What's wrong with this TV...?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by leocamilo, Feb 29, 2008.

Feb 29, 2008
  1. leocamilo
    OP

Member leocamilo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey guys, just a small question. I play my wii games on a 42" plasma TV, and I have wii component video cables. So, theoretically, I can play in wii's best resolution. But when I watch some videos from IGN, for example, showing SSBB, I do notice that in their videos the image seems better. I was wondering if this is because my TV is too big to the games, and because they need to be "stretched", the image gets worse (I can actually see some pixels and all the borders aren't as smooth as they are supposed to be). With Zelda is the same. The worst case is with Resident Evil 4: when I play in my plasma TV, the image is VERY ugly because the whole image is pixelated (and in my old, tube TV is plays really well).
    So, what do you guys think? Is there a "perfect size" TV to play wii games? Does anybody experience that as well? And does anybody know how to fix this RE4 problem?
    Thanks ^^

2. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Do you have 16:9 mode and 480p mode enabled in your Wii settings?

If not you're not getting the best picture.

But aside from that, if you have a HD Plasma TV, you should be getting the best picture from your Wii as possible. Plasma is always great for standard definition signals.
    Mind you, it won't look HD, you'll see pixels. But it could be the best you're gonna get.

3. leocamilo
    OP

United States
    Yes, I play in 16:9 and 480p...

4. Quantum

Member Quantum GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe you're sitting too closely? (Sorry, that's all I can think of)

5. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I think the pixelated stuff is actually because of the 480P thing set correctly.
    Older TV's were to blurry to notice the lack anti-alliasing, but now you've got a big sharp TV with still a small resolution, you can see the pixels clearer too.

6. leocamilo
    OP

United States
    Even if I play RE4 in 480i, it still is VERY pixelated... and in my tube TV it plays normally.

7. Mirato

Member Mirato GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Wow i just started playing my wii on my 40" samsung hd tv and damn you are right, I get exactly the same problem. Everything seems very pixelated, SSBB is ok, not so pixelated, only when you go up close. But Naruto ex 2 is extremely pixelated, and the same goes for no more heroes. I know the wii only goes to 480p and not 1080p like the other consoles, but still was expecting far better than what ive seen.

However, apart from the disadvantages, one thing i must say. The colours and brightness of the picture is awesome! Alot more vibrant compared to my older tv.

Btw, I have component cables purchased from my local game store which were like £10 ($20) which are unofficial.

You think if i get the official ones the resolution will be any better?

8. KKajun

Newcomer KKajun Advanced Member

Canada
    Same with my 32" LCD, we're getting a better picture so now we can see all the (ugly) details...I ended up hooking it up to my old tv, a 30" 16:9 CRT that only supports 480I, 480p and 1080i and it looks perfect.

9. leocamilo
    OP

United States
    Yeah that really sucks. I spent a lot of money on these equipment and was expecting to be waaaay better.

10. Mirato

Member Mirato GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeh majorly sucks. Leo do you have the official wii component cable or a third party one? I know that probably won't make a difference, but was just wondering.

11. leocamilo
    OP

United States
    Mirato, my component cable is the official one from nintendo.