What's your favourite falling-blocks puzzle game?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Tetris attack on snes (yoshi retheme of meteos) if I've got to pick one.

But i like more than a few...
* tetris on wii has most options(i always play climber, though)
*tetris vs puyo puyo on GameCube is good for variation
* for a while i was a lot into ghost mania on wii eshop. A sort of meteos clone, since it involves rearranging
* lumines is cool, but it's not really my jam.

Reactions: retrospect

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

But i like more than a few...
* tetris on wii has most options(i always play climber, though)
* for a while i was a lot into ghost mania on wii eshop. A sort of meteos clone, since it involves rearranging
* lumines is cool, but it's not really my jam.
Tetris DS

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wario's Woods has an addictive quality. Nintendo really should have done more with it over the years.

Doctor Mario World had a certain charm, but we're not likely to see it again anytime soon.

I really wish Capcom would release Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix on Steam; they made some crucial re-balancing changes that render the original completely irrelevant. There's Crystal Crisis from Nicalis, but tragically it is sorely lacking the same charm. Something went horribly wrong in the development of that one.

Tetris, Hatris and Dr Mario
Hatris? Seriously!? Why?

Technically Tetris Attack is a retheme of Panel de Pon. Neither of them particularly resembles Meteos, which came much, much later.

Do you mean Switch? I've never heard of a game like that for Gamecube.

*edit: grammar

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
1. Technical Tetris Attack if a retheme of Panel de Pon. Neither of them particularly resembles Meteos, which came much, much later.

2.Do you mean Switch? I've never heard of a game like that for Gamecube.
1. Oh... Okay. Only played it on snes, and quickly googled meteos. It's about matching three horizontal or vertical by swapping two adjacent, right?

2. No (i don't have a switch). Granted, it's an oriental game where i just click a button until the game starts. Good chance it never got ported to the west

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It used to be Puzzle Fighter which was always enjoyed socially, but I don't really do stuff like that anymore. I guess it would be Mr Driller now if that counts.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2. No (i don't have a switch). Granted, it's an oriental game where i just click a button until the game starts. Good chance it never got ported to the west
Is it actually called tetris vs puyo puyo? I'm searching and I cannot seem to find any Gamecube game by that name, even if it was never ported. I am very curious.

Blockout amazing 3D on that time and today still is great
There's at least one nice open-source derivative.
http://www.blockout.net/blockout2/

Reactions: JLivingstonSG

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tetris 2 on the NES. Not the first Tetris game I played but the one I put the most time into in my formative years and I still think it plays better despite having possibly thousands of hours in on Tetris DS, minna no soft tetris (best non homebrew GBA tetris) and the DS homebrew port of the tetris grand masters.

Oddball choice.
Eggo Mania/Egg Mania on the GBA (picked up the PS2 version a while back but have not yet played it). It is too easy to make the list of absolute greatest but in terms of potential it has more than most, indeed in my "one day I might have the time" list sits making this game harder. That said despite stacking falling blocks (better fill = more stable your escape tower but longer to do...) I would probably put that more in a category with Rampart (for the uninitiated kids in the audience the grandfather of tower defence or maybe the dungeon defence stuff) in which tetronimos feature.

Columns is also a solid game. Only really put time properly in on the 16 bit one though (used to come on the ? in one carts a lot).

If doing Puyo Puyo then I will throw in for Haro no Puyo Puyo on the GBA

In all cases vs modes are my favourite modes to play if that is an option.

Reactions: hippy dave

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Certain versions of Puyo Puyo. 15th Anniversary has a lot of variety in its game modes and there is a good fan translation for it. 20th Anniversary has a fan translation too, but I haven't tried it. All the different game modes give it a lot of replayability.
Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon is also great.

I was never a big Tetris fan, although Tetris Effect is pretty cool.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ngl its mean bean machine (puyo puyo) it hits hard

Sonic_Mean_Bean_Machine.jpg

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Really enjoyed puyo puyo games, played many varieties, it's pretty cool to build up chains against your opononet.
Another falling puzzle game I recently very liked is Araiguma Rascal, it's pretty addictive.
I'm not sure is it count, but the jars are falling...

...adorable.

• Wow
Reactions: impeeza

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really enjoyed puyo puyo games, played many varieties, it's pretty cool to build up chains against your opononet.
Another falling puzzle game I recently very liked is Araiguma Rascal, it's pretty addictive.
I'm not sure is it count, but the jars are falling...

...adorable.

Yeah that counts. Cute! 🦝

Reactions: impeeza

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only puyo puyo game that I played a lot of 2 player battle mode was the freeware clone on the Amiga, came on a coverdisk with Amiga Power magazine and was called Super Foul Egg. We did have a lot of fun with that one for a while.

super-foul-egg_4.png

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Never heard about that clone, but I'm not surprised that Amiga fans made at least one, but I see it's hard to make so well designed bouncy animations as original has. First puyo game I played was Puo Puyo 2 on the compile's disk stations for pc. Compile was pretty good developer back in the days. Remember other ones, some rpg called Gense, some running game - Blitz Runner, or platform Go, Go Ivan! I really liked board game called Tales of the Float Land.

This really deserve for port for other platforms, or remake.
Anyway about other puzzle game, I think I can give a vote for dr. Mario too (i like the Gameboy hack, graphicaly look as nes) and maybe Mr. Driller. But If we talk about tetris, we should mention about Kret.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: