord for India hit with its biggest outbreak of Zika to date, with 32 confirmed cases.
just a short list of thing this God of us is doing, or you think those are mand made?
i also have a more personal praise for him or her:
  • Thank you Lord for giving the joy of life to a child that i now know will never live to see his 16th birthday because he's got a desease that has been there even before he was born, and even if it was known from the start, no docter would ever being able to cure him because his body is allergic to his body.
really great you all see him as a great allmighty one, give me beyond any doubt proof he's real and caring and alive... not a fairy tale you made up, even a fairy tale you think really happined is not proof.
please stop looking away of problems around you by just praying, do something!

okay there's a new world made by the catholic churges in some way for a part of thier followers, the world of broken dreams by getting raped over and over again.

Ratatattat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for my bad english, i know how it's supposed to be spoken, not always do i know how it's written.
god is man made.first god i know of is the god of the lava (forgot it's name), since no one in that time god an conclusive answer for there coming lava and earthquakes out of the earth they belived it was a god inside the mountain that claimed people for thier sinning, if sinners were to be thrown in the mountain they thought it might not happen again.
until around the year 300 after christ, here in europe we had about 7 gods of this sort.
since the greeks really investegated the claims these religions were easy to disproof, but saying there's one almighty god is hard to disproof. can't tell you in proof 100% fact there isn't one, i can however tell the unlikelyness of there being one by numbers and math.
at least there being a god is either not caring at all for you and us in general, or he/she's not alive anymore, or he never excisted in the first place.
the only proof ever found of mozes claims we're hes words of a talking bush (wich could also mean he cooked the first LSD, just one bad trip man).
god in the old testamony is contradicting his own claims over and over, like about love thy neighbor, don't kill, leave revenge to god... god really asked someone to sacrifice his only child? then waited about 2400 years and claimed his own only child? you really think that would make a father say every sin is paid for? you must be on prescriped meds or something.
in percentage there's no difference in history about what worldwide religion got killed more, suffered more except for those small religions about one country or city practiced, these belivers were just crushed and killed.
there's almost no proof of half the prophets ever being alive on this planet except for the story teller telling you so.
well there'hans an greetel, they got just as much reason to be real as there's a god. and i for one don't beleve any book for being real until there's more proof.
proof to me beyond doubt king salomon lived as a rich king and meant something to the countries around his?
god yahweh i'm for that i am, or better said i am real for i said so, or better said i am real because mozes said so is no proof.
if a club of people start telling tales to childeren over and over again and again, chances are this kid will not question it being a real story.
the only after life there is is the one that you could be in the haerts of other people when you die, just it's much easier to accomplish if you dont follow the 10 commands (hitler for one is just as much alive now as he was when he really lived).
after life on it self sounds nice when thinking of your grand mother, or father that you miss so much, but think of that mailman that always breathed so awkward he's probably just as much there in the afterlife as you are, your mother in law that always complained about how you treat your children, or your wife/husband. your neighbor. and you know how many christians died in the last 2018 years... think about that number of people being in one house, and they all like the paintings there (it's paradise to them all) they all like the stile of rocks being used (it's paradise to them all), they all like the same plants and positions of those in the garden (it's paradise to them all).
there's no way we all have the excact same idea about what paradise would be when it comes to detailles, but god seems te have? really? you're that ignorant?
for christians it's said we will all praise our lord infinitively, for it's great deeds... then let's practise:
  • Thank you Lord for At least 8 climbers dead after snowstorm in Nepal.
  • Thank you Lord for Michael's death toll rises to 17, including 8 in Florida.
  • Thank you Lord for Brain-eating amoeba confirmed in New Jersey man's death.
  • Thank you Lord for India hit with its biggest outbreak of Zika to date, with 32 confirmed cases.
just a short list of thing this God of us is doing, or you think those are mand made?
i also have a more personal praise for him or her:
  • Thank you Lord for giving the joy of life to a child that i now know will never live to see his 16th birthday because he's got a desease that has been there even before he was born, and even if it was known from the start, no docter would ever being able to cure him because his body is allergic to his body.
really great you all see him as a great allmighty one, give me beyond any doubt proof he's real and caring and alive... not a fairy tale you made up, even a fairy tale you think really happined is not proof.
please stop looking away of problems around you by just praying, do something!

okay there's a new world made by the catholic churges in some way for a part of thier followers, the world of broken dreams by getting raped over and over again.

How many times do I have to say "Your confusing GOD with Man made religion".

PanTheFaun

The Uninspired Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no problem with Christianity. I think that it teaches good morals and values but what some people have done in the name of Christianity in years past is terrible.

Ratatattat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no problem with Christianity. I think that it teaches good morals and values but what some people have done in the name of Christianity in years past is terrible.

Religion has its good side as well as bad side. For some it gives hope. Just because the fox has learned to hide among the sheep doesn't mean all the sheep are bad, like some here would like you to believe.

Reactions: PanTheFaun

PanTheFaun

The Uninspired Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Religion has its good side as well as bad side. For some it gives hope. Just because the fox has learned to hide among the sheep doesn't mean all the sheep are bad, like some here would like you to believe.
Of course. I used to teach about the bible to kids when I worked at my local church when I was a devout Christian.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning