What's your favorite DS SHMUP?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by EveryBVideos, Mar 6, 2013.

Mar 6, 2013
  1. EveryBVideos
    OP

Newcomer EveryBVideos Everything Bagel Videos

United States
    What is your favorite DS shoot 'em up? If I had to choose one I would give the honor to Nanostray 2. It's not very well known, but is very good. There is lot's of replay-ability and the graphics fit the game well. The story is not the greatest, but who cares when you've got a kick butt game?!
    I'd like to hear from you guys what's your favorite?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I had a shmups thread for the game of the week/book game club a while back http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-game-of-the-week-74.336294/ (it was also the week of the hack so we did not get much discussion there) though the list was far from exhaustive.
    To that end right now my favourite is probably the one I mentioned there but did not base the thread around as it was too new.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-5912-veggy-world-usa.336115/
    Failing that homebrew is where it is at for me- space impakto, arsenal, retrorocket and Warhawk- even though Cave made and effort they did not beat homebrew.

As for nanostray 2 following a discussion the other week a SFX removal patch/method was made
    http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/rom-hacks/download-nanostray-2-sfx-muting-patch-10-f31556.html

3. EveryBVideos
    OP

Newcomer EveryBVideos Everything Bagel Videos

United States
    I definitely agree with you as some of the home-brew games are very good, but I preferred Nanostray overall.

4. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    My fav has to be Ketsui Death Label. Im fairly certain it's the only Cave title to grace the DS.

I also really love Relminator's homebrew Space Impakto.

5. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Unfortunately there arent very many. I would have to step back a generation and say that my favorite is Gradius Galaxies.

6. gumgod

Member gumgod GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Don't forget there's a port of Tyrian on DS, and that's pretty good. Nanostray and Nanostray 2 are both pretty awesome too. However I'm not sure I like Ketsui Death Label, too much of a boss rush type game for me, and I also find all the little squares flying at the ship quite distracting.

7. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    Bangai-O Spirits is the only one that came to mind

8. PortablePlatypus

Newcomer PortablePlatypus Member

United States
    As far as traditional space shooters, I'd agree with NanoStray 2. Bangai-O is also excellent, but not strictly a schmup.

If we're counting DSiWare, Metal Torrent is a decent one. It's currently being offered as a club nintendo reward.