What's wrong with my disc drive?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by INTERNETS, Jun 1, 2007.

Jun 1, 2007
  1. INTERNETS
    OP

Member INTERNETS GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Last night, a friend and I attempted to install a WiiKey clone with a wire method. He's a fairly experienced electronics dude, and I'm pretty sure that nothing happened to be bridged. But, after we got everything installed, we plugged everything back in (including the two cables that connect to the drive), the Wii started – and had no sound output, and the UI's graphics were beyond sluggish.

But, after a few seconds of that, the machine shut off suddenly. With a little poking around, we found that the machine would turn off immediately. After further poking, we troubleshooted and found out that the machine works fine without the DVD drive attached.

Additionally, the drive wouldn't accept discs at all. When powered on, it made clicking, whirring noises that sounded like the laser was attempting to focus hardcore.

Has anybody seen a problem like this before on the Wii? Did we maybe blow a fuse?

I have a launch-day console, by the way.

2. bliss-chris

Newcomer bliss-chris Member

Germany
    You didn't blow a fuse, cause then it wouldn't budge at all. But it sounds like a mechanical problem like dirt in the drive on the lense or something or the disc can't really spin as fast as it would like to or not at all. The mad whirring noise could be the motor trying to spin up the disc and fail but skid through instead. Like my old CD drive, which seems to have gathered dust and grease on the ring pressing on the disc and accelerating the disc, which sometimes fails to spin it up, because the disc is too "heavy" for the little friction left over. Did something fall into the drive e.g.?

3. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    I had a problem with the white tab things that hold the disk in, it wasn't easy to push them all back to where they should be before putting the wii back together

4. INTERNETS
    OP

United States
    You have to push those tabs back in? What do they look like when they're in?

Also, a thing may have fallen into the drive. It's possible that it might be causing the problem.

5. AeroScap

Member AeroScap GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hmm my drive has stopped taking discs in, could it be these white tabs not going in far enough? hmmm

6. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    leave a game in the drive when you take it apart so see, when you take the top off of the dvd drive they will all move

7. INTERNETS
    OP

United States
    You mean, they're supposed to be pushed all the way back into their neutral, notched area?

I'll have to take that in mind when I'm forced to take the drive apart and clean it. [​IMG]

8. AeroScap

Member AeroScap GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Any progress ?