3.4%
  11. Other (specify)

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  12. 29 voter(s)
  1. MikaDubbz

OP MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I tried to list only the systems that I know can easily be softmodded on a system level and aren't just hacked in the sense that they have flashcards or can play burned discs. My understanding is that the Xbone never became hacked, is that true? Anyway, vote what you prefer and leave a post if there is a system you prefer that I didn't list.

I choose Wii U because its essentially a hacked Wii with even more capabilities, it can even work in tandem with a hacked 3DS to stream that on the system, it can essentially be an all-in-one Nintendo system (except for the Switch) as well as many other favorite non-Nintendo systems like Genesis, MAME, PSone, and PSP. Plus having the GamePad controller adds just an extra level of convenience for the living room, that I really think goes underappreciated.

Last edited by MikaDubbz, Mar 7, 2021
    Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. djpannda

djpannda GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Def. PSP. I got one as soon as the Pandora battery mod was found. I modded the SHOOT out of that PSP.

3. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Switch. Its an emulation powwrhouse

Scott_pilgrim and XAIXER like this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Cubi™ Genderfluid Gang!

Antarctica
    I would have to say that it’s a three way tie between the 3DS, PSP, and original Xbox. All three have some of the best hacks, especially a wide variety of non-piracy hacks.

smallissue, Scott_pilgrim and Xzi like this.
  5. CPG

CPG haggis!

Canada
    def xbox. emulation powerhouse

6. MikaDubbz

OP MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I bet a hacked Switch is amazing, but I have reservations about it. It seems a bit more dangerous in regard to the possibility of bricking, thanks to the fuses and all that, and I know that Nintendo can easily ban you from online by detecting unofficial titles on your device. I know there are countermeasures by the scene to avoid these issues. But I guess that's what seems a bit discouraging about hacking the Switch to me, it looks like a constant push and pull with Nintendo as new firmware updates are released and a lot of measures need to be met to ensure your system isn't banned or bricked. I want to be able to lend my gaming devices to say my nephew and not worry about something going wrong, and a hacked Switch seems a bit too dangerous for that to seem like an option.

7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    3DS for me. Best Retro powerhouse as far as portable size and battery life go. Great buttons, a proper D-pad, Lots of VC games, near-perfect GBA, NDS/i and 3DS game support, as well as emulators for just about everything at or below the 3DS, in terms of specs. Great little powerhouse of a system. I know the Switch is better at most of it but 3DS, but I really can't count it as "better" when it doesn't even have a coldboot soft-mod CFW solution yet.

PSP for me would be my next choice, followed by the Wii U, Wii, and OG Xbox.

8. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    Wii > PS2 > 3DS > PSP

The Wii and PS2 being able to launch my games from hard drives along with being my favorite home consoles put them at the top of my list, probably close enough to be interchangeable in which is at the top of my list. The two handhelds I list are very much the same in that respect. The convenience is what makes CFW worth it for me most overall.

Other consoles I've modded were fun but lacked the longevity the ones I listed have had for me.

9. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    For me it's a tie between PS Vita and 3DS. Vita is nice mostly for playing PSP games on that beautiful screen, but there are a few solid native titles too, along with plenty of options for homebrew and customization. Hacking it also bypasses some design flaws, such as the need to use proprietary storage. 3DS is self-explanatory: massive game library with backward compatibility, great customization options, super easy to hack.

OTOH, I'd say a hacked PS3 is the biggest PITA, especially when trying to play PS2 and PSX games.

10. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I probably spent the most of my time on a hacked wii

11. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    3DS by virtue of it being the only one i own

12. alexander1970

Austria
    Good Morning. 1tee.gif

For the most Console I use it is the Wii.
    For the easiest to mod Console for me the PSP-1000/2000
    For the most elaborate to hack Console - For that I own in the Meantime none.

Thank you.:)

13. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    3ds is only hacked console I own, so that

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  14. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    It's a hard tie between the Wii and original Xbox for me. So much kickassery on both consoles, dude, holy shit.

On the Wii, you got stuff like RiiConnect24 and LegacyXP bringing new, fun content to the console by utilizing the bones of what was there, and on the Xbox, there's stuff like XBMC and custom BIOSes giving many new, convenient features to the console like a soft reset, accessing local media servers, etc.

Azerus_Kun and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  15. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    The Wii, hands down. It has so much custom content it's like a bottomless Christmas present. I mean... I played dos's descent on it yesterday. Why? Because it's there.

I wish I could say the same for the WiiU, but I can't. Unless I'm seriously missing out, it has a... Relatively closed hacking part (haxchi) and all the fun stuff on the Wii (EDIT: this should be 'vWii', or 'that wii part of the wiiu'). But without a priiloader equivalent (that boots you into a homebrew app rather than the main menu) or an all encompassing USB loader like wii flow (that's also a gateway to every other app) it's just not the same.

Last edited by Taleweaver, Mar 9, 2021 - Reason: clarification: I meant vwii when talking about the wiiu
    Azerus_Kun and Jayro like this.
  16. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    I have to agree with you here, using homebrew on the Wii U is very weird.

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  17. smallissue

smallissue Member
    Newcomer

United States
    i have a hacked 3ds because i heard about how good it was on gbatemp, or something:yay3ds:
    does that make me a cringe normie:ph34r:

Last edited by smallissue, Mar 9, 2021
    Azerus_Kun and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  18. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox fox-ott

United States
    Man, I was having a tough time picking... I was stuck between the Wii, OG Xbox, 3DS and PSP. Had to go with Wii though. As much as I enjoy the others softmodded, I think my modded Wii probably has the most hours on it.

19. WillowTheWhisper

Newcomer

United States
    I'm not surprised the Wii is coming out ahead here, that was the first console I ever softmodded and man is it a good one. The community support is just outstanding.

Nowadays though I mostly use a New 3DS XL or Switch, but nothing beats how easy and full-featured the Wii homebrew scene is.

20. WiiMiiSwitch

WiiMiiSwitch g o o g l e m e

United States
    Hey, I'm the poll master here. However, since this is an interesting poll I won't send you away. Anyways when you make a hard poll next time allow us to choose multiple options.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - favorite, hacked, gaming