What's your favorite GBA game?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Yepi69, Jan 14, 2013.

Jan 14, 2013

What's your favorite GBA game? by Yepi69 at 11:14 PM (12,677 Views / 1 Likes) 134 replies

1. Yepi69
    OP

Member Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Portugal
    Gotta love the GBA library right?

Anyways, what is your favorite all time GBA game?

Mine's Mother 3, whats yours :yaysp:?

xtreme78219 likes this.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Tough call

1) Homebrew. Probably has to be Tetnus on Drugs/lockjaw the overdose. http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/homebrew/download-lockjaw-the-overdose-milestone-4-f5072.html

2) Commercial. 50/50 between Minna no soft tetris (I actually went and found a retail copy of this one) and Egg/Eggo mania http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-game-of-the-week-week-8-egg-mania-gba.299333/

I enjoy many things on the GBA (it is why the GBA is one the main selected consoles when I do the game of the week feature) but those three are my staples. Come to think of it though I hold the DS library was probably better in the end other than Tetris Grand Masters and Tetris DS I do not have any equivalents for the DS.

..... turns out I might like Tetris more than I thought (NES emulators have tetris 2 as one of the big two games).

3. miguel503

Newcomer miguel503 Member

United States
    Zelda:ALTTP

xtreme78219 likes this.
  4. Yepi69
    OP

Portugal
    In my opinion, the GBA is the best handheld I ever played, there's just so much good titles to play, and yes Tetris is pretty good, I also love playing Tetris but only Tetris DS and Tetris Party Deluxe because those have online gameplay (playing alone is no fun).

5. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    VS CPU has been available in various capacities for decades now (NES Tetris 2 has a nice version) and those are the modes I usually play. I would not mind online but trying to get a challenging opponent is hard enough let alone keeping that going for a few hours on end.

You can keep the Tetris Party deluxe game for the DS though- could not get on with the controls/piece handling at all. That said I have been doing a lot of the PSP mini version of tetris of late so I might have to give it a try again..

6. DragorianSword

Member DragorianSword GBAtemp's #1 Gunter

Belgium
    Actually I bought the gba sp a few months after release but only ever got pokémon games and Harry Potter 3 for it.
    I spent hours and hours just on those games (and used it for my gbc games too of course).
    Only recently since I started collecting I've played some other games on it like Castlevania, KH, Kuru Kuru Kururin and Mario.
    But I've played Golden Sun on an emulator before and to me that was without a doubt the best game for the gba.

7. Yepi69
    OP

Portugal
    When I played Golden Sun I said the same thing, best GBA game I ever played, until I found out about Mother 3 :)

8. DragorianSword

Member DragorianSword GBAtemp's #1 Gunter

Belgium
    Yeah haven't played that one yet, but it is certainly on my 'to play'-list

9. Yepi69
    OP

Portugal
    Not gonna spoil it for you, but If you want to cry tears of joy and sadness then play the game :)

10. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I would say Yoshi's Island since it's a port of my favorite game of all time, but that would be unfair to the rest of them.

My favorite GBA game would be more like 3, but it would be Pokemon R/S/E. Out of all the Pokemon games I have played, I enjoyed them the most. I loved the gameplay, I felt it was fresh, but still kept to the basic style. I loved the features like the hidden forts and different bikes.
    My only complain with the games was it couldn't trade with the older games and didn't have day to night, but those were really minor to me and didn't overshadow just how much fun I had playing them.

Being pokemon games, you really can't finish them unless you play all three, but unlike most pokemon games, Ruby and Sapphire had different stories from each other. They weren't totally different, just some minor changes and two different teams, but it finally made choosing one game over the other more interesting when you played them. Emerald really combined the stories into one story as well, which even made it worth a playthough.

Not to mention those games introduced my favorite Gamecube games of all time, Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD - Gale of Darkness. Which is the main reason I actually bought a Gamecube back in the day and the main reason I keep my Gamecube (I know I can play them on the Wii, but I prefer playing GC games on the GC.)

11. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I was never overly enamoured with Golden Sun but if you are looking at them I highly suggest you poke around some of the Golden Sun hacking forums and hack databases- http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/ being a good start. Though some are the usual "start with level 99 characters and ultimate weapons" style boredom threshold testers many are nice things like hacks that add voice acting, fix bugs and add nice features. Fire Emblem and Advance Wars see similar grades of hacking and if you see a hack for another game outside the pokemon franchise it almost certainly worth a look (most fix bugs or otherwise improve the game)- http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hac...gory=&perpage=20&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go and http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/trainers-rom-hacks/ if you want links to general GBA hack downloads.

12. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Mother 3, Superstar Saga or Minish Cap. All different enough to qualify for me.

I really didn't like the Golden Sun games and thought they were a dull trudge, with a boring silent protagonist.

13. Yepi69
    OP

Portugal
    That boring silent protagonist talks on Golden Sun Dark Dawn

NahuelDS likes this.
  14. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    The first one (and a bit of the second) killed any desire to even try another Golden Sun. They did nothing special for me at all and the story was really ho-hum. The DS is littered with great RPG's so i'm pretty sure my avoidance of Dark Dawn does me no harm.

15. Parasite X

Banned Parasite X Banned

United States
    My favorite GBA games are Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland,Metroid Zero Mission,Metroid Fusion,DBZ Buu's Fury,Super Mario world,Super Mario Advance,and DBZ Legacy Of Goku 2.

16. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    Metroid Fusion or Castlevania: COTM I would say

17. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    Golden Sun - The Lost Age
    best thing ever made in the whole universe

18. Its_just_Lou

Member Its_just_Lou GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I read 'Mothra 3' at first, and got excited...sigh...

Hmmmm, hard to pick just one, such a stellar library....

Love:

Metroid (all)
    Castlevania (all)
    Mario ports (nearly all, dont do the Kart thing, though)
    Drill Dozer
    Donkey Kong Country
    Dark Arena
    Wolfenstein
    Pinball of the Dead
    Astro Boy
    That Punch-Out rip-off (Name escapes me)
    Final Fight One

etc., etc., etc.

:grog:

Elrinth likes this.
  19. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    Either Medabots or Pokemon :P

20. Dark Flasher

Newcomer Dark Flasher Newbie

Germany
    One of my favorite GBA Game is Super Mario Bross, Pokemon Emerald Edition and GTA Advance.